Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me out of the new Model S refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I have a Model Y Performance on order since quite some time now (I haven't taken delivery since I don't need an extra car right now). Ever since the Model S refresh has been announced, I am leaning towards cancelling my Y order and put in an order for a Model S LR instead. Some of the pros I see are longer range (412 vs 306), faster acceleration, roomier interior, better sound system, active noise cancellation, air suspension, while I lose out on the trunk space of the Y and of course, the S will run me $86k plus taxes. For those who have driven both, the Model Y and the S (older one), why would you pick one over the other?
The Model Y purchase was primarily to have a bit more luggage space but I figure that a Model S trunk is not too bad either although definitely not as roomy as the Y.

We had ordered a MS LR+ since 6/19 and waited, and waited, and then put it on hold in September to wait for the refresh. I then placed my order for a new MS LR+ for ~$16k more. I then waited and waited, then I went to drive a MYP and I absolutely loved it. Why? It was everything I liked about an SUV and it was really quick. All the things you named, they sound better, but when I looked at quality reports for each new Tesla vehicle, they are always very, very poor. I couldn't risk that on a $96k car. Not to mention Tesla removed the policy where you can take delivery and drive the car for seven days then return it for full refund. That is gone. Once you take delivery now the car is yours. That was a huge issue for me. I called and switched to the MYP two weeks ago, I took delivery 10 days later. I've had it for one week exactly, today. I don't regret going with the MYP one bit, it was completely the right choice. Also, we don't have a big family, it's just my wife and I so space was not an issue. I thought I would really miss a dash in front of me but I was wrong, I actually like not having anything in front of me. Also, 3.5s vs. 3.1s didn't really matter much to me...they're both very, very fast.

@ssv22 hope this helps.

I have a 2020 Y and a 2019 S. Most of the time I drive my Y because of performance, like the smaller size and just fun factor. Having said this I will get a new S at the end of this year but I have a feeling my Y will be my daily driver.

Reactions: ssv22
We really needed an X for our family size (decided to go for a 3 for a year as we need a car and Y is not an option yet in our region), but had two issues I was not willing to take on my shoulder: 1) new model build quality/bug/quirk risk, and 2) upcoming price depreciation dump as they will need to adjust prices radically when Cybertruck, Rivian, and other similar size competition (so many new EV cars coming out by end of 2021) comes out at the end of the year. Specifically, no interest in paying a premium (of a smaller battery?) to beome a test driver in any sense of the word.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I have a Model Y Performance on order since quite some time now (I haven't taken delivery since I don't need an extra car right now). Ever since the Model S refresh has been announced, I am leaning towards cancelling my Y order and put in an order for a Model S LR instead. Some of the pros I see are longer range (412 vs 306), faster acceleration, roomier interior, better sound system, active noise cancellation, air suspension, while I lose out on the trunk space of the Y and of course, the S will run me $86k plus taxes. For those who have driven both, the Model Y and the S (older one), why would you pick one over the other?
The Model Y purchase was primarily to have a bit more luggage space but I figure that a Model S trunk is not too bad either although definitely not as roomy as the Y.
Model Y has a roomier interior than the Model S. Model S is wider, but the rear seats in the Model S are terrible. I always feel uncomfortable in the back of the Model S. Back of Model Y is great.

Reactions: ssv22
I drove a 2018 S a few days ago. I have a Y LR. Might be bias, but I enjoy driving the Y way more, as well as the interior and the room. That being said, I am sure that most of the things that I prefer in the Y are in the refreshes of the S and X: more minimalist interior/fewer buttons, landscape screen, bigger frunk etc...

The Model S or X were never in my budget, so I never really bothered to look into it very far, but I definitely don’t regret the Y, having now driven both.

We had ordered a MS LR+ since 6/19 and waited, and waited, and then put it on hold in September to wait for the refresh. I then placed my order for a new MS LR+ for ~$16k more. I then waited and waited, then I went to drive a MYP and I absolutely loved it. Why? It was everything I liked about an SUV and it was really quick. All the things you named, they sound better, but when I looked at quality reports for each new Tesla vehicle, they are always very, very poor. I couldn't risk that on a $96k car. Not to mention Tesla removed the policy where you can take delivery and drive the car for seven days then return it for full refund. That is gone. Once you take delivery now the car is yours. That was a huge issue for me. I called and switched to the MYP two weeks ago, I took delivery 10 days later. I've had it for one week exactly, today. I don't regret going with the MYP one bit, it was completely the right choice. Also, we don't have a big family, it's just my wife and I so space was not an issue. I thought I would really miss a dash in front of me but I was wrong, I actually like not having anything in front of me. Also, 3.5s vs. 3.1s didn't really matter much to me...they're both very, very fast.

@ssv22 hope this helps.
I bought the M3 3 weeks ago and thought I would miss having dash in front. But I also agree it doesn’t bother me. It’s nice having it to side where steering wheel doesn’t block view.

I have the S, wife has the Y. Cant go wrong with either. Really depends on your needs and preferences.
I can say that my Wifes Y (with the 20" wheels and no air suspension) absolutely has a "firmer" ride than my S. Recessed manhole covers, road imperfections, etc are felt about 40% more in the Y than the S.

Although my S has 0-60 4.2, her Y LR feels just as quick in acceleration, even though its listed at 4.8.

Model Y is smaller, so handling is quicker/its more nimble.

Storage space is a non issue to me, as both have plenty.

In the end, Im a car guy. I like to sit lower when driving. She prefers sitting higher. So for her, Y is favorite. For me, the S.

I've got an early VIN LR Y and I have had the "pleasure" of driving several S variants while Tesla worked out the kinks. If you happen to have any sort of back issues (like me), and/or are tall (like me--6'4") getting in and out of the S is an absolute chore. I have to contort my whole body to exit. Kids didn't really care for the back seats either. Everyone loves the Y.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just think about the model y and 3 how many issues there were when the first run came off the assembly lines. Figure it will take a year before they iron out all the, ooops we did not think of that stuff. By then I may even get myself a plaid something or other, never a new model off the line.

I just got a MYP and want some of those same things in a refresh S/X plaid. But, I know I should try to wait a year. I also need to drive both. I like the look of the S more but it might be a lot smaller than I think.

However, the MYP is nice for trips, it’s fun to drive, and wherever that damn FSD subscription comes out I’ll enjoy it more. And the sound system seems to be breaking in and I think it sounds better over Bluetooth rather than streaming Spotify. I think if I do some things to make it feel more mine, I can hang in there longer.

I really want the amazing sound system, stupid speed, and the lux I’m used to, but the Y is really fun. We have been opting to take it on 2hr trips rather than the Pacifica PHEV we also just bought. Carves up the road nice and autopilot is a godsend.

I love my Model S LR+ If you can swing the money, go for it! You won't regret it. Far superior for road trips too. But for local driving, the Y is a great second car. We just ordered one to replace our obsolete Nissan Leaf.

Of course, I'm not as excited about the MS refresh. I actually prefer the older built in vertical screen.

Only thing is, I don't see the advantage of these performance trims as they are really expensive unless you plan to race your Tesla on the track. I'd rather spend the money on FSD and PPF than on getting a slight quick start advantage out of the gate. But everyone is different as to what's important.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Had Model S for 3 years and Model Y LR for 5 days.
MS has plenty of trunk space for most things, unless you are carrying recliners or you want the dog to stand up straight in the trunk. Remember that the cubic feet of trunk space listed on tesla website shows just the trunk for MS and the whole backseat for MY. Not sure why it does that.
MS is a bit faster in a straight line, and much more planted in the corners. But MY feels unexpectedly fast. I have an Equinox for work and the last cars were Jeeps and a Mazda CX-5. Those are sloooow cars, so a crossover SUV like MY feels really quick because you sit high and expect something slow. It's a sleeper.
MY suspension is NOT as forgiving as Model S.
Model S will scrape a high curb or parking garage where MY probably will not.
Model Y is significantly less road noise. Might be because my S is older.
Model Y has quieter motors. Might be because my S is older.

Reactions: 2101Guy
The yoke kills the Model S refresh for me. If they ever get it to work as it work as it should, I might reconsider but as is, it's just a steering wheel without the wheel.

Tesla-Model-S-yoke-steering-wheel-hero.jpg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The yoke kills the Model S refresh for me. If they ever get it to work as it work as it should, I might reconsider but as is, it's just a steering wheel without the wheel.

Tesla-Model-S-yoke-steering-wheel-hero.jpg
Has anyone checked if the yoke can be swapped out for a wheel. We know they do make a round one. It's telling that in a mission critical environment, Randy Pobst opted for a regular wheel (Pike's Peak).

I can't help you, I'm so tempted. But the ONE thing holding me back is our LR AWD with 81xx miles and over $6K in accessories/mods is PAID FOR.

Even if I took the offer I received from CARVANA I'd still need to come up with OVER $40K. So from a purely financial point of view, it's beyond STUPID. So I will silently lust after the new S and envy owners and drive my perfect Y with the title in the safe.

Owned the Model S in 2017, sold for the Model X (2018). Now have the Model Y (2020). Love the Y. Wife loves the X. I think the Y is everything that the model 3 could have been but not as sportier to drive. I think there is more room in the S over the Y. From the many video's that I've seen on the MS refresh, there is usually a comment on how nice the inside is. I do hope to pick up an MS 3 years to do down the road and keep the MY. I really do love the MY.