Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tan interior pillars on black seats/decor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guessing that the only way to make Tesla add a black headliner as an option is to somehow lobby them to do so. If everyone that would prefer a black headliner also wrote Tesla and told them, then maybe it would be available as an option by now. I’m no expert on mass production, but it seems like probably the easiest option of all that they could ad…

On my black-interior P85, the tan pillar color also struck me the same way. On my black-interior Mercedes S550, the pillars between its doors are black while its headliner and windshield pillars are tan.

The S550 black center pillars look much better especially against the black retracted shoulder belts. Looking at both cars in my garage side-by-side it's obvious the P85 would look better that way.

Another difference in details that struck me were the lack of front seat storage compartments that the Mercedes has - sunglasses, umbrella, first-aid kit, door pockets, double-deck armrest compartments.

I've had several Mercedes and their experience and continuing improvement with all these little aesthetic and "creature comfort" details are subtle but appreciated as you spend more time in the car. In the end, the overall technology of Tesla trumps all these details, but Mercedes does deserve credit for "sweating the details" and Tesla would be well-advised to take notice of this little stuff.

On my black-interior P85, the tan pillar color also struck me the same way. On my black-interior Mercedes S550, the pillars between its doors are black while its headliner and windshield pillars are tan.

The S550 black center pillars look much better especially against the black retracted shoulder belts. Looking at both cars in my garage side-by-side it's obvious the P85 would look better that way.

Another difference in details that struck me were the lack of front seat storage compartments that the Mercedes has - sunglasses, umbrella, first-aid kit, door pockets, double-deck armrest compartments.

I've had several Mercedes and their experience and continuing improvement with all these little aesthetic and "creature comfort" details are subtle but appreciated as you spend more time in the car. In the end, the overall technology of Tesla trumps all these details, but Mercedes does deserve credit for "sweating the details" and Tesla would be well-advised to take notice of this little stuff.

Would you mind posting a picture of your Mercedes? Nothing we can do about our current cars, but maybe we can lobby for the future.

I bet the tan headliner makes the car feel a lot more open. It has a pretty small greenhouse for such a large car due to the steeply raked roofline, so it can use all the "openness" it can get. It's a little odd, but it seems to work OK. My only worry is that given I drive with the windows open so often that it'll start to look dirty.

Would you mind posting a picture of your Mercedes? Nothing we can do about our current cars, but maybe we can lobby for the future.
Mercedes S550 =
IMG_0359 400x300.jpg
Tesla =
IMG_0360 400x300.jpg

This is obviously a minor detail, but when going back and forth between the two cars, the Tesla's tan pillars, being in the driver's field-of-view, are distracting compared to the Mercedes.