Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tale the US leased tesla to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>US residents temporarily in Canada may operate their US registered vehicle while they are in Canada without issue for up to 12 months provided they have adequate third party liability coverage.

>Visitors and temporary residents​

>You can bring your vehicle into Canada temporarily as a visitor or temporary resident. Your vehicle doesn't have to meet Canadian standards and must be only for your own use.

>You can also bring your vehicle for personal use while you're in Canada on a work permit or student visa. You're considered a visitor in this case. However, if your status changes, your vehicle may no longer qualify for temporary entry.

>As a temporary import, your vehicle cannot:

• be sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada
  • remain in Canada longer than the limit on your work permit, visa or other customs document
  • remain in Canada if you're staying longer

Upvote 0
Yes, apparently no warranty coverage though.

Source:. I tried to contact us Tesla and buy from there instead of Canada due to cheaper price.
Incorrect. The Tesla warranty is North America-wide, regardless of place of purchase.
I had some warranty work done on my Canadian Tesla, while en route to South Carolina. I called them (Cranberry PA Service Centre), they took me in, fixed it, and was on my way.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
Incorrect. The Tesla warranty is North America-wide, regardless of place of purchase.
I had some warranty work done on my Canadian Tesla, while en route to South Carolina. I called them (Cranberry PA Service Centre), they took me in, fixed it, and was on my way.
I have no doubt they covered you. But it doesn't seem to be official. I don't see that in writing anywhere. May have just been good will.

If that was case I'll purchase from the US and deal with the import!

Upvote 0
I have no doubt they covered you. But it doesn't seem to be official. I don't see that in writing anywhere. May have just been good will.

If that was case I'll purchase from the US and deal with the import!
Importing a new car vs servicing a non-domestic car are different issues. Importing a new vehicle means that Tesla would have to make changes to the car to meet Canadian standards. There are about 3-4 items that need to be done. Daytime running lights being the biggest.

This happens whenever there is a big currency discrepancy between Canada and the US. When I bought my S, the cars were cheaper in Canada - especially used ones. As such, several members of the Ontario Club opted to sell their used S models to the US rather than Canada. Up until a couple of years ago, Tesla opted to only allow Roadsters into Canada - now it's all models.

My guess is that Tesla US is protecting it's Canadian operation by saying it won't service a new US car to meet Canadian standards. Tesla has always serviced cars on either side of the border, regardless of its' origin. The OP should not have any issue getting service in Canada.

There are a bunch of threads about this already on this forum. The problem would go away if Tesla would adjust their prices to reflect currency.....but don't hold your breath. Until VW and others start bringing cars into Canada, Tesla has limited competition....so why change

Upvote 0
Importing a new car vs servicing a non-domestic car are different issues. Importing a new vehicle means that Tesla would have to make changes to the car to meet Canadian standards. There are about 3-4 items that need to be done. Daytime running lights being the biggest.

This happens whenever there is a big currency discrepancy between Canada and the US. When I bought my S, the cars were cheaper in Canada - especially used ones. As such, several members of the Ontario Club opted to sell their used S models to the US rather than Canada. Up until a couple of years ago, Tesla opted to only allow Roadsters into Canada - now it's all models.

My guess is that Tesla US is protecting it's Canadian operation by saying it won't service a new US car to meet Canadian standards. Tesla has always serviced cars on either side of the border, regardless of its' origin. The OP should not have any issue getting service in Canada.

There are a bunch of threads about this already on this forum. The problem would go away if Tesla would adjust their prices to reflect currency.....but don't hold your breath. Until VW and others start bringing cars into Canada, Tesla has limited competition....so why change
I imported my model 3 last year without any modifications or issues. Warranty is still available based on the service calls I’ve done. The biggest pain was service Ontario trying to make me pay the PST portion on my car despite it being exempt. I had to call the ministry of finance to sort this out but other than that we had no issues.

Upvote 0