Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk Me Out of It: Dodge Charger Scat Pack before Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I apologize in advance if this post offends any of you, but I just have to confess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car buff, and have a fondness for anything with wheels, whether its powered by electrons or hydrocarbons. Those of you that follow the new car market closely may be aware of the Dodge Charger Scat Pack. If you're not, it's a large family sedan (roughly Model S sized, for reference) powered by a 6.4 liter Hemi V-8 producing 485 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque. It's capable of 0-60 in just 4.1 seconds, and retails for approximately $41,000. By conventional metrics, it's a phenomenal performance bargain. Considering its power and performance, even the EPA ratings aren't horrible at 15 city/25 highway.

I know for most of you, the decision between waiting for the Model 3, or giving in to impulse and buying a hydrocarbon-swilling "dinosaur" is a no-brainer. I'm inclined to hold out for the Model 3, but can't help but think what fun the Charger would be in the interim. Or at least until gas prices go up to $7 a gallon, which is already a reality in many parts of the world. I implore you...talk some sense into my gearhead. BTW, I'm most inclined to listen to rational financial arguments rather than appeals to environmentalism. I'm not a climate "denier," but pragmatic financial interests hold about equal import to me as environmental ones.

Running into the same issue, for me it was all about waiting for the Model 3 but my current car isn't going to make it. That left me with a few options, CPO Audi S4, new Audi S3, or just get something boring to get me over the hump until the Model 3 arrives. After some number crunching a CPO Model S seems like it will fit the bill. If I like it as much as I think I will a model 3 might NOT be in my future :smile:. That being said, you'd be doing yourself a huge injustice not exploring the CPO options.

Yeah. The Charger SRT, which is essentially mechanically identical (sans the 8-speed transmission) has been out since '13, and I could probably pick one of those up for a song, considering the dismal resale value of late-model Mopars. Right now, I have a fully paid-for car with about 50,000 miles on it. It has a 100,000 powertrain warranty, and so far, has been reasonably reliable (though not perfect). Personally, I'm not too keen on German models based on a negative past experience. I think the most rational course of action at this point would be to wait for the reveal of the Model 3 "concept" in Spring '16, and then make a determination based on what information is revealed at that point. I can easily wait another 9-12 months to make a decision one way or the other.

So, if I understand you correctly, you already have a car that fits your needs, and want a fun car to drive, preferably an electric one. The model S is out, so you have to wait a few years (2-4) for the model 3 or get the Dodge (now.)

The question you are asking is if it would make financial sense to buy now a new car, that gets worse mileage (I suppose, don't know what MPG your current car gets), to replace your already paid for and perfectly functional car ? I think you already know the answer to that question, now don't you ? :wink:

So, if you want to justify this car, financials isn't a good idea. Environment neither. Having a fun car to drive however is a valid justification.

As I wrote recently in answer to a similar question (on my blog):

Assume you look at a 10 year ownership period with 15,000 miles per year. I don't really take into account depreciation per se. but rather what do you have left at the end of that period.

Pick a $40k car like a Fusion or a Taurus to get close in size to the Model S. We're talking 150,000 miles with an average (realistically-- not fantasy EPA numbers that don't account for hills, cold weather, running late to work, etc) of around 20 mpg. Likewise gas prices are unpredictable but I'm going to say $3.50/gallon and assume they'd end up higher if anything (and MUCH higher if using anything other than regular). Your gas costs over 10 years then equal $26,250. Figure another 50 oil changes in that time for $1500, state inspection/emissions $850 and we're up to $28,600 in running costs. You'll certainly need at least one set of brakes in that time and possibly more-- costs vary depending how DIY you are-- plus air filters, timing belt/chain, fluid flushes and all the other repairs (head gaskets seem to run in my family) and maintenance on a car approaching 150,000 miles. All of that combined is going to be a significant number of some kind-- but we'll NOT count it directly and assume it's just the "wildcard" number of at least $5000. Add in the purchase price of the car ($40k) and our total thus far is: $73600+

Now consider a car of that age and mileage. What's the life expectancy of the components you've been fortunate enough NOT to already replace? Transmission, gaskets, valves, exhaust system, body rust, belts, hoses, etc. etc. How many used 150k+ miles cars would YOU buy? The Tesla-- even with the worst case battery degradation-- will still be completely usable and performing exactly as it did on Day One because electrical motors don't degrade. Consider a new battery pack (which will be vastly cheaper and more powerful ten years from now) if you want to really extend the car's service life. Even so, it should still be rust free and performing just as it did when new.

Finally, consider the difference in safety, performance, convenience (no gas station commutes/time wasted), technology and-- frankly-- satisfaction between a Taurus and a Tesla. There really is no comparison. They're in completely different leagues.

So you can surely find a Tesla of some variety (even a CPO car) for less than about $74,000, which is the break even price with the $40k car. Consider the costs of competitive (performance/luxury) sedans and you're talking cars that compete for the SAME acquisition costs and then have running costs piled on top of that (making the Tesla an easy winner).

Factor in the tax rebates... and the scales go from slam dunk to .... whatever is beyond that!

One of my co-workers recently purchased a Challenger Scat Pack. He sometimes drives it from Colorado to Kansas for business trips instead of taking an airline trip. He's really enjoying the car.

Short video review posted at 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack Review - 0-100 MPH - YouTube

I got a ride with the owner on a recent private outing to Hallett Racing Circuit. This is a fantastic road course located in the MidWest. This was the owner's first track event and he had a great time. It's obviously wasn't the fastest car on the track (we had a couple Atoms, several Lotus models, BMW M3/M5s, etc... in attendance), but it did a good job. Being a first outing, he was really working on learning the track, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it cornered. It wasn't the pig that everyone joked it would be on the track.

As long as you're prepared to take a huge hit with depreciation on the planned short-term ownership of a new vehicle, I don't see any reason not to go with the the Charger. That'll be the case with any new vehicle purchase that you sell in a couple years.

Honestly, this is a serious question...but has Dodge overcome their affinity for morphing into a steaming pile of garbage after the first year? Admittedly, I don't have experience with their high performance models...but I have had friends that have absolutely hated their cars after about a year.

Just something to consider with a DD.

Well, from a financial perspective you can consider this...we took a hit of close to $40k when we bought a P85 in 2013 and then upgraded to the P85D in 2014. That's pretty close to the purchase price of the Charger.

I'd buy the Charger, enjoy it and if the Model 3 ever does go into production you can reassess the car situation.

A lot of you bring up a valid point about resale on these models. The only thing really keeping me from getting a used SRT 392 is the 5-speed transmission. The ZF-licensed 8-speed in the new RWD Chryslers is really fantastic, and I'd want to get it if at all possible. Thanks for the feedback.