Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

diplomat33

Aug 3, 2017
Terre Haute, IN USA
View attachment 476036 Don’t know if it works

The car will automatically check for updates when you go to the software tab. So it is just a lucky coincidence if it worked. The user just happened to tap the "advanced" button at the same time as the car was already checking and there happened to be a new update ready. The "hack" did not force the update. He would have gotten the update anyway at that same moment without tapping the "advanced" button.

Schroeder0202

2019 Stealth/White/Black/20 inch Tsportline
May 8, 2019
IL
1. Have car connected to WIFI
2. Go to software and make sure advanced is selected.
3. Tap advanced 5 times. Wait about 10 seconds and car will search for updates.
4. Within 5 minutes you should have an alert to update to 2019.36.2.1

Sorry for bad video. It worked after about 10 seconds and I killed the video prior to showing it actually worked.

Enjoy.

St☰v☰

Aug 27, 2019
SoCal/Texas
it checks for an update when you hit software. It just so happens tesla pushed the update out last night. Nothing to see here.

I agree. I'm still convinced that with the massive roll-out yesterday of 36.2.1 that all this is coincidental with selecting "advanced". Why do I believe this? Well last night after reading a good number of posts of uploads, I went out to the garage, climbed into the Tesla, turned the car on and.. crickets.. even played a couple rounds of beach buggy... still nothing... BUT, within a couple of minutes after I turned the advanced setting on, it began the download.

FlashEV0625

May 11, 2019
Pompano beach fl
A friend of mine showed me that if you press the advance button five times it automatically starts searching for the latest update ... and it worked!!!

Attachments

• B8D7E0CB-8578-4759-AF77-DB57B5B31015.jpeg
    B8D7E0CB-8578-4759-AF77-DB57B5B31015.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 77

N54TT

Aug 14, 2018
NY
I’m not sure if pushing update 5 times is what causes it. Just going to the software screen triggers it to check for an update. Just went to my car that has been sleeping all night, went to the software menu screen, it said checking for updates and then said update available! BTW the past couple days I’ve been doing that... but always got “software up to date”

this confirms what I was saying. As soon as he hits software...you can see it saying “checking for software”. Hitting the update button does nothing...because it’s still checking...which does take some time. You can hit it once..or 20 times...while it’s still “checking”. Outcome will still be the same. Either tesla has flagged you for the update or they haven’t. All just coincidence...looks like tesla is opening the floodgates for the update.
Hitting the software button...just initiatives the check instead of waiting for whenever the car automatically does it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce and SigNC

Occar

Jun 20, 2019
TN
this confirms what I was saying. As soon as he hits software...you can see it saying “checking for software”. Hitting the update button does nothing...because it’s still checking...which does take some time. You can hit it once..or 20 times...while it’s still “checking”. Outcome will still be the same. Either tesla has flagged you for the update or they haven’t. All just coincidence...looks like tesla is opening the floodgates for the update.
Hitting the software button...just initiatives the check instead of waiting for whenever the car automatically does it.

How dare you be smug and negative! :p Don't you know that superstition and misinformation are sacred cows that you can't point out the flaws in!

N54TT

Aug 14, 2018
NY
How dare you be smug and negative! :p Don't you know that superstition and misinformation are sacred cows that you can't point out the flaws in!

I’m fine with superstition. I heard walking around the car 5 times will force the update :p. But I can’t stand misinformation lol.

Reactions: Occar

FlashEV0625

May 11, 2019
Pompano beach fl
So many jerks on this site, I posted something so maybe someone that didn’t receive the update yet could try it out. So for trying to help out the group
Don’t let them get to you bro! Sometimes I’ll post something to help out also and you get these jerks think they know everything acting real nasty towards people!

Reactions: Shemp

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA

I heard that if you hit it 45 times in 30 seconds, you get early access software

Shemp

Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2019
Detroit

Sorry your feelings got an ouchie, Occar. I don't think anyone here has an issue with anyone disproving something, but IMHO it can and should be done without a sarcastic and insulting tone to the OP.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC