Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me out of buying a 2016 70D - range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in buying a pre-facelift 2016 model s 70 D. But the thing is, I do a weekly 155 mile / 250km trip and I worry about the range. I did a search on the forum and read the posts about the 70D range, but don't find a lot of consistency (or I'm biased because I want to buy it!). I'll be doing this trip all year, twice a week, also in mild winter (Germany- Europe) at 75MPH/120KPH. I don't want to be stressing, being cold and driving super slow every time I drive this distance about making it to my destination and i really don't want to have to charge during the trip.

Can somebody who has experience with this car, confirm that I won't have to worry about the range and that i should go ahead and buy it. Or should I try to save more money and buy a longer range tesla. Please advice.

Thanks,
R

I would try to look for a model 3 instead because of the newer tech and faster charging speed. In my opinion the 60,70 and 75 model s are only for in-city driving with occasional <100 mile trips because the range isn’t enough (especially at high speeds) and the supercharging speed is much slower than a model 3 for the same price. Pre-facelift also doesn’t have the surrounding cameras and sentry mode which make the experience so much better. If I were in your place I would go for a model 3 or model s 90d

Reactions: 2101Guy
I would try to look for a model 3 instead because of the newer tech and faster charging speed. In my opinion the 60,70 and 75 model s are only for in-city driving with occasional <100 mile trips because the range isn’t enough (especially at high speeds) and the supercharging speed is much slower than a model 3 for the same price. Pre-facelift also doesn’t have the surrounding cameras and sentry mode which make the experience so much better. If I were in your place I would go for a model 3 or model s 90d
Thanks for the reply. You are right about everything you said. But, both the used model 3LR and the used s 90D are 10K EURO more expensive. Money i don't have. So, i'm okay not charging fast and not having sentry and all that. I just don't want any longer to "NeedGas".

Taking into account battery degradation, cold weather, highway speeds?, only charging it to 90%, I don't think that car will reliably make that trip without recharging. Is there a supercharger stations somewhere in the middle? If there is and you don't mind the wait then it'll probably work.

I'm interested in buying a pre-facelift 2016 model s 70 D.
Hi, the data you gave needs some clarification. First is the trip one way or around trip? That model should have around 350km range which depends on the cars odometer. I have this very model, 03/2016 AP1/106k km and I do similar trip per week. All around the year, app. 100 miles/ 147km one way. You need to understand that it’s healthy for the car to charge at least once during that trip. And less time consuming for you. I have done this three winters and four summers in a row. It all depends on the weather and wind direction as the temperature and head wind does play big part in the actual range.
I do not know how are the winter condition in german autobahn but here it’s quite hard to be faster than 100km/h (60m/h) if there is slush and ice conditions. So all this does reduce your range and if the temperature is getting really low you need to consider more than 30% range lost per drive. You will definitely learn in a way how to cope and change the climate settings but at really low temperatures you still need AC in the cabin. And do not forget that in the dual engine version you can “turn of the front one“ to save your battery range, I cant say how much, but it’s evident in the consumption chart as with one engine it’s really economical.
I can’t say if this version is really for you, but if all the “tick marks” settles in the right places then there is nothing to regret. Of course this is not a new car, you need to understand it’s used. Good luck with the search/decision!

Thanks for the reply. You are right about everything you said. But, both the used model 3LR and the used s 90D are 10K EURO more expensive. Money i don't have. So, i'm okay not charging fast and not having sentry and all that. I just don't want any longer to "NeedGas".
The repair and maintenance costs will definitely work out for you even better?

Hi, the data you gave needs some clarification. First is the trip one way or around trip? That model should have around 350km range which depends on the cars odometer. I have this very model, 03/2016 AP1/106k km and I do similar trip per week. All around the year, app. 100 miles/ 147km one way. You need to understand that it’s healthy for the car to charge at least once during that trip. And less time consuming for you. I have done this three winters and four summers in a row. It all depends on the weather and wind direction as the temperature and head wind does play big part in the actual range.
I do not know how are the winter condition in german autobahn but here it’s quite hard to be faster than 100km/h (60m/h) if there is slush and ice conditions. So all this does reduce your range and if the temperature is getting really low you need to consider more than 30% range lost per drive. You will definitely learn in a way how to cope and change the climate settings but at really low temperatures you still need AC in the cabin. And do not forget that in the dual engine version you can “turn of the front one“ to save your battery range, I cant say how much, but it’s evident in the consumption chart as with one engine it’s really economical.
I can’t say if this version is really for you, but if all the “tick marks” settles in the right places then there is nothing to regret. Of course this is not a new car, you need to understand it’s used. Good luck with the search/decision!
Hi thanks for your reply. your experience seems really relevant.
This is a one way trip, then 4 days in between to charge and then back the same 250km/155m distance ( so a total of 500/310 a week) So i have plenty of time to charge and as i said, I really don't want to charge during that one-way trip.

It hardly ever snows here, but in winter can get around freezing point on some days. Roads are usually clear (no snow, slush, ice).

What do you think? Easy or border-line?

If all the data is correct then then yes, even with mild winter temperatures. If you have SuC right where your destination is then it might be doable. I haven’t driven from Bonn on winter so can’t predict the on-route elevation. There is one good webpage, a better route planning specifically for this type of calculation. You can put ther all relevant data and it gives quite realistic results.

If all the data is correct then then yes, even with mild winter temperatures. If you have SuC right where your destination is then it might be doable. I haven’t driven from Bonn on winter so can’t predict the on-route elevation. There is one good webpage, a better route planning specifically for this type of calculation. You can put ther all relevant data and it gives quite realistic results.
Thanks, that is an interesting website. But I see it says that it would take me 98% charge if battery degradation is approx 10% and temperature is 0°C. I guess that is too tight. If that is true I guess I'll better save up some more money to get a model 3LR...

Yes, use ABetterRoutePlanner, punch in as many values as you can, make it assume 90% degradation (my 2015 70D only has 95% degradation but better to be safe in case the previous owner didn't baby the car) and 95% charge at trip startand see what it thinks.

The distance you've specified could be comfortably within the capabilities of the vehicle all the way to not possible simply because there are too many variables to be sure.

As a point of comparison, I can make a 263km trip that involves going up a mountain (670m elevation) and then back down to the start point at 10C rainy weather starting at 95% battery and ending at about 10%. ABRP calculated 13% which isn't too far off.

Last edited:
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Hmm, the website says that the 246km is impossible at 0°C for a 70D. Not sure if that estimation is a bit pessimistic. The website even considers it to be difficult to do in a 90D (requiring 94% battery) ! Remarkable, as this is just a pretty level straight line of highway.

Seems the website is saying don't buy it, but those who have replied above seem so indicate that 250km/155 miles is probably not so difficult...

Hmm, the website says that the 246km is impossible at 0°C for a 70D. Not sure if that estimation is a bit pessimistic. The website even considers it to be difficult to do in a 90D (requiring 94% battery) ! Remarkable, as this is just a pretty level straight line of highway.

Seems the website is saying don't buy it, but those who have replied above seem so indicate that 250km/155 miles is probably not so difficult...
I am not too surprised by the ABRP results. I drive a S 75D and I have only rarelly done 250 km in one go (In France so similar climate as Germany). It is doable for me on the highway at 125/130 kmh between SC but would be a stretch in cold weather and does come with some range anxiety. I think it will really depend on your risk appetite. I predict you would be relatively safe in mild weather but you might be in trouble (and would need some planning to charge enroute if needed) in the dead of winter if you hit headwinds for exemple.

I have a 70D and occasionally take it to a ski resort that is 140 miles away. I can make it there in the dead of winter with about 10% battery, but since the public chargers at the resort are not reliable I need to make it with 20% so that I have enough juice to get to the nearest supercharger after skiing, so I usually supercharge for 10 minutes on the way there. If I get public charging at the resort I can make it all the way home but if not it'll take 50 minutes to supercharge enough to make it home.

I love my car but I do sometimes wish it had the faster supercharging that the new cars have, and also wish it had just ~20% more range. Mine was 240mi range from the factory and around 230 mi now (warm, flat, etc), but I think the model 3 would be your sweet spot.

Reinax,

I just noticed this discussion and wanted to know if you have made a decision? I have a 2015 S70D and normally a distance of 250km/155m is of no concern for me. My maximum charge is now 345km/215m and my highway efficiency is getting me to about 90% of that number. I looked at the Tesla Supercharger map near Bonn and while I don't know your destination, it seems that there are options for a quick supercharge along the way. You would know better.
If cost were your biggest factor and you couldn't get a car with better range then I think the car you are considering would fit. Make sure you see it charged to its maximum range before buying.