Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tan vs. Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! I'm absolutely torn on whether I should get a Black interior or Tan interior with my car. The car is a red P85 with grey wheels, and I do like the way that the red trim on the black interior matches the exterior paint. However, I am in AZ and have to park outdoors, so I don't want it to get too hot. Please give me any input you guys may have!

I got the black, and am in Virginia. Put some ceramic tint on the side/rear windows (~$250-400 depending on quality) and you should be fine. Pretty sure the windshield already has a UV coating--and the pano roof doesn't get hot at all.

I'm happy with the black.

Thanks guys! I think I'll be going with the black interior with red accents.

I posted the same question in these forums:
Tan vs Black? : teslamotors
Tan vs. Black | Forums | Tesla Motors

The general consensus was to go with the black since the tesla app can sufficiently cool the car to the point where the heat is insufficient. Tinting the windows would help with that too. Order gets sent to the factory on the 30th; all I have to do now is wait!

I have tan leather and it looks very nice. However, the downsides are it is easy to get dirty and if you wear jeans a lot, the seats will get blue jean color transfer if you don't clean and seal it every year. I wear jeans daily and my driver seat was stained after 3 months. I had it cleaned and sealed and now they are fine.

I live in FL and have had black leather in every car I've owned in the last 20 years. Tint your windows like Todd suggests and it will be fine. I can't imagine passing up that black with red piping for the red - that will look awesome.

Hey guys! I'm absolutely torn on whether I should get a Black interior or Tan interior with my car.

I was leaning heavily towards black until I saw a tan interior in person and liked it. I ended up pulling the trigger on tan and think my car's tan interior is a bit lighter than the test drive cars I saw (I would have preferred it a bit darker). I'm not unhappy with the tan, but think I probably would have liked black equally well.

If you we're getting the silver wheels, I'd say tan, but with the gray wheels, you've gotta go black interior. It will look commanding.

FYI I'm getting black exterior, but with tan interior (and the 21 silvers). It is tempting to get black interior with this combo, and certainly would if I had the gray wheels, but I like the contrast and more open feeling that comes from a lighter interior.

Heating isn't an issue with the phone app to pre-cool if needed.

They will both look great. Heat is not a factor with black, so don't let that be dispositive. Tan will show more stains, but treat the leather and don't stain it ;).

In the end, admit to yourself that it's personal preference and go with your gut. You will win regardless.

I went with the black exterior and tan interior and absolutely love it. I have two friends with black exterior/interior combos on their Lexus and MB respectively and both love the combo on the Model S. It gives the already spacious interior a more spacious look along with adding brightness and light. I couldn't be happier.

what trim would you guys recommend for a non-perf 85 with the black interior? For the performance model, I think carbon fiber is the obvious option. But for non performance, I a thinking about just sticking with piano black.

Suggestions welcome.

what trim would you guys recommend for a non-perf 85 with the black interior? For the performance model, I think carbon fiber is the obvious option. But for non performance, I a thinking about just sticking with piano black.

Suggestions welcome.

The Matte Obeche is my personal favorite with the black interior. I have the lacewood with the tan and love it! It seems the lacewood is not a very popular choice but it is really nice.

One note about tint. I have a friend that was in an accident where there were injuries. Since he had tinted side passenger and driver windows which is illegal in California, his fines were huge as he was found "negligent". I think it was in the tens of thousands. In California I would be hesitant to tint front side windows. The risks to bike riders and pedestrians are high and the courts will nail you.