Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tampa to Boston Road Trip... advice, tips, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My goal is to make it to Rocky Mount the first day before stopping for the night, so we'll see. We might just do that.

I can't test the CHAdeMo after Cars & Coffee, can't miss my gym time. If it comes before Friday night, you available to do dinner downtown and then test Friday? I know Jim would be thrilled to have a Cuban at Reno Downtown! And I'll just be wrapping up my 21 day cleanse, so I'll need to undo all that work.

I travel from Middletown, DE to Cape Canaveral often and would suggest using Maryland 301 after a stop at Glen Allen. MD 301 is a wonderful drive without all of the I-95 traffic. You can reach Newark without much trouble but if you feel uncomfortable with the distance, you can route through Woodbridge to top up and still catch 301. 301 turns into DE RT 896 that connects to I-95 just North of the MD/DE toll gate.

I travel from Middletown, DE to Cape Canaveral often and would suggest using Maryland 301 after a stop at Glen Allen. MD 301 is a wonderful drive without all of the I-95 traffic. You can reach Newark without much trouble but if you feel uncomfortable with the distance, you can route through Woodbridge to top up and still catch 301. 301 turns into DE RT 896 that connects to I-95 just North of the MD/DE toll gate.

That's a great tip!

I suggest taking 301 well before Woodbridge. You really want to avoid the traffic from south of Fredericksburg to the Beltway. I usually jump back on 95 in Baltimore but if it's a particularly bad weekend traffic day will cross the Bay Bridge and come into Newark from the south as noted by delanman

Fantastic, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I suggest taking 301 well before Woodbridge. You really want to avoid the traffic from south of Fredericksburg to the Beltway. I usually jump back on 95 in Baltimore but if it's a particularly bad weekend traffic day will cross the Bay Bridge and come into Newark from the south as noted by delanman
thank you, this is the stuff I was looking to get from my fellow TMC members. Love it

Mimi's opens at 7, so sleep an extra hour and leave at 5.

We can test the CHAdeMO at USF St. Pete - it's free.

Oooh!!!! Where is the CHAdeMO at USF St. Pete? I just work down the block from there.

Passed on the CHAdeMO adapter when my turn came up. May rethink now.

Oh, and don't forget to catch a game at Fenway when up there. Go Sox!!!

Also, when I lived in Boston and often drove to NY, I always took the Merritt Parkway to 91N then through Hartford to the Mass Pike. Certainly a much prettier drive and less traffic than on I-95.

You could charge at the Greenwich supercharger, then head up to the West Hartford one. Fairly direct route, and IMHO much nicer. And faster.

Last edited:
Another option is to avoid DC all together and go through Norfolk, VA (there is a ChAdEmO adapter downtown) and go across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and go through the Salisbury, MD supercharger.

If you decide to take the scenic Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and want to push another 145 miles past Rocky Mount on your first nights stay and land in Williamsburg, you are welcome to my HPWC (provided I am not in FL) for a range charge and I can shuttle ya'll to/from hotel. I am 174 flat miles (just averaged 262wh/mi to the Salisbury/OC shindig on 21’s on this stretch) from the Salisbury super. Also, we had Kingmill Resort in Williamsburg install (5) 14-50's 2 years ago for overnight guests that you might also consider. Btw, I have tools, jacks, donut spares, and compressed air if needed. Have fun!

Trying to keep it a secret?
I replied by PM, but thank you for telling the rest of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

If you decide to take the scenic Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and want to push another 145 miles past Rocky Mount on your first nights stay and land in Williamsburg, you are welcome to my HPWC (provided I am not in FL) for a range charge and I can shuttle ya'll to/from hotel. I am 174 flat miles (just averaged 262wh/mi to the Salisbury/OC shindig on 21’s on this stretch) from the Salisbury super. Also, we had Kingmill Resort in Williamsburg install (5) 14-50's 2 years ago for overnight guests that you might also consider. Btw, I have tools, jacks, donut spares, and compressed air if needed. Have fun!
Awesome, thanks! I doubt we'll get past Rocky Point on day one, I might not give up any of the driving!

Oh, awesome! Have a safe and fantastic trip. I love the keys. If you have kids (or not, still fantastic place to spend a couple of hours), stop at Butterfly World in Coconut Creek. It's right off of 95, and is simply amazing. They have more than just an incredible butterfly enclosure (think mini rain forest, really). They also have an area for all kinds of hummingbirds from around the world. One of my favorite places ever to visit.

bh

What supers did u hit?
Any overcrowding issues in Newark, DE?
How far did you get on your first day?
Are your tires properly inflated for the hot FL road surfaces?

Brtfly

Cant wait to see Butterfly World later this year (my avatar)! Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Day 1(night only)
East Greenwich CT
Day 2
Edison
Newark (no over crowding issues but we were there early Saturday am. One spot was open after we plugged in)
Woodbridge
Glen Allen
Rocky Mountain

Tell me more about the fires - what needs to be done? :D

I Still maintain that Newark DE should be avoided.