Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me down. Considering a refreshed S over the Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can afford the S, but have been expecting to buy a Y.

Please help talk me off the ledge. The new S is so awesome and I want it so much...it's "only $20,000" more assuming that I pass on the FSD that I was planning on including on my Y.

Am I crazy to be considering the S over the Y???

why you want us to talk you out??

If you love S more than Y, and can afford it comfortably, go for the S!

what you don’t want is to ask yourself “what if” after dumping $60k on a MY!

my wife want to sit high in a SUV, and doesn’t like the falcon wing door on MX, so our decision on the MY is easy.

If you can afford the new S then Y haven't you placed an order for it yet?!

Do it! Forget the Y. S is will be better in every way. You'd regret getting the Y when you could have gotten the new S for just a little more. Look at the Y, then look at the S. Nuff said.

I might even consider the new S now in a few years just because of that insane interior refresh. The hype is real for a reason

You think Elon drives a Y? No he drives an S for a reason!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I was planning on buying a 2020 MS when I went for the MY. The MS is hard to get in and out of, especially in bad weather. I also like the better view, less headlight glare, and comfort of sitting higher. (Both the car and seat are notably higher in the MY.)

I really disliked how the screen in the MS (and MX) crowded my knee, but that issue is fixed now. Hopefully the cup holder is in a better spot now as well.

I don’t know which car is right for you.
For me, I’d far rather have the 3 or Y over an S. Basically due to the size of the S, it is just too big for me.
For a choice between the Y with FSD and the S without, the choice is even easier. I love FSD.
Then add $20k on top of that???

My choice would be the Y, but I don’t know if that is right for you.

ALL of the above disclaimers against the S vs. the Y...except...

For me, if your region has rough roads, the more compliant and comfortable ride of the S is superior to the MY. The MY is killing us here in the DFW region because of the rough uneven concrete slab highway surfaces.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
We were just in the process of buying a new Performance Y in January and I asked myself for the relatively small cost to upgrade to the S, why not with the $69,420 starting price the LR+ is a bargain for what you get. The LR plus Raven S has far better comfort, range and very similar performance compared to the Performance Y. The S is very comparable to an SUV in that it has more rear space than the Y and the current generation Model S seats are much easier to enter and exit compared to our first 2016 Model S. The Raven S is the most refined S by a great deal with each revision putting the car ahead of the last.

We were just in the process of buying a new Performance Y in January and I asked myself for the relatively small cost to upgrade to the S, why not with the $69,420 starting price the LR+ is a bargain for what you get. The LR plus Raven S has far better comfort, range and very similar performance compared to the Performance Y. The S is very comparable to an SUV in that it has more rear space than the Y and the current generation Model S seats are much easier to enter and exit compared to our first 2016 Model S. The Raven S is the most refined S by a great deal with each revision putting the car ahead of the last.

Was right there with you--looking at Model Y Performance vs long range S over the past few weeks. Don't need an SUV (already have wife's Audi SQ5) and coming from an Audi S4, was thinking sedan might be better option for me. However, with the redesign it is suddenly a much more expensive proposition. I can afford the S, but the practical side of me finds it hard to justify that much additional $ over the performance Y. Sure, the new S has more range and is faster, but its all relative........still contemplating things, but likely to put in an order for the Y shortly (once we get a little closer to spring--summer performance tires don't work well in snow!)

Was right there with you--looking at Model Y Performance vs long range S over the past few weeks. Don't need an SUV (already have wife's Audi SQ5) and coming from an Audi S4, was thinking sedan might be better option for me. However, with the redesign it is suddenly a much more expensive proposition. I can afford the S, but the practical side of me finds it hard to justify that much additional $ over the performance Y. Sure, the new S has more range and is faster, but its all relative........still contemplating things, but likely to put in an order for the Y shortly (once we get a little closer to spring--summer performance tires don't work well in snow!)
I think after reading lots of posts on here that the Y energy consumption maybe similar to our experience with our P3 in that the smaller Teslas really struggle to achieve the rated energy consumption per mile that they claim. In our S’s we have no issues with the range or meeting the official ratings. I haven’t bought a 2022 S but my new Raven S we got last month wasn’t much more expensive than the Performance Y we were considering and the S is so much more car plus has much more sophisticated suspension giving far better comfort even running on our 21" performance tires. The S cargo capacity is 60 cubic feet vs 68 cubic feet in the Y but the S only gives up that 8 cubic feet because it has a sleeker roofline but makes up for that with a longer cavernous cargo area. I always want the newest and the best and I’m not sure how I will feel in a few months after the new S’s start arriving but the current Raven S is by far the most refined S so it offers amazing comfort and versatility.

I think after reading lots of posts on here that the Y energy consumption maybe similar to our experience with our P3 in that the smaller Teslas really struggle to achieve the rated energy consumption per mile that they claim. In our S’s we have no issues with the range or meeting the official ratings. I haven’t bought a 2022 S but my new Raven S we got last month wasn’t much more expensive than the Performance Y we were considering and the S is so much more car plus has much more sophisticated suspension giving far better comfort even running on our 21" performance tires. The S cargo capacity is 60 cubic feet vs 68 cubic feet in the Y but the S only gives up that 8 cubic feet because it has a sleeker roofline but makes up for that with a longer cavernous cargo area. I always want the newest and the best and I’m not sure how I will feel in a few months after the new S’s start arriving but the current Raven S is by far the most refined S so it offers amazing comfort and versatility.

Don't know about the energy consumption issues/theory (could be right) but completely follow your logic on the Raven S from a vehicle features/functionality standpoint. If it were six months ago (ie that option still existed), I'd likely be doing the same thing. However, now with it being 61k vs 79.9k, I am hard pressed to justify an extra 20k. Actually, would be more if I ordered an S as I really don't like the base S wheels so would be replacing those. Bottom line, 20k+ extra, not likely to do it. This is my first EV so I am sort of testing the waters so to speak--next dilemma is lease vs buy--I am concerned about technology improvements over the next few years and not sure my usual strategy of buy and drive for 6-7 years will work so well in the EV space......enjoy your new S. (Red one in your profile photo? Good looking, for sure!)