Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall Model S owners - 6'5" (195cm)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's not into the X. Have you ever comfortably driven a Model S or know anyone who has?

My BF and I rented one for a long weekend, and he had no issues, and he's just shy of 6'4".

My friend Keith isn't really looking for an EV yet, more likely a plug-in hybrid. But I'm giving him the pitch for electric.

Last edited:
I know two 6'5" S owners (or at least former owners; it's been a few years since I have seen them). They were very happy with their cars.

I knew them because before they got their S, they owned Tesla Roadsters. Yeah, they fit in there, though they sure had to fold themselves up to get in when the hardtop was on...

I sold my 2019 M3P recently and test drove a MY yesterday. The dealer had an unsold S on the lot, and I asked to look at it. I'm 6'4" and mostly legs, and although the S certainly wasn't uncomfortable, it seemed to have a fair amount less legroom when I'm sitting in it than the M3. I found the S to be a bit easier to enter/exit than the M3P (which is pretty low), but not nearly as user friendly in that regard as the MY.

Reactions: Fred42
I sold my 2019 M3P recently and test drove a MY yesterday. The dealer had an unsold S on the lot, and I asked to look at it. I'm 6'4" and mostly legs, and although the S certainly wasn't uncomfortable, it seemed to have a fair amount less legroom when I'm sitting in it than the M3. I found the S to be a bit easier to enter/exit than the M3P (which is pretty low), but not nearly as user friendly in that regard as the MY.
Interesting. So you found the MY more friendly to a tall person than the Model S?

6'7" and over 216k miles on a 2013 Model S. No issues. Wife has a Model X and that is even better. In the process of getting an X for myself.
Not sure what year you are looking for, but I recently drove a S loaner without the sunroof and that definitely felt like it has less headroom.

Reactions: Fred42
So you found the MY more friendly to a tall person than the Model S?

Without a doubt - for me, at least. I think the seat height difference between the M3 and MY is about 6", which is significant. The MY to S seat height difference is probably similar.

Unfortunately, however, what makes the MY so user friendly in terms of entry/exit - being kinda tall and porky - has an aesthetic price, at least to my eye. Although the MY is growing on me the more I see them, it will always be a bit of an ugly duckling compared to the S (and the 3) as far as I'm concerned - I find the S to be a stunningly attractive car.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Without a doubt - for me, at least. I think the seat height difference between the M3 and MY is about 6", which is significant. The MY to S seat height difference is probably similar.

Unfortunately, however, what makes the MY so user friendly in terms of entry/exit - being kinda tall and porky - has an aesthetic price, at least to my eye. Although the MY is growing on me the more I see them, it will always be a bit of an ugly duckling compared to the S (and the 3) as far as I'm concerned - I find the S to be a stunningly attractive car.
Agreed. I'm getting an MY because it's fun to drive and of course an EV, and the price is right. I didn't get into an MY and think it was so beautiful, but once I drove it I liked it.

My tall friend probably would find the MY too plain for his tastes.

I’m 6’6” 250 longer torso. I do not like the seat in the current S. The bottom of the headrest pokes me at the bottom of my neck even with the headrest raised, unless I lean it way back. The bottom left corner of the display rests against my shin. I find my Model 3 less sculpted and roomier. Far more comfortable. I seriously want a Plaid. Hoping the refreshed interior gets more comfortable.

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and have put 115k miles on my Model S. It took a while and a little tinkering to arrive at a good seating position but now that I've found it I'm quite comfortable. Tilting the seat bottom a fair amount to raise the front and provide enough thigh support was critical for me.

I am 195cm and after my wife has driven car I need to lower seat to drive. I have seat set to maximum low setting for base and slightly tilted back (so rotated, back backrest, tilted up at front for base). it is very comfortable. S 85