Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me into ordering a Model 3 / case of FOMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A/C works great here in Phoenix. The white interior helps a ton as well. I've seen interior temps in the 140s after sitting in the sun for awhile. Load up the app 5 minutes before you leave, turn on the A/C, and the car is nice and cool by the time you get there to drive off. Way better than any gas car I've ever had, even ones with remote start that could get the A/C going ahead of time.

The rest of your concerns are completely unfounded IMO.

The quarterly changes to paint prices needs to stop. No manufacturer charges $2000 to get you car painted in red or worse charge you $1500 for white and then 3 months later it is no charge. They need to create more content they can charge for instead of playing musical chairs with paint colors.

Thank you! This type of stuff is what I was speaking to when I used the word "Games". It may make sense on Tesla's end somehow, but it feels arbitrary to me.

I also agree with an earlier post, it's a disaster for a manufacturer to physically build things ala carte, but I'm not asking for that in the least. I am simply asking to be able to pay to enable the software features the car is innately capable of and physically equipped to provide. Imagine buying the latest iPhone, but Apple not allowing you to use the physically equipped vibrate function - ever, even if you pay a subscription - unless you buy the 512GB version... If that was the case, people would go nuts. This is what I mean by punishing and games. Yes, my words. Yes, it's how I feel.

I get it, Tesla needs to cover their costs and make a profit, and I'm willing to pay within reason. I have some (very slight) objections to being pointed toward a less environmentally friendly car (larger battery, from an environmental point of view), so I can use the physically equipped radio for streaming, or heated seats in the rear.

I'm glad to hear others here have said the bluetooth key works well - maybe it was just some old posts, or people with dated/particular phones that had trouble & delays on unlock I read about.

On groping doors when reaching for the handle concern, I'm again not worried about myself, but rather passengers (especially ones with rings on). I already know *I* can manage opening the door carefully, but I've seen enough used cars with scratches all around the door handles from people with rings, or carelessly holding keys, and it drives me crazy. I'll admit it, I'm fussy about keeping stuff clean and in reasonable shape. I suppose PPF in the door handle area would resolve this concern.

As for the being careful when driving, I'm keenly aware of this. Before I bought my current car, I had a Prius. I never had issues personally with the bumper dragging on pavement, but whenever someone else drove it, they did, and then they got the look of death from me every time. It was frustrating. I felt embarrassed for them. I don't want my front end destroyed, but I get it, they are not used to driving a car lower to the ground perhaps. Once I got the current car, I was thrilled because this just wasn't an issue (and yes, I back in everywhere I go already). I know, this may seem small, but it makes my current car more liveable and practical than the Prius it replaced - small details like that sometimes matter I guess.

Honestly, a Kona EV would likely be a better fit for me (if they sold them in AZ, and if you didn't have to wait forever to get one) - but I have less interest as the tech features of a Kona are similar to my current car, and in that case, I would just stay put. I like the concept of an evergreen Tesla with over the air updates etc, so yet another reason I'm not considering a Kona.

I'm an EV, car, and a tech toy lover. I will admit, this car is likely not the perfect fit for me, yet I still may very well buy one. I truly think it's the most appealing option on the market (and clearly many others agree). I also believe it's the most significant car in decades. I used the word 'concerned' accurately, some aspects I'm just unsure about being a great fit for my desires/needs, and so I'm going to look on Turo, and rent one for a weekend to assuage some my lingering concerns :).

I appreciate the time each has taken to reply :).

A/C works great here in Phoenix. The white interior helps a ton as well. I've seen interior temps in the 140s after sitting in the sun for awhile. Load up the app 5 minutes before you leave, turn on the A/C, and the car is nice and cool by the time you get there to drive off. Way better than any gas car I've ever had, even ones with remote start that could get the A/C going ahead of time.

The rest of your concerns are completely unfounded IMO.

Glad to hear it - AC (as you are keenly aware) is a huge deal for us, so I'm glad to hear your Model 3 keeps up. You mention precooling, if you don't precool on a hot day parked outside, does it cool off fast anyway? Of the two cars in my household, The C-Max Energi cools so fast, without precool that I never bother opening the crappy Ford app or using the keyfob - it's not even tinted, that's how good it is - I don't see the need to tint it. The other car (which is tinted) takes 15+ min, and even then has trouble keeping up; it's kind of dreadful on a hot day.

Glad to hear it - AC (as you are keenly aware) is a huge deal for us, so I'm glad to hear your Model 3 keeps up. You mention precooling, if you don't precool on a hot day parked outside, does it cool off fast anyway? Of the two cars in my household, The C-Max Energi cools so fast, without precool that I never bother opening the crappy Ford app or using the keyfob - it's not even tinted, that's how good it is - I don't see the need to tint it. The other car (which is tinted) takes 15+ min, and even then has trouble keeping up; it's kind of dreadful on a hot day.

I’ve lived in Phoenix my whole life and the Model 3 has BY FAR the best A/C I have ever had in any car.
I do wish it had cooled/ventilated seats, though. I loved those in past cars.

100% agree with this. Slight modification: rent one for 2-3 days before any decision.
Also, don’t do it if you *have* to buy it with a loan.
First idea is a great one...nothing like a few days to get to know the car. Disagree with second point, especially with interest rates so low. If money can be put to good use elsewhere, and you aren’t creating hardship with the loan, I don’t see an issue with a financed purchase. The dividend yield on my Exxon stock is around 4.5% and my loan is less than that. I expect (though no guarantees) I’ll continue getting dividends long after the loan is paid off and eventually sell the stock. If I’d sold the stock to pay for the car I’d miss out on the spread between interest rate and dividend yield.

The 3 has a climate protection mode that kicks AC on at 105 to protect the tablet. A few folks turn this off to save a few miles of range but I’d keep it on. This limits how hot inside gets. If you forget to precool it cools off very quickly. I’m in Texas and it gets toasty here, too. Tinting front and side windows helps a lot, too.

I had a CMax Energi for 3 years. I liked it a lot until the ICE kicked in. My 3 is great. 17,000 miles and I look for excuses to drive! Nevertheless, with all your concerns you should consider Ford's soon to be revealed EV. It is an SUV/crossover with a 300 mile range. From what i read, it will be similar to a CMax in utility and size but with much more space for people and cargo due to the skateboard design.2020 production. Up to 300 mile range. I suspect we will see it at the fall auto shows. LA? This may suit you better than a Tesla.

...... Disagree with second point, especially with interest rates so low. If money can be put to good use elsewhere, and you aren’t creating hardship with the loan, I don’t see an issue with a financed purchase. The dividend yield on my Exxon stock is around 4.5% and my loan is less than that........

We are saying the same thing, you said it more clearly. :D
You are *choosing* to use a loan, vs *having* to use one.

I think a lot of folks make VERY bad choices in financing cars and never really understand the real cost. I certainly learned this the hard way a long time ago.

Last edited:
Seems like OP’s 1st ever post on the forum is a list to discourage would-be buyers. Hi Short :)

Comments like this just discourage people from posting. Although most people don't have nearly as long a list, some of us do have valid concerns similar to the ones the OP named.

I'm also considering a new model 3. I currently drive a Prime so the gas savings would be minimal. I'm aware of the advantages of the Tesla (hence the purchase consideration) but my concerns from going from the Prime to the Tesla include the loss of the heads up display (not a big deal), the loss of the heated steering wheel (a big deal), the absence of Android Auto (I almost passed on the Prime because of it, but at least the Prime has Sirius and IHeart radio built in), the absence of onscreen text notifications (this is huge), and the concerns about the paint issues (I live in the Northeast and we had a mild winter last year so not sure how these care will hold up) and the service issues (I own Toyotas- I'm not used to needing service, let alone having to wait multiple days to get the car back).

Can I look past many of these things? Possibly. I'm trying to decide. I'm all in on electric cars and hate when my Prime switches over to ICE ( i drive about 90 miles a day and about 40 of those are on electric because I can sometimes charge at work). However, having these concerns about the Tesla doesn't mean I'm trying to discourage others from buying it and (despite this being MY first post) doesn't mean I'm shorting the stock (I have stock in Tesla and am actually holding it long term).

Reactions: jjrandorin
I had Sirius for years for Bloomberg...it’s free with the 3, as is a lot of podcasts, etc. The streaming feature is nice and you save your favorite “station”. OP has a lot of issues no one can answer. He’s gotta make a decision...can he live without buttons? Is he ok with imperfect updates? Renting one is probably his best option. Most of us adore the car but there are a fair number of posts from folks who either didn’t research and are then unhappy the car doesn’t have a feature, or feature doesn’t function the way they think it should, or go to delivery expecting and looking for issues. *shrug*. The forum seems to function better with specific questions like “Can a bicycle fit in the back?”.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
This post is likely a little early. Some of these questions I likely need to answer for myself I suppose.
I need to rent a Model 3 to see how I feel about it likely, but I'm hoping someone will talk me into / out of ordering a Model 3... I'm interested, but... Have a bunch of concerns I guess.

What I would order:
  • Model 3 SR or SR+ (help me decide). I do not need the range of the SR+
  • Pearl White
  • White Interior
  • Aero Wheels
  • +Homelink Upgrade
  • +FSD Upgrade
What I have now:
  1. 2013 Ford C-Max Energi with every option except sunroof
  2. 17-27 mile EV Range (I almost never use gas)
  3. SiriusXM, prox key, auto parallel Park, foot activated tail gate, ample interior space, rain sensing wipers that work really well, auto up/down on all windows, the best heated seats ever, etc
  4. Great ground clearance
  5. Lots of interior space, headroom, etc. Feels big inside, small outside
  6. Great visibility all around
  7. Amazingly great AC for Phoenix, AZ
  8. Not the best turning circle
  9. EV only range isn't all that long
Reasons I want a Model 3 now:
  1. I've got the itch for something new
  2. FOMO / future AutoPilot fun
  3. Remaining tax credit (not much, but hey), free White Pearl Multicoat paint now
  4. Tech geek who likes geeky toys
  5. While I don't need a ton of range, 80+ miles would be ideal for 99.9% of my needs (running errands on weekends, etc). My current ride has less, so I dip into gas on occasion
  6. AZ - basically free EV Plates / Registration (for a while longer)
Things I'm worried / concerned / not thrilled about with a Model 3:
  1. Infotainment options seem to be really really lacking (unless you pay $10K+ more to get slacker, which I hear isn't that great anyway). Yes, I hear YouTube and Netflix are coming (when parked) but... Will the SR get this? What about YouTube Music / Google Music while driving? That's kind of more important to me - it is a car afterall, and having media options when the car is in motion matters. No, bluetooth isn't a perfect fix, it's a consolation at best.
  2. No CarPlay or Android Auto to mitigate the above lacking
  3. Lack of a proximity key - I don't want to "wait" for my doors to unlock 3-8 seconds or something silly (some have said they have issues), and I don't want to have to use a keycard to open the door either, and I don't want to pull my phone out to unlock my car. Not sure how much of an issue this is, or if maybe it's just some phones / people with issues?
  4. Lack of buttons - I'm unsure how much this will annoy me. The UI looks good, but I'm still fearful
  5. Unsure how well the AC works, especially with all that glass in Phoenix, AZ
  6. Homelink that doesn't work all that well I hear (espc when backing into a garage)
  7. Sedan format, iffy visibility, small mirrors, lower to ground, etc
  8. Paint quality (and needing to spend 1-6K on PPF to mitigate this)
  9. When will Tesla stop punishing me for not paying more, for more range that I do not want nor need (i.e. allow me to pay for everything that is software limited - don't punish me into buying a bigger battery / faster car)
  10. Resale once Model Y ships
  11. Unnecessary electronic indoor door release switches for (why?) to confuse anyone who rides in my car?
  12. Exterior door handles more effort (fine I guess, I just don't like getting my paint smudged every time someone gropes for an exterior door handle)
  13. Frameless windows (I've never been a fan of this fragile unnecessary, complicated cosmetic design, but whatever)
  14. Front bumper scraping on parking blocks, big dips in the road, steep driveways, etc
  15. BLIS seems to be lacking (look at screen for tiny blue something I've read?)
  16. When do "2020" Model 3s begin shipping? I know, I know, Tesla doesn't play model year games the same as others, but the stickered year will impact resale (5 years from now, would you want a 2019 or a 2020 model 3?)
  17. Financially, it's money down the drain when I have a perfectly working car just for some fun toys
  18. I don't drive all that much (5 mile RT commute), so a Model 3 is likely more car than I need
  19. I never buy new, but current (high) resale values dictate for me to get a white int. on white ext., it's basically cheaper to buy a new Model 3 instead of a used one - because not many used white interior / exteriors seem to be listed
  20. Tesla's games "oh if you bought during the summer solstice of 2018 you get unlimited use of your parking brake and one included floor mat" type of inconsistent, not well documented stuff

• Talk me in / out of buying one :)
  • Tell me if I should consider an SR or an SR+. I'm cheap, and I don't think I'm getting much more with an SR+ that I'd care about
  • Tell me how I will get things I do want (streaming audio) in the future with a $100/year subscription that has yet to be announced
  • Tell me to wait for a Model Y
  • Tell me to buy used
  • Tell me to stick with what I have, or buy something else
Thanks!
Jeeez if list so many cons and relatively few likes I question why you want to buy the model 3 in the first place. If the Ui and infotainment issues are big sore points then I don’t think you should get the model 3. Tesla isn’t budging in regards to adding these in the future. They see the ui as their vision of what car infotainment is. There’s no CarPlay. There’s no xm or Sirius.

Never test drove one. Went to a showroom, sat in it, played with the UI, adjusted seats, sat in back seat, tweaked stereo, yadda, yadda. Spent ~1.5 years researching online anything(pos/neg). In the end, I clearly knew THIS was my next vehicle. On the issue of “range” I figured better to have it and not need it than the opposite. You may change jobs, move to a new area/state, the unknown variables. Regardless, this vehicle will never be replaced by another ICE. My advice: Get the most you can afford; don’t short yourself.You won’t regret it, I assure you! FWIW....

Reactions: Phlier
I don't think you should buy a Model 3 given your list of concerns. However, I do wonder about about several items on your list considering that you only have a "5 mile RT commute". Why is infotainment system or CarPlay such a concern with that type of usage? Can you even listen to a complete song with such a short drive? It seems like you'd spend more time picking a song than listening to it.

Anyway, I've had my blue-on-white 3P+ for a couple of weeks and can say the following about some of your concerns (I had some of those concerns before purchasing):
  1. Key-a-as-FOB has been no issue with my ancient iPhone 6. It just works. I walk up, get in, and drive then get out and walk away.
  2. Lack of buttons. Has not been a problem so far. I use the tilt/scroll wheels for most of the functionality provided by buttons and knobs on other cars while driving. I use the touchscreen for for more complex interactions while parked.
  3. I found the AC to work well down here in Hotlanta. I set it to Auto and 72. Maybe it's the white interior, maybe because I have the overheat protection enabled. I don't know. I definitely would have liked ventilated seats for long drives. Note that I can feel warmth on my chromedome when I get in the car on a sunny day before it cools down.
  4. No Homelink. I clipped the remote than came with our garage door openers to my visor.
  5. Visibility. It's excellent out the front and sides. The back is a different story.
  6. Paint/delivery quality. My paint was fine. After a few days I noticed that one headlight is about 1 mm off center and there's a 1" crease in a rear seat. If you're going to sweat stuff like that, don't buy.
  7. Scraping the front or underside. No problems so far. My daughter's TLX scrapes its front exiting our driveway. 3P+ doesn't.
  8. Door handles. Took me a couple of days to "get" them. I don't even think about it now (my wife complained about it at first, too).
I still don't think you should buy one because you appear to be predisposed to not liking it. However, if you want a car that's fun to drive then you can't go wrong with a Model 3. There's a universal "holy sh*t" moment every time you floor it.

Honestly, OP spent more time thinking of this post and writing than me:

Choosing my options online.
Securing financing.
Seeing the Model 3 interior for the first time.
Sitting in the car.
Signing paperwork
Driving it home.

SR+ is what I would do. You think you can survive without AP and you get a Tesla loaner without it, and then you know for sure you can’t.

Stop screwing around and get it done. No regrets and not much money you can really lose on a sub 40k Tesla after the drive off lot depreciation hit.

Personally I wouldn’t get FSD on a SR+. I’d roll that into a 3P-. Every dollar into that car buys you a lot of everything.

Reactions: Phlier