Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me IN or OUT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with some of the above points, but have to quibble with some, too.

Was my first attempt to buy used through Tesla a swing and a miss? Yes, but I got all my money back ($100) after a few e-mails, a better result than “policy” might have predicted.

Is Tesla’s used purchase site suboptimal? Yes, so run straight to EVCPO.com and research, research, research. I fine tuned my parameters for more than three months. And, call Tesla and ask the sales rep a LOT of questions about the SPECIFIC car you’re looking at. A good one will look at every picture with you.

On the “when you have a problem” part, I’d quibble. Not long after I got my car, I got an error indicating my camera needed to be realigned. The error came and went. But I was able to get Tesla support on the phone and they started me through troubleshooting. (Unfortunately, I lost the call after they told me to reboot the main computer in the car.) Anyway, ultimately I scheduled a service center visit. The techs were helpful and stated right away what they thought the issue and fix were (a borderline camera pitch issue, which explained the coming-and-going). By the end of the day, I was back in my Tesla, and everything has been fine since.

Have some (too many?) posters here had bad experiences? Yes. Does that make it a rule? I don’t think so.

I do think that most of us here (eg those without a high risk tolerance and/or a desire to do some advanced repair work on their own) would say get a warranty, either from Tesla or X-care. Repairs can be expensive.

Todd

So, to summarize, your "success story" of your personal experience with Tesla was them giving you your money back when the car sucked. Most people wouldn't categorize that as a victory but for some reason we grade Tesla on quite the curve.

Also, I noticed you said you had to email about your deposit... most would prefer calling over something so important as backing out of a car deal but I guess if your rep was responsive this wasn't as big of a deal to you. Now try a scenario where you try to refuse delivery and your salesperson isn't "in that day" which is a lie because they're not on-site (more on that later) so you email and don't get a response. Days go by along with several more emails and... nothing. Then he comes back to say that he will "talk to a manager to see if they will allow you to transfer it to another car" making it sound like they're doing you a favor to even allow that much. Then, when you say you'd rather be refunded they make it sound like this isn't a normal occurrence but they'll try to make an exception for you and then.... radio silence. You can't call anyone because they don't answer and all of their voice mail boxes are too full to even leave a damn message. In your case, you lucked out. Be thankful it didn't require more than that or you'd still be cussing them to this day the way most are.

You also lucked out because some of the situations where you actually buy the car and are now FORCED to deal with issues can be worse. I had one car take SIX MONTHS to get title work. Stop and think about that for a second before you brush it off as no big deal. Nobody at Tesla had any clue how to fix it and I talked to literally dozens of people from the Pacific Northwest to where I am in Colorado and all over the country to get a resolution. Nightmare. Believe it or not, that's but one problem in the dozens or so we had on that car alone. I though it was an outlier and the next two used car Tesla purchases proved this was no exception but indeed the rule. We bought all three from different regions and worked with an entirely new team of individuals each time with similar horrific results.

Funny that you talk about calling your sales rep (good luck) and asking tons of specific questions because they've never even seen your car. Ever. There's a dozen "sales experts" that hand hundreds of calls and emails a day and exactly ZERO of them have hands on any of the actual cars. Not one. All of the used cars are housed off-site at various locations and none of the sales experts are located at said sights. Looking at pictures means nothing. In my experience (again, bought three... deposits on several) they do a really good job of taking a 100-mile photo of a panel with "some" damage. Then, when the car arrives weeks later, the damage is far worse than the picture indicated but they will try to tell you "well, that was in the photo so you agreed to that damage.

It's also like pulling teeth to even get to see the car before signing paperwork as is also by design with Tesla. You have to demand to look it over first and, reluctantly, they may let you see it. Don't even bother asking to drive it because they will laugh you out of the building. Shady, shady, SHADY used car tactics worse that used car dealerships to try to sell cars to otherwise unsuspecting buyers.

You then say you'd quibble the "when you have a problem" part and then go on to say how you had a problem in the same breath. ROFL Okay. Not sure how your experience allows you to "quibble" with my saying that you will have a problem. I never said they wouldn't fix it (that would be another conversation entirely but you'll find that warranty denial threads are on uptick lately as well) I said that you'd have a problem. The reason I know this is because the "70-Point Inspection" these used Teslas get is an absolute lie. It's spit out with zero recourse to try to make people feel at ease about buying directly from Tesla. The examples of how this can't possible be true is countless with stuff ranging from french fries to incredibly dangerous safety issues that would have been easily caught if anyone actually looked at the car. Just because you had a rare positive experience with the service center near you doesn't mean this will be the same story for everyone everywhere.

It's not "some" users. Even if it were, the fact that you can't call anyone at Tesla by design should tell you all you need to know about what you can expect for customer service. Sure, for the majority if the known issues that come up due to poor engineering they can correct them in the field easily. For the outlier cases it quickly turns into a nightmare when you have nobody to contact and nobody to old accountable until your issues is resolved. This has absolutely nothing to do with expectations or inability to do repair work on our own which is the next statement you make to try to bolster your incorrect case. This assumes you know a lot more about me than you obviously do so I'd leave the assumptions out of the conversation because you don't know me. Getting a warranty from the very entity that will ignore you when you actually need warranty work isn't fixing anything.

I'm happy that you had a good experience but the planets aligned perfectly for you (and you still had issues) compared to most people who share their experience.

To me it is the principal of the thing! I am going to give my Model 3 to one of my kids and buy a new Model S with the 400 mile range. I don't drive the Model 3 on trips as I don't like to drive off the freeway to find a charger in some shopping center and then lose 1/2 hr. My XKR handles as well, is faster than my Model 3 and rides much smoother. I think the new Model S is a good price and has a lot to offer. If one is a true Tesla fan and enjoys the computer as a toy then pay the $7,000 for FDS. My pride will not allow me to pay $7,000 for a promise and then not get what I paid for.

Last edited:
To me it is the principal of the thing! I am going to give my Model 3 to one of my kids and buy a new Model S with the 400 mile range. I don't drive the Model 3 on trips as I don't like to drive off the freeway to find a charger in some shopping center and then lose 1/2 hr. My XKR handles as well, is faster than my Model 3 and rides much smoother. I think the new Model S is a good price and has a lot to offer. If one is a true Tesla fan and enjoys the computer as a toy then pay the $7,000 for FDS. My pride will not allow me to pay $7,000 for a promise and then not get what I paid for.

Good idea. I live in Ohio by the Ohio Turnpike and travel that often. I wish Tesla would put SuperChargers on the Ohio Turnpike break areas. I would think that would a no brainer for them and would be really convienant than trying to get to a supercharger off the turnpike.

I think you should stick with plan and buy used BMW, Porsche or Mercedes. You haven’t listed any reason for getting a Tesla but a much of reasons why you love your way of buying cars. I say keep it continue.
Main drivers for me are just having an electric car that's kinda quick, has cool features, gets updates, and the big center screen is cool. You do have other manufacturers with electric cars but none are as refined as Tesla.

Main drivers for me are just having an electric car that's kinda quick, has cool features, gets updates, and the big center screen is cool. You do have other manufacturers with electric cars but none are as refined as Tesla.
I also like how Tesla started from the ground up designing an EV and it shows. Other manufacturers try to adapt their existing ICE fleet to EV and it shows. Sometimes in painful and comical ways. Tesla really is the fresh breath that the car segment needed for decades. Too bad they can't support that level of thinking with at least acceptable (I'm not even expecting the white-glove experience they used to bring to the table) customer service anymore.

You didn't say if you had S class, 7 series or smaller models. If the former you're an S man. If the latter you're a 3 man. Both can be found easily in your budget but any 3 has newer tech than the S in that range
Past cars have included a BMW 5 series, Porsche cayenne, Mercedes ML, Jaguar S-type, Audi A6, and some others.
When you say any 3 has newer tech than the S, what do you mean? I would think the S, even if it's older is more technically advanced than the 3, unless it's a base model

Past cars have included a BMW 5 series, Porsche cayenne, Mercedes ML, Jaguar S-type, Audi A6, and some others.
When you say any 3 has newer tech than the S, what do you mean? I would think the S, even if it's older is more technically advanced than the 3, unless it's a base model

regardless of the tech, I think you're going to be much happier in the S. most of your cars are larger. the 3 is small.

I have a feeling a lot of the negative experiences are also location-specific. For example, in my area I have dealt with just about all the local service centers (Owings Mills, MD - initial delivery of my 85D, Cherry Hill, NJ - initial delivery of my 100D, Devon, PA (100D service), Wilmington, DE (100D service) and I have not yet had a bad experience. Maybe I am lucky or I am the "exception to the rule".

The OP never noted how much driving he does on a daily basis or how many miles a year he travels. This will greatly impact his purchasing decision but like others said, you go for the most range you can get. During the winter months, expect to get about 60% of your stated range but can you precondition the car while plugged in at home to mitigate that to an extent.

I also agree with other people here that up until fairly recently, AP1 and AP2/2.5 were comparable. This is no longer the case with AP3 but I'd still say that AP1 is substantially more capable than any other manufacturer's adaptive cruise control system.

For warranty purposes, if you buy from Tesla, you can get a 2/up to 100k or 4/50k depending on the age of the car and whether it has over 50k miles on it. You do have the option of buying a third-party warranty as noted by others here.

Other shops won't touch Teslas and parts are only available from Tesla themselves or wrecked cars.

It's luck of the draw. You might get a reliable car that lasts without needing any service or it might break down all the time and, even if you have warranty dealing with Tesla Service is brutally awful depending on where you live.

I have a feeling a lot of the negative experiences are also location-specific. For example, in my area I have dealt with just about all the local service centers (Owings Mills, MD - initial delivery of my 85D, Cherry Hill, NJ - initial delivery of my 100D, Devon, PA (100D service), Wilmington, DE (100D service) and I have not yet had a bad experience. Maybe I am lucky or I am the "exception to the rule".

The OP never noted how much driving he does on a daily basis or how many miles a year he travels. This will greatly impact his purchasing decision but like others said, you go for the most range you can get. During the winter months, expect to get about 60% of your stated range but can you precondition the car while plugged in at home to mitigate that to an extent.

I also agree with other people here that up until fairly recently, AP1 and AP2/2.5 were comparable. This is no longer the case with AP3 but I'd still say that AP1 is substantially more capable than any other manufacturer's adaptive cruise control system.

For warranty purposes, if you buy from Tesla, you can get a 2/up to 100k or 4/50k depending on the age of the car and whether it has over 50k miles on it. You do have the option of buying a third-party warranty as noted by others here.
My daily commute is 120 miles round-trip 4 days a week, plus wherever I go on my weekends and off days. I drive a lot. Probably 20-25k miles a year

Wow! I’m impressed that my little post inspired so many electrons!

So, first, I never said the first car “sucked”; I only said it was in the wrong place.

Second, I never said I “had” to e-mail about the deposit. I just e-mailed by choice; I never tried to call.

Third, online buying is where we’re at these days, so I’ll take the warts...though I didn’t have to. The experience I had on the car I ultimately bought was great! My rep was awesome and I’ll give anyone her name (so, nobody should claim they can’t get a good one; you CAN).

Fourth, every car has problems. Our top-rated Toyota has problems. My Tesla experience dealing with a problem was at least as good as my Toyota experience dealing with a problem. And, I never said my experience with Tesla was what everyone should expect. But, frankly, I think most people would be pleased if their service center treated them as well as mine did me.

Finally, I had no trouble getting someone on the phone who was prepared to work with me to solve my problem. It was easy to get them on the phone.

I hate that anyone has a bad experience with Tesla, and I EXPRESSLY asked my sales rep when I purchased how to avoid having a bad service experience with Tesla BECAUSE of all the bad comments here. It was the thing I was most nervous about.

But, I don’t think it’s fair to anyone to discount the good (or normal) experiences people have. They should just be weighed fairly against all the other experiences. And, people should just evaluate those all together.

Todd

Wow! I’m impressed that my little post inspired so many electrons!

So, first, I never said the first car “sucked”; I only said it was in the wrong place.

Second, I never said I “had” to e-mail about the deposit. I just e-mailed by choice; I never tried to call.

Third, online buying is where we’re at these days, so I’ll take the warts...though I didn’t have to. The experience I had on the car I ultimately bought was great! My rep was awesome and I’ll give anyone her name (so, nobody should claim they can’t get a good one; you CAN).

Fourth, every car has problems. Our top-rated Toyota has problems. My Tesla experience dealing with a problem was at least as good as my Toyota experience dealing with a problem. And, I never said my experience with Tesla was what everyone should expect. But, frankly, I think most people would be pleased if their service center treated them as well as mine did me.

Finally, I had no trouble getting someone on the phone who was prepared to work with me to solve my problem. It was easy to get them on the phone.

I hate that anyone has a bad experience with Tesla, and I EXPRESSLY asked my sales rep when I purchased how to avoid having a bad service experience with Tesla BECAUSE of all the bad comments here. It was the thing I was most nervous about.

But, I don’t think it’s fair to anyone to discount the good (or normal) experiences people have. They should just be weighed fairly against all the other experiences. And, people should just evaluate those all together.

Todd

In my case everyone on the phone was nice but all they say "we will investigate'. Last person i spoke said "if you dont get your money back call us back in one month". He could say "if you dont get help in one year call us back".
Makes no difference to me.
I guess in one month they will "investigate" again!
I think in my case Tesla finance department is main problem.
Some people don`t see their refund full payment money for 3 months, i read that on reddit.
Tesla is keeping $75k for 3 months!
That person can not use his money to purchase another vehicle because Tesla is keeping their money.
I never heard this in my life. Is it even legal ?

Questions/concerns I have:

Any specific model/year you would suggest for my first Tesla, given my history?

What are typical repair/running costs like, assuming things break? Can independent mechanics fix these cars now?

I’ve heard range can be cut in half in colder climates, brakes can rust away from non-use – I live in NJ

I can increase my budget to 60k, but is it worth it? That’s nearly double what I’ve ever paid for a car

TL DR: I’m considering buying a Tesla, but it’s probably the most expensive car I’ve ever bought, and I’m concerned about keeping it running for a reasonable amount. Should I make the jump?
If you're not sure; don't.

We don't need any more wobblies.

I’ve heard range can be cut in half in colder climates, brakes can rust away from non-use – I live in NJ

I live 60 miles north-west of Toronto, on the edge of the Lake Huron snow belt. Suffice to say, that our winters are snowier and colder than yours. The only time I have experienced a 50% loss of range is when it is really cold (below 5F) and I have to make short trips with many stops.

Where possible I preheat the car prior to leaving. On longer trips (over 30 miles) the battery warms up, and you don't lose nearly as much range. On average, I lose about 25% range driving in winter.

RE brakes: you still use your brakes to completely stop the car, and occasionally give them a pump. No rust issues ( or replacement pads ) in 5 1/2 years, 90,000 miles.

This is the Model S forum but in that price range you may also want to consider a new Model 3.

A new Model 3 LR AWD is $46,990, and is eligible for New Jersey's $5,000 EV rebate, which would bring the price down to $41,990 (I am not from NJ so you should confirm you would qualify). Eligible Vehicles | Charge Up New Jersey

A new Model 3 requires almost no maintenance -- the first scheduled maintenance is after two years -- and the new car would be under warranty so you wouldn't have to worry about paying for repairs out of warranty for a while.

Especially factoring in savings from maintenance and gas, this should be in your price range. Depreciation on Model 3s has also been excellent.
Tesla Model 3 Holds Value Better Than Every Other Car In USA — By Far

Last edited:
This is the Model S forum but in that price range you may also want to consider a new Model 3.

A new Model 3 LR AWD is $46,990, and is eligible for New Jersey's $5,000 EV rebate, which would bring the price down to $41,990 (I am not from NJ so you should confirm you would qualify). Eligible Vehicles | Charge Up New Jersey

A new Model 3 requires almost no maintenance -- the first scheduled maintenance is after two years -- and the new car would be under warranty so you wouldn't have to worry about paying for repairs out of warranty for a while.

Especially factoring in savings from maintenance and gas, this should be in your price range. Depreciation on Model 3s has also been excellent.
Tesla Model 3 Holds Value Better Than Every Other Car In USA — By Far
I thought I would get more value/size/space/features from a used Model S, that's why I was leaning more towards the S... I'm a big fan of depreciated cars

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
A used Tesla with a good warranty does not have to be "well beyond $40k." You can get a used Tesla Model S dual motor (AWD) with a full 4 years/50k miles limited warranty for as little as $44,500 through Tesla right now, and there have been ones cheaper than that.
2016 Model S | Tesla

You can also get newer Model 3s with dual motor (AWD) and balance of 4/50 warranty for low $40s through Tesla right now, and there have been ones cheaper than that as well.

You also don't have to limit yourself to only Tesla-sourced cars as there are extended warranties available for Teslas through X-Care.
X-Care - Xcelerate Auto
Thanks for the tip. I took a look at the warranty you referenced and they exclude an awful lot, not sure if that would be an issue. Still a good choice or the only game in town?

I thought I would get more value/size/space/features from a used Model S, that's why I was leaning more towards the S... I'm a big fan of depreciated cars

You will never win with a Tesla. You should reconsider.

Unlike with other cars, Tesla can introduce a new technology out of the blue or drop the prices significantly, and your car will depreciate even more. They can also take away features, even range or charging speed.

This is not like any other car manufacturer and you have to understand what you are getting into.

PS: The upside is try can also introduce some cool new features or upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I do not think a first-time owner needs AP2 let alone FSD, especially given that the OP is used to driving used cars which, by definition, never have the latest technology.

In my own case, my Tesla was the first new car I ever bought in 48 years of owning cars. Prior to that, I had never paid more then $15,000 for a car, and always drove Mercedes. So to me, even having Bluetooth and navigation were new experiences! If people just want to drive, they do not need to start lusting after AP2 right out of the box. And FSD is a waste of money in my opinion, until and unless it ever works much better than it does now. My car's AP1 is much more reliable than AP2 at what it does, and it still is imperfect and requires monitoring.

I would add one more caution to the OP: How much are you going to depend upon this car? If you buy a used one, the Tesla used-car warranty will protect you from the cost of repairs, but it won't help you avoid having the car out of service. My car has just over 50,000 miles and is currently laid up and unable to drive for two weeks because of a parking brake caliper failure. I have another week to go before my service appointment. Two years ago, my car was tied up for two weeks because of the steering rack failure. Fortunately in that case, Roadside Assistance brought the car to the service center, and they gave me a loaner that I drove for the two weeks it took to get parts. There was a recall on the rack, so it would have been free even if the car was out of warranty, but if no loaner had been available, I would have had no car for 2 weeks. So that is my only caution -- but since the OP is used to driving used cars, I assume and trust that he is also willing to take the risk of needing alternate transportation!
I agree with you. Not really concerned about AP version right now. Anything I get will be way more advanced that anything I've had. This is the third car in the family, so it can spend a little time in the shop if needed. But it's intended to be a daily driver that will rack up at least 15-20k miles a year. If we get it, I'm sure everyone will want to drive it lol.

You will never win with a Tesla. You should reconsider.

Unlike with other cars, Tesla can introduce a new technology out of the blue or drop the prices significantly, and your car will depreciate even more. They can also take away features, even range or charging speed.

This is not like any other car manufacturer and you have to understand what you are getting into.

PS: The upside is try can also introduce some cool new features or upgrades.
Comparatively speaking, Tesla holds its value way better than other luxury brands. You can easily find a 3 year old S class or 7 Series for around 40k still in warranty. These cars stickered at 100k when optioned. Meanwhile a 3 year old Model S which started at 90-100k only drops to 55-60k. There is definitely some manipulation going with Tesla prices, but overall they still hold value better. The iPhone of cars.

Reactions: EinSV