Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me into ordering a Model 3 / case of FOMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post is likely a little early. Some of these questions I likely need to answer for myself I suppose.
I need to rent a Model 3 to see how I feel about it likely, but I'm hoping someone will talk me into / out of ordering a Model 3... I'm interested, but... Have a bunch of concerns I guess.

What I would order:
  • Model 3 SR or SR+ (help me decide). I do not need the range of the SR+
  • Pearl White
  • White Interior
  • Aero Wheels
  • +Homelink Upgrade
  • +FSD Upgrade
What I have now:
  1. 2013 Ford C-Max Energi with every option except sunroof
  2. 17-27 mile EV Range (I almost never use gas)
  3. SiriusXM, prox key, auto parallel Park, foot activated tail gate, ample interior space, rain sensing wipers that work really well, auto up/down on all windows, the best heated seats ever, etc
  4. Great ground clearance
  5. Lots of interior space, headroom, etc. Feels big inside, small outside
  6. Great visibility all around
  7. Amazingly great AC for Phoenix, AZ
  8. Not the best turning circle
  9. EV only range isn't all that long
Reasons I want a Model 3 now:
  1. I've got the itch for something new
  2. FOMO / future AutoPilot fun
  3. Remaining tax credit (not much, but hey), free White Pearl Multicoat paint now
  4. Tech geek who likes geeky toys
  5. While I don't need a ton of range, 80+ miles would be ideal for 99.9% of my needs (running errands on weekends, etc). My current ride has less, so I dip into gas on occasion
  6. AZ - basically free EV Plates / Registration (for a while longer)
Things I'm worried / concerned / not thrilled about with a Model 3:
  1. Infotainment options seem to be really really lacking (unless you pay $10K+ more to get slacker, which I hear isn't that great anyway). Yes, I hear YouTube and Netflix are coming (when parked) but... Will the SR get this? What about YouTube Music / Google Music while driving? That's kind of more important to me - it is a car afterall, and having media options when the car is in motion matters. No, bluetooth isn't a perfect fix, it's a consolation at best.
  2. No CarPlay or Android Auto to mitigate the above lacking
  3. Lack of a proximity key - I don't want to "wait" for my doors to unlock 3-8 seconds or something silly (some have said they have issues), and I don't want to have to use a keycard to open the door either, and I don't want to pull my phone out to unlock my car. Not sure how much of an issue this is, or if maybe it's just some phones / people with issues?
  4. Lack of buttons - I'm unsure how much this will annoy me. The UI looks good, but I'm still fearful
  5. Unsure how well the AC works, especially with all that glass in Phoenix, AZ
  6. Homelink that doesn't work all that well I hear (espc when backing into a garage)
  7. Sedan format, iffy visibility, small mirrors, lower to ground, etc
  8. Paint quality (and needing to spend 1-6K on PPF to mitigate this)
  9. When will Tesla stop punishing me for not paying more, for more range that I do not want nor need (i.e. allow me to pay for everything that is software limited - don't punish me into buying a bigger battery / faster car)
  10. Resale once Model Y ships
  11. Unnecessary electronic indoor door release switches for (why?) to confuse anyone who rides in my car?
  12. Exterior door handles more effort (fine I guess, I just don't like getting my paint smudged every time someone gropes for an exterior door handle)
  13. Frameless windows (I've never been a fan of this fragile unnecessary, complicated cosmetic design, but whatever)
  14. Front bumper scraping on parking blocks, big dips in the road, steep driveways, etc
  15. BLIS seems to be lacking (look at screen for tiny blue something I've read?)
  16. When do "2020" Model 3s begin shipping? I know, I know, Tesla doesn't play model year games the same as others, but the stickered year will impact resale (5 years from now, would you want a 2019 or a 2020 model 3?)
  17. Financially, it's money down the drain when I have a perfectly working car just for some fun toys
  18. I don't drive all that much (5 mile RT commute), so a Model 3 is likely more car than I need
  19. I never buy new, but current (high) resale values dictate for me to get a white int. on white ext., it's basically cheaper to buy a new Model 3 instead of a used one - because not many used white interior / exteriors seem to be listed
  20. Tesla's games "oh if you bought during the summer solstice of 2018 you get unlimited use of your parking brake and one included floor mat" type of inconsistent, not well documented stuff

• Talk me in / out of buying one :)
  • Tell me if I should consider an SR or an SR+. I'm cheap, and I don't think I'm getting much more with an SR+ that I'd care about
  • Tell me how I will get things I do want (streaming audio) in the future with a $100/year subscription that has yet to be announced
  • Tell me to wait for a Model Y
  • Tell me to buy used
  • Tell me to stick with what I have, or buy something else
Thanks!

You probably shouldn’t buy one....

That said, I would get the SR+. The SR+ has a published known list of features right now, the SR doesn’t. While things like heated seats might not be a big sell in AZ, even though everyone I’ve talked to says the SR absolutely does include front heated seats, Elon tweeted once and at one point it was printed on the site that they DO NOT come heated. With Tesla that means one day down the road they could get around to “fixing” the software and disabling those heated seats and holding them behind a $1000 “winter package “ upgrade or something.

I don’t think you’ll have much issues with frameless door/windows in AZ. Most the issues seem to be in cold areas where they freeze.

Inside door release can be fixed with some cheap decals that Abstract Ocean sells and basically looks like they came from the factory.

I know you said Bluetooth isn’t a solution, but it will work. I come from AppleCar play and XM. I think the built in maps/nav will be good enough that I don’t need to use Apple maps. The issue I had with other cars were clunky ways to input an address or search for something. Tesla seems super slick, responsive, and as easy as using google maps on a computer/tablet. I plan to step down to XM streaming only, which actually will save me some money. I currently don’t drive enough to burn throughout gigs and gigs of data, but even so I have unlimited with AT&T. I believe T-Mobile also exempts music streaming from their data caps. Wireless charging or plugging into usb will keep my phone charged while streaming. Again, while not a replacement for proper built in options, it will get you what you need.

Never ever consider resell value with any new car. They all suck. It can all change too, gas gets expensive, you can’t even give away an SUV. Honda or someone comes out with a $35k all electric Accord that’s well spec-ed and gets a $7500 tax credit, a used Model 3 suddenly looks like a hard buy. Etc etc etc. The car will drop value, maybe a little slower, but don’t bank on it. I suspect there will be a flood of trades for Model Y and I suspect Tesla will absolutely low ball everyone. If you want a Y, order one now.

While Tesla COULD offer software unlock packages down the road, and I hope they do, I wouldn’t buy expecting that. The SR/SR+ is physically missing a subwoofer and amps, so you’ll never fully step up to “premium audio.” It’s rumored a premium connectivity package will be offered at some point (~$100/year) but who knows if that will happen and if it will include streaming/traffic/sat maps or some combination of those. It appears SR/SR+ ship with rear heated seats physically installed, so a winter package could be offered, but who knows.

SR does not come with auto pilot, and by the time you add the cost of that it basically puts you into SR+ range. FSD goes up by $1000 in a couple weeks, so if that’s something you want, order now. Who knows a realistic timeline of FSD features, but everyone knows it’s not what Elon is saying. Maybe you’ll get nav on city streets this fall, but I suspect it’ll be far less refined then on the highway.

Btw, I’m coming from a Chevy Volt lease (~50 miles battery only, gas engine after that). I do about 9 miles round trip for work, and 20 miles or so on weekends running errands. EVERY time I take a road trip (~200 miles, maybe ten times a year) I wish it was full electric, I love the electric driving so much.

I originally was going to buy SR, but heated seats are a big point for me (WA state). I currently have a Blue on White SR+ ordered and ready for delivery within the next week or so. I got lucky and a $2500 sales tax exemption started up again in WA at the start of this month, I’m just waiting for Tesla to update their accounting system.

Basic auto pilot, heated seats, and a little extra range for the occasional road trip is what made me go for SR+.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This post is likely a little early. Some of these questions I likely need to answer for myself I suppose.
I need to rent a Model 3 to see how I feel about it likely, but I'm hoping someone will talk me into / out of ordering a Model 3... I'm interested, but... Have a bunch of concerns I guess.

What I would order:
  • Pearl White
  • White Interior
  • Aero Wheels
  • +Homelink Upgrade
  • +FSD Upgrade
What I have now:
  3. SiriusXM, prox key, auto parallel Park, foot activated tail gate, ample interior space, rain sensing wipers that work really well, auto up/down on all windows, the best heated seats ever, etc
  3. Remaining tax credit (not much, but hey), free White Pearl Multicoat paint now
  5. While I don't need a ton of range, 80+ miles would be ideal for 99.9% of my needs (running errands on weekends, etc). My current ride has less, so I dip into gas on occasion
  1. Infotainment options seem to be really really lacking (unless you pay $10K+ more to get slacker, which I hear isn't that great anyway). Yes, I hear YouTube and Netflix are coming (when parked) but... Will the SR get this? What about YouTube Music / Google Music while driving? That's kind of more important to me - it is a car afterall, and having media options when the car is in motion matters. No, bluetooth isn't a perfect fix, it's a consolation at best.
  3. Lack of a proximity key - I don't want to "wait" for my doors to unlock 3-8 seconds or something silly (some have said they have issues), and I don't want to have to use a keycard to open the door either, and I don't want to pull my phone out to unlock my car. Not sure how much of an issue this is, or if maybe it's just some phones / people with issues?
  4. Lack of buttons - I'm unsure how much this will annoy me. The UI looks good, but I'm still fearful
  6. Homelink that doesn't work all that well I hear (espc when backing into a garage)
  9. When will Tesla stop punishing me for not paying more, for more range that I do not want nor need (i.e. allow me to pay for everything that is software limited - don't punish me into buying a bigger battery / faster car)
  11. Unnecessary electronic indoor door release switches for (why?) to confuse anyone who rides in my car?
  12. Exterior door handles more effort (fine I guess, I just don't like getting my paint smudged every time someone gropes for an exterior door handle)
  13. Frameless windows (I've never been a fan of this fragile unnecessary, complicated cosmetic design, but whatever)
  14. Front bumper scraping on parking blocks, big dips in the road, steep driveways, etc
  15. BLIS seems to be lacking (look at screen for tiny blue something I've read?)
  16. When do "2020" Model 3s begin shipping? I know, I know, Tesla doesn't play model year games the same as others, but the stickered year will impact resale (5 years from now, would you want a 2019 or a 2020 model 3?)
  17. Financially, it's money down the drain when I have a perfectly working car just for some fun toys
  18. I don't drive all that much (5 mile RT commute), so a Model 3 is likely more car than I need
  19. I never buy new, but current (high) resale values dictate for me to get a white int. on white ext., it's basically cheaper to buy a new Model 3 instead of a used one - because not many used white interior / exteriors seem to be listed
  20. Tesla's games "oh if you bought during the summer solstice of 2018 you get unlimited use of your parking brake and one included floor mat" type of inconsistent, not well documented stuff

• Tell me if I should consider an SR or an SR+. I'm cheap, and I don't think I'm getting much more with an SR+ that I'd care about
  • Tell me how I will get things I do want (streaming audio) in the future with a $100/year subscription that has yet to be announced
  • Tell me to buy used
Thanks!

How do you sleep at night? ;) With so many concerns it sounds like you should never buy anything, ever.

To answer a few. The phone works great as a proximity key, never need to wait on it or take it out of pocket. Homelink works great with my Liftmaster openers. AC works great here in 95 degree Florida heat and humidity.

Just go test drive one and I am sure you will be satisfied. Everyone else I know wants to get one after a test drive.

If you don't drive much, you really dont have a use for a new car. Teslas are amazing but never stretch beyond means to get in one. They will continue to drop in price as they have. FSD price might increase but more likely than not something else will decrease or more value will be added. For reference just in a year a LR RWD w/ EAP 3 is about the same price as the P3D sleeper w/ FSD. Get it when you need it and you will have the latest features. If you normally buy used, its not a bad idea to wait a few years. But if you don't want to be rational, get it now because its more time you get to have fun with a Tesla. I personally would go LR battery before considering FSD. FSD will be nearly useless with a simple 5 mile commute, regular AP will be enough for now.

Plus with all those concerns, many of which are non factors it might be best to wait till your level of comfort gets better.... The Y is going to be out soon enough and might be the one you want.

I would advise not to get one even though I have purchased one.

Are you a penny picker? What you have now can sustain you for years comfortably. By that time, you will so many options that Tesla will definitely make the model 3 cheaper than what it is now.

2020/2021 --> Rivian, Porsche, Kia, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Toyota, Honda,.... etc

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
...Will the SR get this?...

Tesla changes so often and it's very hard to know whether SR will get additional features in the future. I would not count on it.

...having media options when the car is in motion matters. No, bluetooth isn't a perfect fix, it's a consolation at best...

True. It's easy to do phone media but it's kind of a hassle.

It's just like garage remote control. It's easy to use a separate control but it's a hassle after I get spoiled to with built-in HomeLink.

...No CarPlay or Android Auto to mitigate the above lacking..

I've found my USB hard drive very convenient for music.

...Lack of buttons

I've had no problems with lack of buttons since my first Tesla in 2012.

Buttons are for dinosaurs.

...Homelink that doesn't work all that well I hear (espc when backing into a garage)..

Mine has been working very well since 2012, first manually, then Tesla introduced the automatic feature in V7.

Sometimes the automation didn't work but my guess is it works 99%.

...Sedan format, iffy visibility, small mirrors, lower to ground, etc...

It can still carry lots of stuff but since you complain, Model X is for you.

...Paint quality (and needing to spend 1-6K on PPF to mitigate this)...

Original paint with monthly car washes and waxes been working fine for me since 2012.

...When will Tesla stop punishing me for not paying more, for more range that I do not want nor need (i.e. allow me to pay for everything that is software limited - don't punish me into buying a bigger battery / faster car)...

The company's goal is to achieve ICE's range and refuel. Tesla can accommodate your goal but it will cost you.

...Resale once Model Y ships...

Tesla is a high tech item just like your current cell phone.

However, its resale is still holding better than ICE.

...Unnecessary electronic indoor door release switches for (why?) to confuse anyone who rides in my car?...

Maybe to prepare for FSD when there will be no driver to open the doors for rides.

...Exterior door handles more effort (fine I guess, I just don't like getting my paint smudged every time someone gropes for an exterior door handle)...

You might want to do it yourself the proper way: thumb at the larger part and 4 fingers at the smaller part as shown below

PWUCZes.jpg

Then all of what you have to do is to wipe off the hand prints from the chrome part and none for your paint.

...Front bumper scraping on parking blocks, big dips in the road, steep driveways, etc...

It happen to all cars but drivers learn how to prevent them. S and X have adjustable suspension. Back in so you can see with your camera. Drive slowly. Go with an angle to steep drive ways...

...BLIS seems to be lacking (look at screen for tiny blue something I've read?)...

You mean blindspot?

You can see all the surrounding car icons in the instrument clusters.

Prior to surrounding car icons, there were only ultrasonic ray icons in the instrument clusters.

You might want to pay for FSD and let the system change lane for you.

...When do "2020" Model 3s begin shipping?...

It's a high tech item and evolves continuously and silently.

...Financially, it's money down the drain when I have a perfectly working car just for some fun toys...

True.

I used to put up with the oil industry for year until one day, I snapped and refuse to smell the gasoline in my garage any more and switched to Tesla.

Unlike your needs, I need range so in 2012, any non-Tesla EVs were just not meeting my needs.

...I don't drive all that much (5 mile RT commute), so a Model 3 is likely more car than I need...

True.

The problem might be that once you got a Tesla, you might use it for long range instead.

I used to drive very little with ICE, about 6,000 miles a year.

However, since I got my Tesla in 2012, I've been driving instead of flying so my annual mileage became 24,000!

I knew exactly why I bought a Tesla: I hate smelling gasoline. I can't do anything about that in public street but I can certainly get rid of ICE in my garage.

I knew that historically, I didn't need the range but I still wanted the capability for long range like the way ICE does just in case.

I knew it costs a lot for my needs but I am willing to pay for it.

On the other hand, you know yourself best and it does not sound like you are ready to pay for a Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric

What I would order:
  • Pearl White
  • White Interior
  • Aero Wheels
  • +Homelink Upgrade
  • +FSD Upgrade
What I have now:

• Tell me to buy used
Thanks!

Test drive car. If you like it, buy it. Phone as key works fine. If this is a financial decision don’t do it. If you want new tech, and are okay with glitchy first versions, buy the 3.

I'm with others here based on your post to say don't buy one and I probably seldom have said that anyone. 20 issues that you already have identified for yourself based on your research that you don't like? If you think Telsa is punishing you because you can't pick and choose what they offer in way of features/extras in a car and you feel they are playing games (your words both times), find yourself another EV to purchase. I won't even bother to go into specifics like someone above did. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm with others here based on your post to say don't buy one and I probably seldom have said that anyone. 20 issues that you already have identified for yourself based on your research that you don't like? If you think Telsa is punishing you because you can't pick and choose what they offer in way of features/extras in a car and you feel they are playing games (your words both times), find yourself another EV to purchase. I won't even bother to go into specifics like someone above did. Good luck.

+1. Best of luck. Keep the Ford as it serves your needs.

+1

highly recommend OP not buy one. Not because they arent good, but because OP has so many concerns about things that many of us who own the car dont, it is likely to not be a good experience for him.

I particularly find the concern about not being able to "pick and choose" options fairly strange, because almost every car manufacturer makes you buy X trim to get Y feature. You dont get to go really "a la carte" unless you move WAAY up the luxury scale (talking way way up).

Every car is not for every person, and based on OPs concerns I would agree with some others that say I dont think a model 3 would be good car for OP... that is, unless OP rents one and finds out if their supposed concerns from reading forums are actual concerns he has.

I'm with others here based on your post to say don't buy one and I probably seldom have said that anyone. 20 issues that you already have identified for yourself based on your research that you don't like? If you think Telsa is punishing you because you can't pick and chose what they offer in way of features/extras in a car and you feel they are playing games (your words both times), find yourself another EV to purchase. I won't even bother to go into specifics like someone above did. Good luck.

Well I kinda agree with the games. I really don’t see how much harder it is building a long range rear wheel drive car and pricing it between the SR+ and AWD. It’s the same battery pack as the AWD and it’s the same motor as the SR+. Maybe I’m the only one out there that can’t afford a AWD but seriously wish I could get that larger pack. If you charged $4500 more for the long range rear wheel drive I, and I think many others, would be all over that. But $9k more for just a larger battery (some people don’t need AWD or the upgraded sound system) is really hard to do.

Further, if Tesla IS going to put heated seats in all cars, why not offer a $750 software upgrade winter package to unlock those rear ones?

Well I kinda agree with the games. I really don’t see how much harder it is building a long range rear wheel drive car and pricing it between the SR+ and AWD. It’s the same battery pack as the AWD and it’s the same motor as the SR+. Maybe I’m the only one out there that can’t afford a AWD but seriously wish I could get that larger pack. If you charged $4500 more for the long range rear wheel drive I, and I think many others, would be all over that. But $9k more for just a larger battery (some people don’t need AWD or the upgraded sound system) is really hard to do.

Further, if Tesla IS going to put heated seats in all cars, why not offer a $750 software upgrade winter package to unlock those rear ones?

Games, really? I would have loved to have had a Model 3 with SAS and a pano roof and ventilated seats like our MS. I’m not making the cars however. I think Tesla has a good idea what to include to reach the profit margin they want to achieve and with production and/or part improvements can continue to get the cost down and pass it on to more buyers. Just because they don’t offer my wish list I don’t say they are playing games.

As it is we continue to get new things added to our cars’ functionality unlike other manufacturers, who because of Tesla’s popularity and taking market share from them will be forced to do the same. Buyers will expect it.

Have not changed my mind about OP’s buying decision.

I agree here. I think there is room and a market to keep the LR RWD and slot it between the SR+ and LR AWD.

The biggest issue is that Tesla does not have the typical trims and options like other manufactures. The base car also has too much content in it. A base SR should really have cloth seats, ditch the power folding mirrors, auto wipers, seat heaters, auto high beams, remove the power lumbar and drop the passenger power seat and price it less than $35k. Also, 220 vs 240 mile range between the SR and SR+ is kind of silly. Either make the spread larger like 200 vs. 240 or just make them the same. A 20 mile range delta is not enough considering folks normally charge to 80% anyway.

The SR+ content is decent for the price but they need a $1000 option for the Premium Connectivity and $900 option for the upgraded sound system. They should also upgrade the rear view and side mirrors to an auto dimming version and Homelink should be standard or at least a build option at this price point. I mean, put the Homelink buttons on the sun visor if you have to so you don't have to remove the front bumper and frunk to installed a Homelink module.

The LR RWD should come with the same content as the SR+ and keep it priced around $42,500 and then allow buyers to upgrade the content as desired with Premium Connectivity and sound system upgrade. At this price point they should also add additional interior color choices. They should add a spice red, beige and gray seat options. White is cool and all but I bet the take rate is fairly low for this $1000 option. They would probably sell a lot of more if they offer these colors. Blue and Red with Saddle interior looks great and black, white and silver cars look great with a deep spice red interior.

The LR AWD is ok but let people pick this trim because they want AWD not because they want Premium Connectivity and a better sound system. AWD is a waste to lots of folks in many areas of the country. Increases weight, lowers efficiency.

The Performance trim should offer a HUD (Head Up Display) and sport front seat option.

Mag ride should be a $1500-2000 option on at the LR price point.

The quarterly changes to paint prices needs to stop. No manufacturer charges $2000 to get you car painted in red or worse charge you $1500 for white and then 3 months later it is no charge. They need to create more content they can charge for instead of playing musical chairs with paint colors.

Reactions: Mike1080i
Test drive car. If you like it, buy it. Phone as key works fine. If this is a financial decision don’t do it. If you want new tech, and are okay with glitchy first versions, buy the 3.

100% agree with this. Slight modification: rent one for 2-3 days before any decision.
Also, don’t do it if you *have* to buy it with a loan.