Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me down...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I along with countless others excitedly put my deposit down shortly after the CT was announced. We have an Airstream (which would pair nicely) with the CT and we are starting to have some reservations/concerns with towing now. The biggest concern is Super charging stations when towing. All the Supercharger locations I’ve been at with my MY will NOT be able to accommodate staying hitched to the trailer. Now I have to find a place to unhitch (which is not the easiest) and then set back up before departing. Towing already slows down the process and I see this making it way more sluggish. Also with the rise in sales and Elon on the Q4 call saying he’s open to possibly allowing non Tesla’s at the stations worries me as a current owner on space. I’m tossing the idea around just buying a new ICE truck as it seems a better scenario. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited about the CT, but practical use as a towing truck doesn’t seem logical.

I along with countless others excitedly put my deposit down shortly after the CT was announced. We have an Airstream (which would pair nicely) with the CT and we are starting to have some reservations/concerns with towing now. The biggest concern is Super charging stations when towing. All the Supercharger locations I’ve been at with my MY will NOT be able to accommodate staying hitched to the trailer. Now I have to find a place to unhitch (which is not the easiest) and then set back up before departing. Towing already slows down the process and I see this making it way more sluggish. Also with the rise in sales and Elon on the Q4 call saying he’s open to possibly allowing non Tesla’s at the stations worries me as a current owner on space. I’m tossing the idea around just buying a new ICE truck as it seems a better scenario. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited about the CT, but practical use as a towing truck doesn’t seem logical.

Unhitching to charge is definitely going to be a pain in the neck. Fortunately, I’m starting to see a few supercharger installations where the layout makes it possible to charge without disconnecting the trailer. Hopefully that trend continues.

How inconvenient it actually is depends on what battery size you choose and how far you plan to go in a day. With the 500 mile range battery pack, I’d expect a realistic 200+ miles per charge while towing. If you’re driving 500 miles per day, you could do it with one or two charging stops, minimizing the hassle.

I’m really looking forward to the Cybertruck and the idea of using its battery pack to power a camper, rather than relying on a generator or the grid. Tri-motor is on order.

Last edited:
Another consideration is your choice of trailer. Choosing the most aerodynamic trailer you can will pay off in reduced charging time and longer battery life. Managing driving speed is important, too. You’ll use a lot more energy at 70 miles per hour than you will at 55 miles per hour, so managing speed will be similarly important while towing.

Another consideration is your choice of trailer. Choosing the most aerodynamic trailer you can will pay off in reduced charging time and longer battery life. Managing driving speed is important, too. You’ll use a lot more energy at 70 miles per hour than you will at 55 miles per hour, so managing speed will be similarly important while towing.

Luckily Airstreams are one of the most aerodynamic trailers around. I optioned for the Tri Motor and do only expect about 200-250 range while towing. Also the Tri Motors are going to take longer to charge because of capacity so stall availability will change. The current network is ok as of today but more and more are buying and using. As far as the dozen or so stations I’ve been at; most do seem to have any room to reorganize for pull throughs and such for the changing need as CT and more Tesla’s hit the market.

Reactions: GSP and Big Earl
I've not seen many Super charger's that even had space for a pull-through for a non-hitched CT. Those that are in Olive Garden (as an example) parking lots and the such, could never support it.

I am more hopeful that Tesla will partner with more truck stops across the country. Those stops generally have the bigger lots with plenty of space to not only have a line of pull-through super/mega chargers, but the area so that people don't have to do any backing up/turning around. Most people aren't so good with that & a trailer. If they have to do that to get a charge we are going to see a good number of "whoops" videos posted from people waiting in line behind them.

When I pulled a smaller trailer behind my X, it only took me about 5 minutes to unhook or retook to allow Supercharging. Always was able to find a parking lot nearby where I could park the trailer while Supercharging.

It was a bit of a hassle, but really not that big a deal.

Not sure how much time it will take to hook and unhook your Airstream.

Backup camera made aligning tow ball with trailer hitch pretty easy.

Had to lay on the ground to deal with tow chains though.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mark95476
There is already a couple tow threads; basically if you are going to be towing an RV any reasonable distance, the Cybertruck isn't going to be the right tool for the job. Spending big $ for the 500 mile version which gets you closer, makes no financial sense unless money has no meaning to you. I plan on adding a 20' Airstream and a GMC Canyon diesel to pull it. A diesel is going to be the best option for distance towing.

Consider yourself talked down. ;)

• Funny
I'm going to ask on behalf of others that are also unaware of campground operations. Do they provide 110 or 220 at the hook ups? Would it be possible to charge there? Certainly factors like duration of stay will be a factor.

It depends on the campground. Cost also varies quite a bit - be sure to call and confirm their availability and pricing before committing to travel.

Some campgrounds offer "50 amp service," which is 50 amps at 240 volts. If you're looking to charge your Tesla, 50 amp service is your best option. A modern Tesla will charge at 32 amps (7.6 kW), which is the maximum output of the mobile connector. It would take just over 8 hours to add 60 kWh to the battery pack.

Some campgrounds only offer "30 amp service," which is 30 amps at 120 volts. You'll need a special TT-30 adapter that is designed specifically for EV charging. A modern Tesla will charge at 24 amps at 120 volts (2.8 kW). This is okay if your other choices are limited, like in remote parts of Canada and Alaska. It would take just over 21 hours to add 60 kWh to the battery pack.

www.plugshare.com is a good resource for finding EV charging options. Filter by NEMA 14-50 if you're looking for campgrounds with 50 amp service.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H