Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking the P3D+ to my first track event tomorrow - tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learnt most from sitting in the passenger seat of coaches and other random riders (including the first Model S to hit a track which was in Sonoma. I ran the novice group then asked random people if I could sit in while they did the advanced session. Most said yes and it was fascinating to feel how the car reacted to different skill levels. Most were actually terrible drivers but their traction control made up for it - comparing that experience to a ride in a coaches spec S2000 was amazingly educational.

Definitely watch all the videos you can online about tips for each corner and passing areas (although, you most likely won't be "passing" people but rather slowing and giving a point by)

not about your ability to pass, just that in beginning sessions they don't like people to try and race.

Last edited:
Yup, point by only for this event.
yeah, when I started track racing (over 25 years ago now) everyone jumped up to the front of the queuing line before each session. Personally, I preferred to be LAST in those early days. I was much better able to focus on hitting my corners and targeting points than having someone (inevitably in the early days) on my a.. pushing me and having my move over and let them pass. Within a few track days, I was able to find my rhythm and comfortably come up on the others (even in much more powerful cars) and pass them and push ahead.

Sometimes it's also more developmental to CHASE than be chased.

just a thought

Does the model 3 need high temp brake fluid for track racing? or different brake pads?

I'm waiting for my schedule to clear up a bit to take mine to a local track but I want to have everything I need. I have a P3D+ as well and don't plan on pushing beyond reason for a first time track event.

Does the model 3 need high temp brake fluid for track racing? or different brake pads?

I'm waiting for my schedule to clear up a bit to take mine to a local track but I want to have everything I need. I have a P3D+ as well and don't plan on pushing beyond reason for a first time track event.

Any car will benefit from those two mods, but if you're a novice with a performance package you'll most likely be fine without.

Note that somewhat paradoxically, braking "gently" will heat up the brakes more than braking aggressively. Basically you want to be on the brakes for as little time as possible - so you want to brake smoothly but very firmly and get completely off the brakes as soon as possible.

From a standpoint of physics, this will heat up the surface of the brake rotors to higher temperatures, which will then also shed more heat before the heat has a chance to soak in in addition to maximizing the cooling time. Braking gently means you spend more time heating the brakes and letting the heat soak in, while there's proportionally less cooling time.

Note that when I say "aggressively," I don't mean being abrupt. Key to being fast is being smooth.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Three words. Gas, Brake, Turn.
repeat

oh, and don't go off the track. That hurts often in more ways than one. ;-(

p.s. I'll never do another track day with my daily drive tires. Tool much klag and marbles picked up and your car will sound like all wheels are out of alignment and or rotors are warped or bearings are shot till you get the marbles off.

However, I have developed the skill with a heat gun and putty spatula to get them off in the garage at home after a day of racing on track. If I had a P3D, I would have probably gotten the 18" wheels and bought aftermarket 19" wheels from a third party and kept the 18" with some track tires JUST for the track. put them on at home prior to track day, and just deal with the noise TO and FROM the track.

Tracked my old S2000 plenty of times.

Very important:
1-
Look where you want to go and your body/car will follow. Dont look on the pavement directly in front of your hood. Look ahead

2-
Your wrist should rest comfortably on the top of the steering wheel for a good seat positioning.

-all your braking should be done before you enter a turn

4-
my instructor gave me the best advice in terms of knowing YOUR limits of your car.

He said "when your sphincter muscle begins to tighten up, you are hitting your driving ability limits.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal and DR61
Have not raced on a road course before and certainly not with a 3. Anyone with experience have any tips?

I'm attending the Track Nights in America event at I70 speedway in Topeka. There is a supercharger not so far away that will get me topped off. Helmet and appropriate clothing is ready to go. I'm considering purchasing a track insurance policy as well. Looks like it will be $373. The only thing holding me back is that I'm sure I won't push it too hard...although I am a novice.

@Nocturnal So how did your track day go?

Success! I didn't crash and die or break anything.

Highlights. My experience occasionally being a jackass on the street (and honestly racing sims) definitely helped in terms of knowing when to brake going into the curves. I could really feel the low center of gravity in this car and it does feel like it is the tires that really held me back (aside from not being a good driver yet).

I was in the novice class, several mustangs, a Ferrari, some big boat of a Mercedes, a fiat smart car deal, a golf, a couple BMWs and odds and ends. I went into work early and topped off to 90% at the supercharger near the track and got to 100% over lunch on a chargepoint charger. The course is 2.5 miles and I think I wound up hitting 7 or 8 laps each round. Round 2 I lost about 60 miles of range. Getting to the track with a full charge I would have had plenty of juice to run all 3 groups and the pace laps and still be able to get to the supercharger 10 miles away. There aren't any charging stations at the Heartland Motorsports Track, but I'm sure I can find a 220 somewhere to top off instead of driving to the supercharger.

There wasn't anything on the track that embarrassed me on the straights....until my battery got hot towards the last lap or so, then a few of the faster cars such as an M2 (which may have been a little modded) were able to pull away. In the curves I think I was in the middle of the pack in terms of speed (some combo of the car and me).

The level of attention I received was interesting. The 3 doesn't really stand out in the parking lot, but when people got closer I had quite a few asking me a ton of questions and complimenting the car. A few tesla fans (but non-owners) were excited to see one there. Even had one guy say he had been iffy on Teslas but seeing mine in person changed his mind. Everyone loves the interior of course. Insurance was a smart move, I was able to drive and not stress too much.

I didn't notice any brake fade, maybe because I wasn't on the throttle enough or maybe regen really helps that. I'm really curious to see if track mode helps out with battery cooling at all. That seems to be a big handicap. although it was an unseasonably hot day.

@Nocturnal So how did your track day go?
Went great. See above.

Just about all tracks have 50 amp 14-50 hookups. You certainly wouldn't get all the juice back you used in a session but assuming 3 sessions per hour you would be able to charge for 40 minutes out of an hour at 32amp with the mobile charger. Also wonder if cooling while waiting in the pits would have been more aggressive if it was plugged in.