Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tallahasse International Airport may be Chosen for Tesla Destination Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
The city of Tallahassee had a news release that they would be installing donated Tesla HPWCs at the Tallahassee International Airport and I posted it here.

However, I learned later that this is not a done deal so I have removed the press release.

Sorry for any confusion.

Larry

Last edited:
What is the intended use of the destination chargers at the airport? I can see if you were going to pick someone up and parked. But other than that I can't imagine it would be good etiquette to plug in and fly out. I have this on my mind since we just flew out of Orlando. I thought about plugging in to one of the Chargepoint chargers but we're gone for more than a few days and I didn't think my monopolizing a charger would be appreciated.
What airports really need are large quantities of 110v / 15a plugs in dedicated EV spots.

I agree. It's quite a mismatch between the charging speed and the amount of time a car is usually parked at an airport. It could be useful for someone driving to the airport to pick up a passenger, or someone flying out and back the same day, otherwise I don't get it. I think it's a situation where HPWCs are what Tesla offers so that's what the airport took ("donated charging stations"). If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

What airports really need are large quantities of 110v / 15a plugs in dedicated EV spots.

I agree completely. Most comments seem to advocate high power fast charging. On trips what I most want is overnight plugin, charge rate unimportant. Mostly, Superchargers and to odd CHAdeMO take care of all I need while driving. Overnight or while flying I really want a way to avoid heavy cycling of the 12V. A triple-like level one is perfect for that, and cheap to install in mass. The hotel I am in right now has eight such outlets, quite perfect of that purpose.

I have updated the first posting to indicate that this is not yet a confirmed Tesla Destination Charging location.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

What is the intended use of the destination chargers at the airport? I can see if you were going to pick someone up and parked. But other than that I can't imagine it would be good etiquette to plug in and fly out. I have this on my mind since we just flew out of Orlando. I thought about plugging in to one of the Chargepoint chargers but we're gone for more than a few days and I didn't think my monopolizing a charger would be appreciated.

I agree. It's quite a mismatch between the charging speed and the amount of time a car is usually parked at an airport. It could be useful for someone driving to the airport to pick up a passenger, or someone flying out and back the same day, otherwise I don't get it. I think it's a situation where HPWCs are what Tesla offers so that's what the airport took ("donated charging stations"). If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I agree completely. Most comments seem to advocate high power fast charging. On trips what I most want is overnight plugin, charge rate unimportant. Mostly, Superchargers and to odd CHAdeMO take care of all I need while driving. Overnight or while flying I really want a way to avoid heavy cycling of the 12V. A triple-like level one is perfect for that, and cheap to install in mass. The hotel I am in right now has eight such outlets, quite perfect of that purpose.

First, my apologies for posting the news release prematurely.

I agree with the thrust of your remarks. However, there is one airport application where this makes perfect sense and that is at a cell phone waiting parking lot.

Nevertheless, I don't even know whether Tallahassee International has such a lot.

Larry

Exactly: pick-up and drop-off. It's not necessarily a quick curbside thing. People like to see family off at security, and when picking up you might end up dealing with delays.
Be there an hour and you've just added 50 miles at 72A (assuming future cars will have 72A charging).

And, with time possibly being off the essence, it'd be nice for people to know that they could arrive with low battery and not have to hang around just to get a charge to get them to the Supercharger.

Exactly: pick-up and drop-off. It's not necessarily a quick curbside thing. People like to see family off at security, and when picking up you might end up dealing with delays.
Be there an hour and you've just added 50 miles at 72A (assuming future cars will have 72A charging).

And, with time possibly being off the essence, it'd be nice for people to know that they could arrive with low battery and not have to hang around just to get a charge to get them to the Supercharger.
Yeah, but no one will get to do that because all three HPWCs will be taken up by people who have flown to Disney World for a few days, if that's the only charging available.

It's also a crappy location. Flights in and out of Tallahassee are expensive and limited. Other than folks traveling in from South Florida, my guess is that most people drive to Talahassee. The City would get much more bang for its buck by putting Tesla chargers somewhere downtown. I believe they would get a lot more use from folks driving into Tallahassee.