Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking P85D in for 4-year service... Anything I need to consider?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 4-year warranty is almost up on my 2015 P85D in a couple weeks and I'm taking it in for it's final service under the pre-paid service plan (I did not buy extended service plan when offered, so I think I'm on my own going forward.)

Due to life circumstances, I have not been very active in the Tesla community lately, so hoping that someone who is can catch me up on what I should consider about this ownership milestone... Is there anything I should specifically have them look at during the 4-yr service appt? I have a few minor quibbles that I hope they'll resolve (like driver's door handle not extending upon being touched, power steering groaning noises and a left turn signal that sometimes sticks.)

Should I be looking for an extended warranty from a 3rd-party? Am I likely to run into any challenges going forward that I should know about?

Thanks for any insights!
--G

Sign up for the extended warranty from Tesla. I personally stay very far away from 3rd-party warranties (written by insurance company gurus who sneak in exception clauses that increase their bottom line when they deny your claim).

If the cost for the Tesla contract seems prohibitive, put those dollars into a saving account in order to have funds available to pay for any future repairs. Better yet, take that money and buy a few more shares of TSLA ;^)

ô¿ô

Is buying an extended warranty from Tesla still an option for a four year old car? Is the generally accepted advice around here to buy an extended warranty versus taking on the risk and paying for repairs out of pocket?

Is buying an extended warranty from Tesla still an option for a four year old car? Is the generally accepted advice around here to buy an extended warranty versus taking on the risk and paying for repairs out of pocket?

I think if you asked 10 people 5 would be for and 5 against.

Add the pano roof seal to the list.

Thanks, good call. I will add pano seal to this list.

So I bit the bullet and bought the Tesla extended service warranty this afternoon for $4750. It's expensive and there's a reasonable chance I don't make the money back, but I also think there's a very good chance I'm not out the whole $4750 after 4 years either, so it's not like I'm throwing away $5k. Also, if I end up selling the car private party in the next four years, I imagine it would help maintain resale value to the tune of a few grand at least.

Reactions: Lucky_Man

So I bit the bullet and bought the Tesla extended service warranty this afternoon for $4750. It's expensive and there's a reasonable chance I don't make the money back, but I also think there's a very good chance I'm not out the whole $4750 after 4 years either, so it's not like I'm throwing away $5k. Also, if I end up selling the car private party in the next four years, I imagine it would help maintain resale value to the tune of a few grand at least.

Good decision. It's an insurance policy to have in case.

If you haven't yet, make an appointment asap, in some places appointments are more than a month our, and in some cases (like in this thread) people are reporting their annual checkups take more than 2 weeks, with cars just sitting at SC untouched for days (apparently Elon invented new way to schedule - always have a bunch of cars waiting to keep the SC staff 100% utilized, no excuses when waiting for parts or if you finish early, there are 2 weeks worth of cars always waiting to be serviced).

I'm not sure how that affects warranty, if you tried making the service appointment and couldn't get one, or got one but car sat at the SC for weeks, and then they find warranty work - will they just say "sorry, your warranty already expired"?

Yeah, already booked it for this Sat a while back. If it takes a week or two to get the car, that's fine, as long as I have a loaner. Will be interesting to see how they treat issues -- either under original warranty (no deductible) or extended ($200 deductible). I'm actually over 50k miles, but under 4 years, so we'll see. I wouldn't blame them for charging me the extended warranty deductible, but would be cool if they waived it.

Yeah, already booked it for this Sat a while back. If it takes a week or two to get the car, that's fine, as long as I have a loaner. Will be interesting to see how they treat issues -- either under original warranty (no deductible) or extended ($200 deductible). I'm actually over 50k miles, but under 4 years, so we'll see. I wouldn't blame them for charging me the extended warranty deductible, but would be cool if they waived it.
If you're past the original warranty and on extended warranty, the 4 year mark has no meaning to you then. You got however long your extended warranty lasts.

In customer support, you always want to keep your backlog around zero. That would yield high customer satisfaction score and optimal resource utilization. Currently, they are under-staffed.
Then why take the car knowing they are understaffed? Cars waiting for annual service while sitting for 2 weeks before someone looks at them is not someone calling in sick. It's either purposefully keeping a backlog, or a complete incompetency in scheduling work. How do you explain it?

You'll make the money back when your door handles and MCU fail ... more than once in the next 4 years lol

Then why take the car knowing they are understaffed? Cars waiting for annual service while sitting for 2 weeks before someone looks at them is not someone calling in sick. It's either purposefully keeping a backlog, or a complete incompetency in scheduling work. How do you explain it?

Good question. I had to because my 4yr original warranty was expiring soon and needed few items to be addressed. The SC said they will keep me informed of the service status. Based on the previous annual service, my assumption was it was going to take few days max (not three weeks) and they did not saying anything about their backlog and staff shortage. Not sure why they keep accepting cars while they have no plan to work on them soon. In addition, the part availability is also an issue. It looks like once the part arrives (ordered for a specific car) then multiple cars needing the same part compete to get it!!! Tesla needs to address these issues seriously and very soon.

Good question. I had to because my 4yr original warranty was expiring soon and needed few items to be addressed. The SC said they will keep me informed of the service status. Based on the previous annual service, my assumption was it was going to take few days max (not three weeks) and they did not saying anything about their backlog and staff shortage. Not sure why they keep accepting cars while they have no plan to work on them soon. In addition, the part availability is also an issue. It looks like once the part arrives (ordered for a specific car) then multiple cars needing the same part compete to get it!!! Tesla needs to address these issues seriously and very soon.
When they VP of service left, Elon decided he could do better so he took on the job. It seems to me Elon is dropping the ball.

(queue fanboys saying Elon is never wrong, how this service is somehow part of a greater good plan ;))

I’m in the same boat, just slightly past 50k miles but 3/15 is build date.

I just purchased the car about a month ago with 48.5k miles and had a couple things that I noticed right when I received it fixed by the mobile service, but recently noticed a few things more. I’m going to bite the bullet and get the prescribed 4 year scheduled maintenance in hopes they fix the stuff I have listed (and anything else they find) under goodwill/warranty. I think it’s a better shot than just taking it in just for those items and saying that they were already there before the mileage mark (they were, just didn’t get it in in time) especially since they are known model s issues (front louvers and sunroof leak)

Opinions on whether I’m wasting $725? Since that is a ton of money for the tasks that they perform on the maintenance.