Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 476036 Don’t know if it works

The car will automatically check for updates when you go to the software tab. So it is just a lucky coincidence if it worked. The user just happened to tap the "advanced" button at the same time as the car was already checking and there happened to be a new update ready. The "hack" did not force the update. He would have gotten the update anyway at that same moment without tapping the "advanced" button.

1. Have car connected to WIFI
2. Go to software and make sure advanced is selected.
3. Tap advanced 5 times. Wait about 10 seconds and car will search for updates.
4. Within 5 minutes you should have an alert to update to 2019.36.2.1

Sorry for bad video. It worked after about 10 seconds and I killed the video prior to showing it actually worked.

Enjoy.

it checks for an update when you hit software. It just so happens tesla pushed the update out last night. Nothing to see here.

I agree. I'm still convinced that with the massive roll-out yesterday of 36.2.1 that all this is coincidental with selecting "advanced". Why do I believe this? Well last night after reading a good number of posts of uploads, I went out to the garage, climbed into the Tesla, turned the car on and.. crickets.. even played a couple rounds of beach buggy... still nothing... BUT, within a couple of minutes after I turned the advanced setting on, it began the download.

A friend of mine showed me that if you press the advance button five times it automatically starts searching for the latest update ... and it worked!!!

Attachments

• B8D7E0CB-8578-4759-AF77-DB57B5B31015.jpeg
    B8D7E0CB-8578-4759-AF77-DB57B5B31015.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 280
I’m not sure if pushing update 5 times is what causes it. Just going to the software screen triggers it to check for an update. Just went to my car that has been sleeping all night, went to the software menu screen, it said checking for updates and then said update available! BTW the past couple days I’ve been doing that... but always got “software up to date”

this confirms what I was saying. As soon as he hits software...you can see it saying “checking for software”. Hitting the update button does nothing...because it’s still checking...which does take some time. You can hit it once..or 20 times...while it’s still “checking”. Outcome will still be the same. Either tesla has flagged you for the update or they haven’t. All just coincidence...looks like tesla is opening the floodgates for the update.
Hitting the software button...just initiatives the check instead of waiting for whenever the car automatically does it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce and SigNC
this confirms what I was saying. As soon as he hits software...you can see it saying “checking for software”. Hitting the update button does nothing...because it’s still checking...which does take some time. You can hit it once..or 20 times...while it’s still “checking”. Outcome will still be the same. Either tesla has flagged you for the update or they haven’t. All just coincidence...looks like tesla is opening the floodgates for the update.
Hitting the software button...just initiatives the check instead of waiting for whenever the car automatically does it.

How dare you be smug and negative! :p Don't you know that superstition and misinformation are sacred cows that you can't point out the flaws in!

I heard that if you hit it 45 times in 30 seconds, you get early access software

How dare you be smug and negative! :p Don't you know that superstition and misinformation are sacred cows that you can't point out the flaws in!

Sorry your feelings got an ouchie, Occar. I don't think anyone here has an issue with anyone disproving something, but IMHO it can and should be done without a sarcastic and insulting tone to the OP.