Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me IN or OUT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would get more value/size/space/features from a used Model S, that's why I was leaning more towards the S... I'm a big fan of depreciated cars

I thought the same thing, and a couple of years ago was actively considering a used Model S over a new Model 3. Then I called my insurance agent. Where I live (Phoenix, AZ) a 3 or 4 year old Model S was going to cost me considerably more to insure then a new Model 3. For me, the smaller size of the Model 3 wasn't an issue. Once I factored in the cost of insurance, I realized that for me, I was MUCH better off in a brand new Model 3.

Hello all,

Thank you for any help you can give me. I wanted some input about buying my first Tesla Model S. A little background: I am a huge car nerd and we’ve owned high end cars from most of the manufacturers (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.) and always bought used. Our formula has always been, 3 years old, 30-40k miles, you can get a lot of car. Never spent more than $30-40k on a car and buying parts online, knowing good independent mechanics, we’ve been able to keep higher end cars running for very reasonable amounts – we’re not scared of owning them. Ex: Oil changes are never more than $20-30, brake jobs done for under $500 all 4 corners.

However I want something innovative, Tesla is the only manufacturer that offers it. Therefore I’m toying with the idea of buying one, however I’m hesitant about the purchase. To get a car in warranty, it would be well beyond 40k. And out of warranty cars are cheaper, but out of warranty repairs terrify me. I think Tesla won’t even sell parts to third parties, and I doubt I have any mechanics that can work on it.

Questions/concerns I have:

Any specific model/year you would suggest for my first Tesla, given my history?

What are typical repair/running costs like, assuming things break? Can independent mechanics fix these cars now?

I’ve heard range can be cut in half in colder climates, brakes can rust away from non-use – I live in NJ

I can increase my budget to 60k, but is it worth it? That’s nearly double what I’ve ever paid for a car

TL DR: I’m considering buying a Tesla, but it’s probably the most expensive car I’ve ever bought, and I’m concerned about keeping it running for a reasonable amount. Should I make the jump?

I am similar. A Car guy, bought new cars for the family but have always bought used for myself. I recently bought two used Model S, 2014 P85+ No Autopilot and 2015 70D AP1. Both are great cars and I like them both (except the seats, but I am okay with them). I prefer the P85+ for its driving characteristics. I like driving, so I have not used autopilot on the 70D beyond testing and I don't intend to ever use it. The P85+ is rear wheel drive, and works fine in the snow with winter tires. Nothing has broken on the 70D yet, but the P85+ has a new motor under warranty (coolant leak) and AC compressor (~$1,200), door handle micro switches (did myself), water leak in taillights (I fixed for $10 of butyl tape). Both been upgraded to LTE (did myself ~$95 each) and on original MCU, which I plan to replace the eMMC when I have some time. Both cars were purchased for just under $40K each, which was my limit, similar to yours (original price for the P85+ was ~$123,000 and 70D ~$85,000). Besides the body panel alignment and seats, I love everything and would not hesitate to buy a third one. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Reactions: 2101Guy
it’s probably the most expensive car I’ve ever bought, and I’m concerned about keeping it running for a reasonable amount

Ideally I'd like to stick to my formula of 40k max
don't buy a $40k model S to keep running a long time. It will have an MCU fail every few years, and probably a battery that is being limped past warranty right now. Get as new as you can afford. $40k will buy you a new Model 3 with better technology and more warranty.

don't buy a $40k model S to keep running a long time. It will have an MCU fail every few years, and probably a battery that is being limped past warranty right now. Get as new as you can afford. $40k will buy you a new Model 3 with better technology and more warranty.

Based on reading current threads, not sure this is accurate, especially with MCU2 upgrade

Mcu1 fails every few years. Warranty was cut in half on replacements to save Tesla money replacing the replacements as often. It's an inherent design flaw they don't use auto grade chips and write to the chips too much.

It is true replacing the original computers and battery from a old model S with brand new model S 2020 upgrades will make it more reliable. Too bad 100kwh battery upgrades and mcu2 upgrades aren't offered on the older cars that need them most.

$40k model 3 has the new reliable parts without paying more for the $2500 computer or $30k battery

Last edited:
Mcu1 fails every few years. Warranty was cut in half on replacements to save Tesla money replacing the replacements as often. It's an inherent design flaw they don't use auto grade chips and write to the chips too much.

It is true replacing the original computers and battery from a old model S with brand new model S 2020 upgrades will make it more reliable. Too bad 100kwh battery upgrades and mcu2 upgrades aren't offered on the older cars that need them most.

$40k model 3 has the new reliable parts without paying more for the $2500 computer or $30k battery

Agree. I don't think OP cares about driving the better car. Only cares about resale value, which I'm sure he'll be disappointed by if he's stuck with a 40K Model S in the coming years.

BTW, it looks like people have received MCU2 even on pre-AP cars.

Also, I'd buy private party to keep free unlimited supercharging.

Reactions: Chaserr and 2101Guy
Here are some cars that are over/under your range:

screen-shot-2020-07-18-at-12-41-05-pm-png.566038
What software is this?