Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me out of it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm in the wrong place for that. Seriously want to take the plunge and put in the order. Feedback appreciated. I'm mostly using this post as a way of helping me think through a major (and fun!) decision.

Background: I'm a car nut, one of those type A car personalities. My daily car right now is a 2006 CLK convertible and I love it -- it is a perfect car for socal: fun, convertible, luxurious, and looks fantastic. But if I do the S thing, the convertible will have to go and I'm a little sad about that. My wife has a 2010 SUV gas guzzler. I really really want a Tesla. You have no idea. Well, I guess y'all do have an idea.

So here's my stream of thoughts and questions:

1. The S is a BIG car. I've measured and it would fit in my garage, but barely. My wife's SUV is enormous, too, so space will be very tight. I'm one of those guys that believes garages should be used for cars, not storage space for boxes of crap I'll never, ever use again. So both cars have to be garaged. For those of you with regular ol' suburban houses with standard two-car garages with two cars inside, how is the fit? It will be easiest for me to get a charging outlet installed on the left wall of my garage, which means cramped space on the driver's side. Any tips?

2. It's also not a convertible. I don't care for sunroofs -- never use them much on my cars that have had them. I have the top down on my CLK all the time and I think I'll miss that part most of all. For those of you with the panoramic roof: do you really use it much? It doesn't come close to that ragtop feeling, does it? Don't know whether or not to get that option if it will only make me miss my convertible. For those of you that have given up a roadster or convertible, what was the transition like?

3. Thoughts on the following options:

• 19" wheels: I don't want to have to change tires so often and don't want to worry so much about scratching up the rims. 19" it is. This makes some other decisions easier, too ...
  • standard suspension. I thought a lot about this one. I just won't want to worry about expensive repairs when the warranty expires, and since I won't have the fancy tires, why bother with air suspension? Reasonable?
  • Tech package is a must. Leather is a must.
  • I believe the sound system upgrade is a must, yes? I have the Mercedes Harman Kardon sound package in my CLK and it sounds better than any other car I've been in. My wife's SUV also has a factory upgraded sound system and it is very disappointing. While I'm not a serious audiophile, it sounds like the Tesla sound is just nice at best. Third-party solutions are a pain. So I just go with the Tesla upgrade and keep my expectations in check?
  • Single charger seems ok for my needs, but I want to be able to super charge.
  • No need for rear seats, paint armor.

So all of the above leads me to the standard 85kWh model. I get the super charger capability, longer range, and skip the fancy wheels and air suspension which I don't really want anyway.

Color: I'm not really a red car kind of guy, but the new red looks really nice. I might have to become a red car guy? Silver/gray is too blah for me. White and black look great, and would be "safe" colors for me. Black is always dirty, but I wash my cars all the time anyway. Blue is a maybe. But let's go a bit crazy: I'm thinking green with tan interior? Or red with black interior? Good problems to have! I will have to spend some time at the UTC Tesla showroom for these important considerations.

I'm already up to $82k after the tax credit, plus sales tax and floormats. With service options it looks like it's really more when all is said and done, so I'll have questions about whether most S owners get the service plans or not.

Anyway, I'm about 65% on the "yup, gonna do it". So talk me out of it!

I live in San Diego, if you want to chat or look at my car, let me know...

I have two cars in the garage, one LEAF pointed front-in and the Tesla backed in. That puts the two driver doors next to each other and makes it easier to get in/out...Also makes the spacing easier in the garage...

How about outlining why you wouldn't want to buy it? That would probably be a shorter list... :)

It is a big car. You are right about that. My mirrors clear the garage opening by about 2 in on each side and it is a little bit cramped but that is just the way it is. Put a 14-50 240v outlet in the left rear side of the car, high enough that you can hang the cord on a hook and let it droop without hitting the floor. You probably don't need the HPC or the dual chargers. In over 6 months I have not had need for either.
I can't really help you with the convertable thing since I prefer the top closed but do get the pano anyway as it will add more headroom (about 2 in) to the front and back.
My other recommendation would be to get the air suspension. It makes a big difference to the ride quality and is a very reasonably priced option as those things go.
On the sound, the forward-centric sound takes some adjustment to get used to but folks here have come up with some good recommendations on settings. I've been pretty happy with it, although I know some disagree.
I have the 85 cuz I want no limits and I want the performance. It's a good decision for my needs. Sounds like a good decision for you too.
I am going with the annual service without the prepaid ranger option but I live near a service center so I really don't need the rangers.
Red with the black leather and carbon fiber trim looks stunning but then you have to buy the P for that.

Jump on in.

Anyway, I'm about 65% on the "yup, gonna do it". So talk me out of it!

Most everyone here will tell you the agonizing and decisions making that went on before getting their car. Most everyone will tell you they spent more, sometimes LOTS more than they had ever spent on a car, or several cars, before in their lives.

But, importantly, most everyone will tell you... They have never been sorry. And that's what I want to say. Whatever you decide on including, for whatever reasons, you will never be sorry.

Go for it.

Another thought for you is to consider getting a Roadster. You'll get the amazing drive of a Tesla with the benefit of a convertible. The downside is that you can't go on long trips with it as of now without taking a few hours to charge the battery after the charge gets low. So get the Roadster as the deals are crazy right now and use your wife's SUV for long trips!

1) Consider a Roadster
2) Sell the SUV and let the Model S be mainly your wife's car and you enjoy it when she's not using it
3) Order a Model X and get ride of the SUV
4) Just bite the bullet. You're likely not to miss that convertible nearly as much as you think

The pano roof is no substitute for a rag top. It's too noisy when open at highway speed, as well. But it's good for headroom and giving the cabin an airy feel.

I've owned both a Roadster and now a Model S. the Roadster is fun, but it's kind of a one-trick pony compared to the S, which is a refined, versatile automobile with smile-inducing performance (and mine's just a standard 85). The 19's are fine for a standard 85, and you'll get many more miles out of a set of tires than the 21's. The sound system upgrade is just pretty good, nothing special.

Pull the trigger: you won't regret it.

I live in San Diego, if you want to chat or look at my car, let me know...

How about outlining why you wouldn't want to buy it? That would probably be a shorter list... :)

Randy, I may have to take you up on that offer, thank you! I'll send a PM with an offer to buy you a Starbucks.

Why not to buy it? Well, yes, it's a short list. It's an awful chunk of money, but that's obvious and no amount of rationalization will get around that point. I felt the same way about my Mercedes and have had no regrets. But really, that's the only reason. I can afford it, but like I tell my kids, just because you can afford it doesn't mean a $5 latte every day is good use of money. Says the guy with the convertible.

I have a small list of minor gripes about all my cars. For the S, it would be the following, I suspect:

1. No ventilated seats
2. No folding side mirrors
3. Not enough places on the inside to put stuff, e.g. door pockets, how was that overlooked? Where do I put my sunglasses and phone? Like I said, I'm a bit type A when it comes to cars and I don't like having stuff out all over the place.

A luxury car should have all of the above.

Whatever. None of the above are enough to put me off. I seriously considered a Leaf for a while, but it has some deal-killers for me. Namely, it's not a luxury car and the range isn't quite there.

My next car will be an EV, I've been saying that for years, but I never would have predicted I'd be this excited about an American car.

I have a small list of minor gripes about all my cars. For the S, it would be the following, I suspect:

1. No ventilated seats
2. No folding side mirrors
3. Not enough places on the inside to put stuff, e.g. door pockets, how was that overlooked? Where do I put my sunglasses and phone? Like I said, I'm a bit type A when it comes to cars and I don't like having stuff out all over the place.

For me, lack of ventilated seats isn't really much of an issue even with having black leather seats and pano roof in Texas. I have gotten into the habit of pre-cooling my car about 10 min before I walk out to it. Jumping into a nice, cool car instead of a sauna far outweighs the benefits of ventilated seats but I've never owned ventilated seats so maybe they are worth it. I'm sure it is nicer to have them than to not have them so maybe that will be a future option. Probably not enough to not get the car though as the mobile app works well.

Lack of folding side mirrors should also be addressed at some point but may not be retrofittable. If this is a must-have feature maybe it will be in a future version.

There is a cubby shelf under the 17" screen for sunglasses and your phone. Tesla will be selling a center console that drops in as well this summer and there are a few aftermarket options as well.

Good luck! As long as none of the things you listed are show-stoppers I think you are making a good decision.

Ok, on a longer note, here's my fresh-from-the-test-drive review. I tested a loaded P85, although my order is for a standard 85kWh with 19" wheels.

1. Obligatory wow!
  2. Stomping on the pedal from a stop was a kick in the pants, but also about what I expected.
  3. Going from 45 to 65+, however, even though I thought I knew what to expect, had me cackling. Ok, giggling.
  4. The little whine when the battery output is maxed out is a nice little reward. Well done by Tesla and a nice easter egg.
  5. Sunroof is a bit better than I expected, and it was one of the things I was worried about. I'll be ok without a convertible.
  6. The little ledge to hold phones and glasses seems fine.
  7. The looks from other people. Sure it was just a 10 minute test drive, but yeah, I got looks.
  8. Regenerative braking is really cool. Took no time to get used to it.
  9. The 17" screen is intuitive, and the driver's dashboard display equally so. I've always preferred analog gauges, but Tesla seems to have solved this problem. The displays are very impressive.
  10. A/C was comfortable, seats, steering, visibility all fine.
  11. The UI and software is Apple quality. I asked a ton of questions about whether the car "knows" to do this or that, and yes, it generally does. I love that there is no "on/off" button for the car.
Really, it was an unfair test.

So, the stuff I didn't like:

1. It's a minimalist interior. I know that's by design to keep costs under control. I do wish there were door pockets.
  2. It's a bit too wide. I'm surprised the car isn't just a bit narrower. Back seat has plenty of leg room, could even be a bit shorter, too.
  3. Seats are comfy but don't hug me the way my CLK does.
  4. No free hat when ordering a car.

So yeah, I'm really stretching to find things I didn't like. So here's what I ordered:

standard 85kWh
green / tan
19" / standard suspension
tech and audio
sunroof
single charger
hat

Toughest decisions were on color. (For the hat, too!)

Ok, on a longer note, here's my fresh-from-the-test-drive review. I tested a loaded P85, although my order is for a standard 85kWh with 19" wheels.

1. Obligatory wow!
  2. Stomping on the pedal from a stop was a kick in the pants, but also about what I expected.
  3. Going from 45 to 65+, however, even though I thought I knew what to expect, had me cackling. Ok, giggling.
  4. The little whine when the battery output is maxed out is a nice little reward. Well done by Tesla and a nice easter egg.
  5. Sunroof is a bit better than I expected, and it was one of the things I was worried about. I'll be ok without a convertible.
  6. The little ledge to hold phones and glasses seems fine.
  7. The looks from other people. Sure it was just a 10 minute test drive, but yeah, I got looks.
  8. Regenerative braking is really cool. Took no time to get used to it.
  9. The 17" screen is intuitive, and the driver's dashboard display equally so. I've always preferred analog gauges, but Tesla seems to have solved this problem. The displays are very impressive.
  10. A/C was comfortable, seats, steering, visibility all fine.
  11. The UI and software is Apple quality. I asked a ton of questions about whether the car "knows" to do this or that, and yes, it generally does. I love that there is no "on/off" button for the car.
Really, it was an unfair test.

So, the stuff I didn't like:

1. It's a minimalist interior. I know that's by design to keep costs under control. I do wish there were door pockets.
  2. It's a bit too wide. I'm surprised the car isn't just a bit narrower. Back seat has plenty of leg room, could even be a bit shorter, too.
  3. Seats are comfy but don't hug me the way my CLK does.
  4. No free hat when ordering a car.

So yeah, I'm really stretching to find things I didn't like. So here's what I ordered:

standard 85kWh
green / tan
19" / standard suspension
tech and audio
sunroof
single charger
hat

Toughest decisions were on color. (For the hat, too!)
Congrats! You won't regret it and it never gets old...

There's no way I'm going make it two full weeks before sending it to production. Tesla rep knew what I was thinking, looked me in the eye today and said, "You have to sleep on it. I'm not letting you lock it in today." Dirty sales tactics, I say!