Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall Model S owners - 6'5" (195cm)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6'3" here, have a safety tip for tall humans. When adjusting seat position bend forward and check if your forehead will hit the front header above, if it does move seat back further until it cleared and telescope steering wheel out to fit. Failure to do so could cause scalping or worse in high speed frontal impact.

6’4” no issue with model S but Model 3 has more room
Also 6'4"and a bit creaky; skiing accident related knees and age related everything else.

I spied my first S in 2015 and was immediately deeply smitten by the design. I still think it is just about the best looking car in its class.

I had never bothered sitting in an S believing, from what I had been told, there was no chance I would fit.
I found the M3 a little snug so waited for the Y which I test drove a week ago and found it very comfortable. While at the centre, I sat in a 3 year old S and to my surprise and delight, found it a reasonable fit. I will hire one soon for a proper test.

For me, the MY is not unlovely, in fact, with that characteristic rear haunch look it is quite attractive. So, should I live the dream and go for a used Model S (depending on how I feel after a few day's driving the renter)?

Well, a coil sprung vehicle would be too old and the earlier version (perhaps also the later) of air suspension, though marvellous, is apparently fraught with potential problems requiring expensive fixes; I'm not sure about driving a beautiful looking "time bomb"; the older the car and the higher the mileage, the shorter the fuse.

Any S owner's comments on the suspension would be appreciated.

Also 6'4"and a bit creaky; skiing accident related knees and age related everything else.

I spied my first S in 2015 and was immediately deeply smitten by the design. I still think it is just about the best looking car in its class.

I had never bothered sitting in an S believing, from what I had been told, there was no chance I would fit.
I found the M3 a little snug so waited for the Y which I test drove a week ago and found it very comfortable. While at the centre, I sat in a 3 year old S and to my surprise and delight, found it a reasonable fit. I will hire one soon for a proper test.

For me, the MY is not unlovely, in fact, with that characteristic rear haunch look it is quite attractive. So, should I live the dream and go for a used Model S (depending on how I feel after a few day's driving the renter)?

Well, a coil sprung vehicle would be too old and the earlier version (perhaps also the later) of air suspension, though marvellous, is apparently fraught with potential problems requiring expensive fixes; I'm not sure about driving a beautiful looking "time bomb"; the older the car and the higher the mileage, the shorter the fuse.

Any S owner's comments on the suspension would be appreciated.
Buying an S would be asking for trouble due to challenge of ingress and especially egress.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
I’m 6’6” ~260. I owned a 3 for 3 years. The previous S was way uncomfortable for me. The refreshed S is much more spacious. It’s more comfortable than the 3, seats are wider. Sure it’s low but unless you have serious mobility issues, no problem.

I'm 6'7", and I've been driving Model S models since 2015. As roomy as any car I've driven before, but you definitely want the upgraded seats if you are looking at an older model (no choices in anything later than 2018). I keep the seat all the way back, with the rear all the way down, and I'm fine, room-wise. My only complaint (and this is for virtually every vehicle I've had for street use) is there is never enough thigh support for those with longer legs (38" inseam). I wish there was an extendable front section on the seats.

I'm 6'7", and I've been driving Model S models since 2015. As roomy as any car I've driven before, but you definitely want the upgraded seats if you are looking at an older model (no choices in anything later than 2018). I keep the seat all the way back, with the rear all the way down, and I'm fine, room-wise. My only complaint (and this is for virtually every vehicle I've had for street use) is there is never enough thigh support for those with longer legs (38" inseam). I wish there was an extendable front section on the seats.
Thank you all for your comments / advice.
@ Cruiserlarry could please clarify : "no choices in anything later than 2018"

Thank you all for your comments / advice.
@ Cruiserlarry could please clarify : "no choices in anything later than 2018"
I don't think Tesla offered multiple seat options in the Model S after 2018 Raven was introduced. Previously, you could choose either the standard seat (awful IMO) or the premium seat (more comfortable IMO). The standard seat offered in the earlier models was much thinner, very little bolstering, and had a fixed headrest. THe premium seat was thicker, better boolstering, and originally had adjustable headrest and lumbar support (the newest version has fixed headrests now) With the Model S Raven, the premium seat was the only choice.

LPT: Don't get scalped/concussed by the A cross beam.

When you set up seat position lean forward checking if your forehead touches the beam, keep
moving seat back until head clears. Move steering column backward if needed.

6'3" here, drove for about a year closer to the the front until I realized my mistake. With the
glass sunroof I can keep the seat forward position (VW/Chrysler joint study determined survivability
increases the closer the angle formed by the seat bottom and back is to 90 degrees.

Comfy to drive for me, reassuring to know 5mm of glass are separating me from the
rocks in a rollover.