Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall Mods - Modifications to the Tesla Roadster for Tall Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 6'6". As most tall drivers have done, I've removed my visors, and exchanged my stock rear view mirror with the Sector 111 Micromirror, which I tinted. Here are a couple more ideas that I've implemented:

Roof Spar
I first tried the simplest approach: I made a heightened roof spar from a strip of aluminum that I cut with a Dremel and bent into shape with some clamps and monkey wrenches.
1.jpg

Custom Seat
But in addition to getting the roof out of my hair I wanted to sit lower so I could have a better view. So I ordered a new seat and cut out the bottom, which lowered me by an inch.
Here's a view toward the front:
2.jpg

And toward the rear:
3.jpg

I also wanted the seat to recline further since the stock position is so upright. So I inserted some aluminum spacers to raise the front of the seat rails, which I then attached with some longer bolts:
Right side (passenger's side?) of driver's seat:
4.jpg

Left side of driver's seat:
5.jpg

I also wanted to be able to hold my head upright without it bouncing against the headrest, and my shoulders to be unslumped, so I inserted some extra padding behind the top center of my seat.
6.jpg

The wonderful guys at the Tesla design center helped with cutting out the carbon fiber roll bar cover so my head wouldn't hit it now that the seat was reclined.
7.jpg

My next post shows my last mod (done just last night).

Accelerator Adjustment

I wanted my right leg to be as stretched as possible when I am driving so I adjusted the accelerator back an inch. Now it barely hits the frame, but I still get maximum acceleration. Three bolts attach the accelerator box (plastic with electronics inside) to the pedal box (sheet metal). I loosened the forward bolt and replaced the two rear M8-1.25x40 bolts with M8-1.25x50's (60's won't fit). I tilted the rear part of the accelerator box down so that I could insert two .5" spacers - one for each rear bolt. In the following photo you can see the bolts from under the hood.
8.jpg

Here you can barely see the one of the spacers from inside the pedal box (inside the passenger compartment). One o'clock is rearward.
81.jpg

And two before, and two after shots:
90.jpg
91.jpg
92.jpg
93.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions. I have extra spacers and bolts for the driver's seat reclination adjustment. Let me know if you would like to try it out. I highly recommend it, even for shorter drivers. I'm in Hermosa Beach (Westwood too) near Los Angeles.

Congratulations on your dedication to making a Roadster work for your height !

I'm 6'2 and can just about shoehorn myself in. But back in December I posted the following roof options, which included a photo of a Gullwing Elise roof - made in a small batch in 2004/5. Apparently these were a very popular idea, but no one actually managed to get around the water leakage problems, including what to do when you open the hatch with a roof covered in rain that then drops into the car. There was also some flex in the 'T' section which could cause the t-bar to crack. I am sure there's a design solution for this, but it will need some investment of time n money.

I also cannot see the top of the speedo, so I made a very compact digital speedo using good old fashioned dot matrix LED displays. I wanted it to be right in line of sight and not off centre, plus have auto dimming etc. It can be positioned between the two main dials without obscuring anything, or neatly fitted in the 'grove' of the binnacle ontop of the dash.

Would love to have this gullwing on a Roadster though …

TeslavsvariousLotusroofs1024.jpg