TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tampa/Miami where to charge ?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by joer00, Mar 24, 2013.

1. joer00

joer00 Member

Hi,

we are planning to drive down to the Dania Beach event in April. I was reading that charging will be limited so we have to plan to have full batteries somewhere else.

Anybody from Tampa going ? Maybe we all drive together ? Any tips on where to charge fastest (Naples ? ) ? It's frustrating that all the public stations are just 30 Ampsand usually NOT 240 volt as announced. I get 204 Volts and 14 miles per hour on my usual chargepoint station in Tampa. I cannot stay 4 hours in Naples :(

Joe

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#2 Larry Chanin, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    Hi Joe,

First, you don't want a group of Model Ss traveling together competing for chargers on the way. Second, the Naples area is a charger wasteland. There are some public chargers in downtown Ft. Myers where you can go to a nearby restaurant to hang out while the car charges. The charging will be slow. Check Recargo for the precise locations. There is a Nissan dealership in Naples, the charging will be slow and I doubt there are any amenities nearby. There is also a KOA campground in the Naples area. You might want to give them a call and see if they will let you charge for a fee.

If you have a charging source where you live, you might consider joining our club charging network. There are a few club members who live in the Naples area who are participating members of the charger sharing network and you may be able to schedule a charge at their homes if it is convenient for them.

Let me know if you wish to join the network.

With regard to the Dania Beach event, as soon as you firm-up your plans, please don't forget to RSVP to me and let me know how many guests you are bringing.

Regards,

Larry

3. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Joe,

I have made the trip from here to Tampa and back twice now, and this weekend a trip of exactly equal distance. It's an additional 12 miles from my house to the Dania Beach facility. If you are willing to do two things, you can make the trip without needing to stop anywhere and have *plenty* of leeway: 1) Take SR-60 through Brandon to US-27 instead of taking I-75, and 2) Keep the cruise control at 60MPH. I have around 50 miles to spare each time I make the trip. Also, I find US-27 much more interesting and scenic than I-75.

Incidentally, if you *are* looking for charging stations, you need to check 3 places (or apps): Plugshare (supposed to have all of the charging stations), Chargepoint (mostly only their own, but it often has some that haven't made it to Plugshare for some reason), and Allstays (only RV parks). People seem to forget about RV parks, but they are everywhere. Disclaimer: I've never been to one. On Allstays, you can filter by 50 Amp service (which means [email protected]). I've attached a screen shot that has this filter enabled, so only shows the ones with 50 Amp service. Plenty in Naples.

cg.jpg

4. Larry Chanin

#4 Larry Chanin, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the very helpful advice.

Joe,

With regard to using campgrounds for a charge, they are likely to provide the fastest charge at close to 30 miles of range per hour. However, for me they are still a big unknown. In doing some preliminary planning I have attempted to contact several RV campgrounds/RV Resorts via email. I have yet to receive a response. Many of the RV locations near Naples are RV Resorts and are exclusive gated communities that may not accommodate electric vehicles.

So it is important to call in advance to clarify the policy regarding electric vehicle charging and the associated fees before firming up your trip plans.

Larry

5. joer00

joer00 Member

Thanks for all the tips. I took the 60 via Winterhaven in the past with my ICE and I think this is the best route as on the east coast there are at least a few charges in case I use more power than expected.

The allstays page is great, I think we Floridians should start stopping by those locations whenever close and report which ones work and especially which ones might be in walking difference to some restaurants/shops.

6. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Joe,
    I made that trip from my house before taking delivery of my S. Distance was 215 miles. Add what, another 30 miles from your house? You should have no problems getting there. My trip to the Kennedy Space Center was 255 miles round trip with 10 miles to spare.

Hwy 60 and 27 are definitely more interesting.

7. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

The Aventura Mall is about 8.5 miles south of the Dania Beach Service Center and has at least one Chargepoint charger available in the parking area right next to Nordstrom. I think it's within the valet area but I'm not sure. Very easy to leave your car there, and hitch a ride with another Model S from there to Dania Beach.

For those who are staying a little longer or venturing further, another option is the 13th Street parking garage in Miami Beach which has been advertising new chargers available, but I'm not sure what their facilities are. I can help find out more detail if anyone needs it.

For the clueless amongst us, what's the "event" at Dania Beach, and when is it?

8. Larry Chanin

Hi Rodolfo,

You should have received an announcement about the meetup scheduled for April 14th at Dania Beach.

You can read the details on the club's private discussion group, or if you wish I can send you another email.

Larry

9. Rodolfo Paiz

Clearly I don't keep up as well as I should. :-D

I'll plan on attending the Dania Beach event. If someone is coming in from out of town and plans to spend more time in Miami beyond the Dania Beach event, one possibility would be to drive straight to my house (just east of Miami International Airport, near the interection of Biscayne Blvd and 45th Street) and leave your car charging while we drive to the event and back in my car. I only have 40A available, so you'd only recover range at about 23-25 mph, but that's still probably 75-100 miles of range recovered overall. And I can only accommodate one car, obviously. :)

10. Larry Chanin

According to Google maps the distance from Joe's home to the Tampa Service Center is 258 miles and that is the shortest route. Even if he gets to the center without a charge on the way, its not definite that a High Power Wall Connector will be available at the service center. That would mean waiting at least 4 and at worst more than 9 hours of charging. That might require taking a cab to stay at a nearby hotel overnight.

Admittedly I'm more conservative in my approaches to these long-distance trips, and I don't have the temperment, nor does Mary Ellen, to plan on a trip within 10 miles of the rated range. I think that Joe needs to find an appropriate location along the route to stop and charge on the way down before arriving at the service center. Perhaps an accommodating RV park would be the solution. He may have to also plan to stay overnight there on the way back. The arrangement with the RV park is something that needs to be worked out in advance.

Larry

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tampa SC has plenty of 14-50 outlets but I believe it only has one Clipper Creek HP charger, so it's always good advice to check beforehand that no-one else is using it.

12. Larry Chanin

Very sound advice. The last time I was at Dania Beach they had a Roadster Clipper Creek High Power Connector and an adapter cable for the Model S. However, Graham told me he had to provide that adapter to a customer with a Roadster HPC. Things may have changed like getting another adapter or getting a Model S HPWC, but there's also a good chance that someone arriving at Dania on a low charge would require about 9 hours to top-off.

Larry

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I think that all the Model S HPWCs have been going out to the backlogged orders - customers got priority over the Tesla stores/SCs. However, if you have your UMC and the store has a spare NEMA 14-50 outlet you're OK, but it is going to be >7.5 hrs from low mileage to a full range charge (~6.5-7.0 for a standard charge depending how low you start).

14. Larry Chanin

#14 Larry Chanin, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    I checked with Graham, currently the service center does not have a High Power Wall Connector available for Model Ss or a cable adapter for the existing Roadster HPC. If Joe attempts to make it to the service center on a single charge (258 miles from his home) he will be close to empty when he arrives. He will need a maximum charge to get there and a maximum charge to return. If the NEMA 14-50s provide charging rates at 30 mph it will take about 8.6 hours to replace those 258 miles assuming he achieved rated mileage on the way down. The point I want to emphasize to him is that no matter how we calculate this, 7.5 or 8.6 hours, if he attempts to get to Dania on a single charge and return on a single charge he will probably have to leave his car at the service center overnight in order to achieve a maximum charge.

Our event is planned to start at 1:00 PM and end at about 4:00 PM. So if we split the difference and assume at least 8 hours of charging is required, he would have to arrive at Dania at 7:00AM to assure that he had a maximum charge when the event was over. It takes over 4 hours to take this route from his home when travelling at the speed limit. So he would have to leave home before 3:00 AM to arrive at Dania at 7:00 AM.

Trying to do this on a single charge is not an approach I would be comfortable with. If I could convince my wife I would try to stay at a suitable RV park with cabins and charge overnight, or if Graham agreed I would leave the car at the service center overnight and stay at a nearby hotel.

Larry

15. Rodolfo Paiz

#15 Rodolfo Paiz, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Joe, is an overnight stay a "fringe benefit" for you, or an inconvenience, or a dealbreaker? If you'd prefer not to stay, just how hard do you want to work to avoid doing so? And how early would you like to leave Tampa on the way here?

Here's a couple more thoughts:

First, timing is important. The service center is not officially open on Sunday, so I wouldn't count on getting access to it either before or after our event unless by prior arrangement with Graham. And it opens on Monday morning at 10am (Tesla's website erroneously says 9am), so an early-morning departure is more difficult.

If you really, really want to avoid staying overnight, and (for example) you want to leave Tampa at 7:00am, then I would suggest driving directly to someplace "interesting" like the Aventura Mall. You'd arrive at around 11:30 and the car could begin charging while you go inside and have great coffee at The Coffee Bean. I could swing by and pick you up on the way to Dania and drop you off on the way back. Your car would be done charging at around 8:00pm, and you'd be home at around 1:00am.

I strongly recommend that you plan on staying overnight, and leave Tampa on Saturday afternoon to enjoy a late dinner and some fun on Miami Beach or Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. That also allows you to plan for a 30- to 60-minute stop somewhere to charge on the way here, so you have a little range cushion and don't suffer from range anxiety along the way. Charge overnight at the hotel or somewhere nearby, top off at Dania Beach, and head home in a well-rested fashion. Trying to do the whole enchilada in a quick one-day trip means an 18-hour day at least, with 8-9 hours spent driving. That screams "fatigue" and "driver error" to me. I damn near killed myself back in 1990 that way on the New Jersey Turnpike... let's just say I don't recommend the experience. :)

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yeh, I wasn't disagreeing with your calculations but merely trying to look at the best case scenario which IMO still means an overnight stay.

17. Larry Chanin

I was pretty sure that we were in agreement, but I wanted to elaborate on your remark "...the store has a spare NEMA 14-50 outlet you're OK,..". We agree he's OK if he plans on an overnight stay.

Larry

18. aviators99

Did you move Google Map's default route over to taking 60 => 27? It did not offer me that as an option, but when I moved it manually, it was substantially fewer miles. If you want to e-mail his address, I can see what I get for mileage.

19. Larry Chanin

Ron,

Yes, Google offerred three routes including the 60 to 27 which was the shortest.

Thanks for the offer, but it is not my practice to release member's addresses even to other members. If Joe is following this thread he can do so via a private message to you.

I'm pretty sure that 258 miles is a very reasonable estimate of the distance. As I see it the issue is not whether with the proper route can Joe make it on a single charge, the issue is how long is he prepared to wait for a recharge.

Larry

20. aviators99

Yes, I agree. Since you checked the 60->27 and it's 258, I would not recommend attempting on a single charge...unless he's willing to go 55mph the whole way...too slow for me. I would probably go down 75 and take advantage of the Florida TEG member's HPC in Naples.