Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

taking over model s lease to move up the queue for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the model 3 within the first hour the morning of the reveal but i've never owned a Tesla so my reservation will be behind existing owners. My current car's lease is up right now and i'm looking for a car to hold me over until the model 3 is delivered. Does anyone know if i take over an existing lease from a current model S lessee, would i qualify as a Tesla owner to move up the queue?

I ordered the model 3 within the first hour the morning of the reveal but i've never owned a Tesla so my reservation will be behind existing owners. My current car's lease is up right now and i'm looking for a car to hold me over until the model 3 is delivered. Does anyone know if i take over an existing lease from a current model S lessee, would i qualify as a Tesla owner to move up the queue?
Probably not, and another thing we don't know for sure is if a flag was set at the time of the reservation, if so then new owners wouldn't see a benefit. If such a flag is set later then it's certainly a possibility.

With high production rates the difference might be negligible.

I doubt this would move you up the queue, but you would be able to enjoy a Tesla earlier...and (and I may take some heat for that...) enjoy it more than a 3 when it comes out due to the unavoidable kinks that will need to be worked out with the first 3s.

Not sure if you can find decent leases on lease swapping sites, but I would considering leasing an Inventory car instead.

I expect that it WOULD make you a Tesla owner and move you up in the queue. The alternative is that we believe people leasing Teslas won't receive priority treatment by Tesla for Model 3, and I don't believe that for a second.

I'm a second owner of a Roadster, yet I'm still treated like a Tesla owner.

A different question to ask yourself - do you really want one of the very first Model 3s to ship, or would you prefer 10-50k of them get built and then get yours?

And most importantly - leasing a Model S now means you don't need to postpone your Tesla ownership experience any longer :) We got our Roadster to tide us over to Model X. That's nearly 4 years ago now, and it's tided us over well enough that we still haven't ordered our Model X.

I doubt this would move you up the queue, but you would be able to enjoy a Tesla earlier...and (and I may take some heat for that...) enjoy it more than a 3 when it comes out due to the unavoidable kinks that will need to be worked out with the first 3s.

Not sure if you can find decent leases on lease swapping sites, but I would considering leasing an Inventory car instead.

Inventory leases are 2 years. I want to get in the model 3 the first day I can so i'm looking for something closer to 13-15 months.

I expect that it WOULD make you a Tesla owner and move you up in the queue. The alternative is that we believe people leasing Teslas won't receive priority treatment by Tesla for Model 3, and I don't believe that for a second.

I'm a second owner of a Roadster, yet I'm still treated like a Tesla owner.

A different question to ask yourself - do you really want one of the very first Model 3s to ship, or would you prefer 10-50k of them get built and then get yours?

And most importantly - leasing a Model S now means you don't need to postpone your Tesla ownership experience any longer :) We got our Roadster to tide us over to Model X. That's nearly 4 years ago now, and it's tided us over well enough that we still haven't ordered our Model X.

Thank you. I would imagine that lessee's will be considered as owners. As for if I want one of the first.... YES! I'll take the first one off the assembly line if I could. Tesla generally treats customers well so if there's issues I'm sure they'll fix them and give me a nice Tesla loaner to drive. The key for me is the Model S was always too big. Sure I would be happy in it in a short term lease but I'm not going to invest heavily in it since it's just a holdover. I plan to spec the Model 3 with every option, hopefully ludicrous is available day 1. Oh and getting in before the tax break drops is nice incentive!

i would recommend leasing a BMW 3 series.. I believe they have some good deals on 24 month leases. It also comes to mind because well the model 3 seems to be influenced by it. Cost will be at $10k or less. And the maintenance is free.

Personally I ended leasing a volt (for ethical reason) but the lease is 3 years.

it's pretty much guaranteed that Tesla will ship fully speced model 3s first. That's based on what they have done with the model s and X. Also it would enable to make a lot of money immediately something which would likely make the stock pop, give tesla a bigger margin of error etc.

E.g. in my view a non existing customer which order a fully speced model 3 will receive the car much sooner than an existing customer who order a base car.