Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking the P3D+ to my first track event tomorrow - tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Have not raced on a road course before and certainly not with a 3. Anyone with experience have any tips?

I'm attending the Track Nights in America event at I70 speedway in Topeka. There is a supercharger not so far away that will get me topped off. Helmet and appropriate clothing is ready to go. I'm considering purchasing a track insurance policy as well. Looks like it will be $373. The only thing holding me back is that I'm sure I won't push it too hard...although I am a novice.

Last edited:
For whatever run group you're in, chat up other people. Find out who has experience at the location and ask to follow one of the more experience folks for a lap or two. In my experience, track folks are generally friendly about helping new people at a venue to learn the track -- it's in everyone's best interest for the run group to be safe.

Reactions: Jedi2155
If I can find my dang go-pro I'll try and shoot some video. Thanks for the tips guys, I found some videos of the track online which should help. I assume I'll be one of the first P3Ds to run this event, if not the first. I took delivery on August 17th and I was only #7 or 8 in the metro area at that point.

Edit, I did get the insurance. My general rule is to ensure for things that would be damaging to my financial health, plus I'll have more fun knowing that I'm covered if something crazy happens.

Last edited:
Don't be a hero, if you have to go off-track, keep the car going straight and slow down as much as possible. Trying to save it and getting into a slide on the grass or sand is a great way to flip over.

Not trying to frighten you though, have fun!
I slid sideways (and lots of other ways) on a drag strip in my Trans Am back in my early 20s. (previous car had a big antifreeze spill) I do not want to experience that again. That time I somehow only took pain off the front of the car.

Don't be a hero, if you have to go off-track, keep the car going straight and slow down as much as possible. Trying to save it and getting into a slide on the grass or sand is a great way to flip over.

Not trying to frighten you though, have fun!
+ it is very possible to bend a rim coming back onto the track from sand...like I did at Laguna Seca (fortunately just put 2 wheels off...ruined my time,1:57)

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Don't forget to take care of yourself - keep yourself hydrated and fed.

The concentration track driving takes is remarkable - if you don't take care of yourself, you'll get tired more quickly and won't get the most out of the day.

The rule of thumb is that you won't be in too much danger the first time you do this - it's usually the people who have a few track days under their belt and are starting to get cocky who end up totaling their cars.

BTW: unless this is an extremely unusual event, you won't be "racing." You're there to learn how to drive fast on a track. Unless you're exceptionally talented, you'll also see that there's a lot of skill in truly driving fast. What the pro drivers can do is a huge step above what the "weekend warriors" are typically capable of.

Most importantly - Have fun, and be safe!

Definitely lower tire pressure don’t go out at all with the stock pressure. Or the aero rims take those off for sure. I wouldn’t try and do an entire 20-30 minute session first time out. Not sure how the car will respond. Or the brakes and cooling.

Don't forget to take care of yourself - keep yourself hydrated and fed.

The concentration track driving takes is remarkable - if you don't take care of yourself, you'll get tired more quickly and won't get the most out of the day.

The rule of thumb is that you won't be in too much danger the first time you do this - it's usually the people who have a few track days under their belt and are starting to get cocky who end up totaling their cars.

BTW: unless this is an extremely unusual event, you won't be "racing." You're there to learn how to drive fast on a track. Unless you're exceptionally talented, you'll also see that there's a lot of skill in truly driving fast. What the pro drivers can do is a huge step above what the "weekend warriors" are typically capable of.

Most importantly - Have fun, and be safe!
Yes, this supposed to be intended as a learning/fun thing as opposed to focusing on time. Track night rather than a time trial etc.