Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talked about Tesla/Model S/EVs/Sustainable Transportation to Grade 4&5 Classes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when my wife's principle heard I got the Model S, I has invited to speak to a couple of classes about it and EVs. It was an interesting experience! First off, all the boys loved 'getting out of class' to hear about cars/EVs (no surprise there). The most popular question was 'can a kid get into/ride/hide in the frunk?'. I wasn't quite prepared for that... they really seemed fascinated by the concept of a frunk (while I have a P85D, the pictures I was showing was a RWD frunk, obviously a lot larger). The best question of the day came from a girl who asked if driving through very large puddles would be safe, given that electricity and water don't mix. I would have been pretty stumped for an answer had there not been a fair bit of talk on the forum about that very topic due to the floods in California. The next most popular topic (again, no surprise) was 'can you play games on the 17" screen?'.

The kids seemed to quite like a section about friction vs regenerative breaking, where they rubbed their hands together fast to get them to warm up... while I'm sure they've done that before, coming out of the cold, actually connecting it with friction and the transfer of energy into heat seemed to be well received.

But, alas, I am no match for the car. Any level of excitement/engagement they showed towards my talk was quickly outdone by the excitement of going out to see the car. Of course the touchscreen got a lot of attention, but again they were absolutely most fascinated by the frunk (and observantly noted it was smaller than the picture earlier).

I was a bit worried about it all seeming like a bit of advertisement just for Tesla, but I think it came off ok in the end. The talk was capped off by playing the fan made Gallons of Light commercial/video... fantastic if you haven't seen it, I encourage you to watch it.

Has anyone else done anything similar (same/different age groups)?

Curious... so what is the answer to driving a Tesla through a deep puddle?

3s-a-charm
Grade 5

My answer was the electrical components are sealed and that you would not be electrocuted sitting in the car as you drove through. While the car is not a submarine, and should not go into deep water, it should do OK going through large puddles. I then pointed out that a gas car has the disadvantage of needing air to burn the gasoline, and if the water got in instead of air, the car could be seriously damaged.