Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking the plunge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have definitely wondered how Trump's election might affect attitudes towards high-end EVs...well, towards luxury and sports cars in general since Trump's campaign definitely fueled a backlash towards those perceived as elite city-dwellers. I am guessing that I, like many of you, are just normal folk who work crazy long hours to afford a desired lifestyle.

I haven't been too worried about the economics surrounding my Model X purchase because I will still be able to take advantage of the likely disappearing federal credit and will be able to enjoy free access to the Supercharger network for the life of the car (I already get electricity via solar power at home, so charging at home does not cost me either). I've been telling those concerned about the future of our environment that companies like Tesla / SolarCity will depend on those of us who can afford to purchase their products to do so, especially if Federal subsidies disappear.

Thus far the attitudes towards my Tesla have been overwhelmingly positive. I brought it to my local Coffee & Cars event where I half expected many to sneer and mock my choice given this event attracts true petrol-heads...the majority of vehicles are Porsches and classic American muscle. Instead everyone who has approached inundated me with questions, positive comments (one GT-R owner stated it, meaning electric, is the future), and thanked me for letting them view her inside and out (even though I only got mine in September, I was the first to do bring a Model X to our local show). Aside from the car guys, I also have been approached by a lot of mothers and fathers who simply view the X as the ultimate family vehicle (their children get really excited by it as well). I never get this kind of response when I bring my dream car (an Acura NSX) to the show. We'll see if the election has changed attitudes when I bring my X next month.

Speaking about my dream car, one thing that gives me peace of mind is that the dot com crash happened not terribly long after I bought my then new NSX. When the market tanked, I was so glad that I had put my money in a sports car instead of the market...I have had a LOT of fun driving her over the 16 years that I have owned her. If I had put my money in the market, I may have never been able to turn that dream into reality. No buyer's remorse. I hope I can say the same about Model X...at least I will never worry about how much it costs to refuel it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: vrykolas and Ormond
I have definitely wondered how Trump's election might affect attitudes towards high-end EVs...well, towards luxury and sports cars in general since Trump's campaign definitely fueled a backlash towards those perceived as elite city-dwellers. I am guessing that I, like many of you, are just normal folk who work crazy long hours to afford a desired lifestyle.

I haven't been too worried about the economics surrounding my Model X purchase because I will still be able to take advantage of the likely disappearing federal credit and will be able to enjoy free access to the Supercharger network for the life of the car (I already get electricity via solar power at home, so charging at home does not cost me either). I've been telling those concerned about the future of our environment that companies like Tesla / SolarCity will depend on those of us who can afford to purchase their products to do so, especially if Federal subsidies disappear.

Thus far the attitudes towards my Tesla have been overwhelmingly positive. I brought it to my local Coffee & Cars event where I half expected many to sneer and mock my choice given this event attracts true petrol-heads...the majority of vehicles are Porsches and classic American muscle. Instead everyone who has approached overwhelmed me with questions, positive comments (one GT-R owner stated it, meaning electric, is the future), and thanked me for letting them view her inside and out (even though I only got mine in September, I was the first to do bring a Model X to our local show). Aside from the car guys, I also have been approached by a lot of mothers and fathers who simply view the X as the ultimate family vehicle (their children get really excited by it as well). I never get this kind of response when I bring my dream car (an Acura NSX) to the show. We'll see if the election has changed attitudes when I bring my X next month.

Speaking about my dream car, one thing that gives me peace of mind is that the dot com crash happened not terribly long after I bought my then new NSX. When the market tanked, I was so glad that I had put my money in a sports car instead of the market...I have had a LOT of fun driving her over the 16 years that I have owned her. If I had put my money in the market, I may have never been able to turn that dream into reality. No buyer's remorse. I hope I can say the same about Model X...at least I will never worry about how much it costs to refuel it.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I haven't met any X owners in real life, so it's very reassuring hearing from you guys.

Scene : Four lane divided highway at dusk, cruising along with family in our Tesla Model S.

In my rear view I see a raised big wheeled pickup catching us fast. I "punch it" and the truck fades back.
A few minutes later, I had let off and was cruising again when the truck caught us up.
I move over to let them pass thinking the worst of anyone who'd drive such a gas guzzling beast.
They roll down the passenger window, it's two guys with big beards and they yell "Tesla!!! Great car man!!".

My family laughed the entire way home.

Just buy the Tesla, you will have so many "Tesla moments" it will surprise you.

Reactions: vrykolas
Scene : Four lane divided highway at dusk, cruising along with family in our Tesla Model S.

In my rear view I see a raised big wheeled pickup catching us fast. I "punch it" and the truck fades back.
A few minutes later, I had let off and was cruising again when the truck caught us up.
I move over to let them pass thinking the worst of anyone who'd drive such a gas guzzling beast.
They roll down the passenger window, it's two guys with big beards and they yell "Tesla!!! Great car man!!".

My family laughed the entire way home.

Just buy the Tesla, you will have so many "Tesla moments" it will surprise you.

LOL

Great story!

We placed our order 2 days ago :)

I appreciate your comment- thank you.

Sure, relatively speaking, my profession places my family in the upper middle class, and affords us the Model X straight cash. But we're also "normal" folks in the sense that we shop Walmart, Aldi, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco... And we live in an area where there are many have nots, and a region where 1 of 10 vehicles is a monster truck wannabe raking coal at every light. So sure, the thought of those beautiful FWDs being a magnet of haters also crosses my mind.
Sound like you live in a concealed carry state. Pack your best weapon, train and be ready!

Not counting my own, I encountered as many as four Model Xs (I may have counted one twice) during lunch today. At one intersection within the parking lot, a dark grey one was on my left waiting to turn and a white one was at the opposing stop sign. I guess production really has ramped up.

And I have yet to see another guy driving one...am I the only one?

Not counting my own, I encountered as many as four Model Xs (I may have counted one twice) during lunch today. At one intersection within the parking lot, a dark grey one was on my left waiting to turn and a white one was at the opposing stop sign. I guess production really has ramped up.

And I have yet to see another guy driving one...am I the only one?

Nope. Both the ones I've seen the gender of the driver on were male, and I drive one every day.
Walter

UPDATE 12/04/2016

My X is in production!!!!! :D

Hi all, I've been a long-time lurker of this and the general forums.

I thought I'd come out of the woodwork and say hi today, the day my wife and I will place our deposit for the X 90D.

After having deliberated over the pros and cons (financial, social, technical, spiritual) ad nauseam, we did an extended test drive (having 2 little ones in car seats, a regular test drive just wasn't practical).

It was a combination of the test drive experience, AP2 coming out, and lastly today's announcement of limiting long distance supercharging on future sales that led us to take the plunge sooner rather than waiting on the possible 100D.

I want to sincerely thank the regulars on this forum for having taken the time to provide all your feedback.

Cheers!

Reactions: ModelX and ohmman