Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More proof this button is just so people feel like they're doing something lol. If it gets them to stop bugging Tesla for updates, good!
If more people would just realize this. I’m all down for bettering everyone’s experience. However this is one of those things that just doesn’t work. People nowadays just don’t pay attention. But either way love the channel and like how you show true stuff. Have a good one bro.

• Love
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Not all of them, just the ones spreading the same piece of misinformation. Opening the Software screen triggers a software update check. This, in turn, triggers a software update if, and only if, your VIN is flagged for one. Pushing, moving, or holding the update slider is irrelevant.
This is correct! And my uncle works for Tesla in Cali! And he totally laughed when he saw this flowing around out there. He said well” if it makes them feel better go for it” but explained the software updates goes out in batches which are randomly selected. Of course this is after the early access. Once it’s cleared they started to push it to the fleet in a wide push. The software tab was updated. So now the car can check for update to trigger a check you just need to open the software page. The car checks for a software update each time it awakes from sleep and or if Tesla pings the car. And he stated..... the ONLY WAY TO FORCE A UPDATE is by the service center pushing it to your car. And in that case you get whatever the most current software for your cars configuration at that time. The standard and advance software is only to notify Tesla that you’re ok with getting software whenever TESLA thinks this is ok for the fleet. Standard is for the most stable release. Switch from standard to advance will change the software choice for your preferences on Tesla side and they will push it seeing you are ok with software update that are earlier. It’s not a major difference as in most of time the difference will be about one to two days when it hits the major wide roll out.
Software is based on:
Car configuration
Region
FSD
most importantly: your VIN being flagged.

I love how the forums help so many people. That’s what they’re here for. I just wish sometimes and I mean sometimes people would think just a little more or look closer at what’s happening. If you have iPhone when the update is release you don’t see people pushing update 5x or holding it or whatever. It just checks and it downloads it because it checked your software vs the new one. Seeing you don’t have that they update you. Tesla hit the big push at 3:30pm 3 days ago. That’s when loads of people vins were flagged.
However from a birdie. Tesla is working on transitioning to a more “Apple” structured update roll out. Vs vin flags and other stuff just takes time to develop.

hope everyone’s is enjoying their new software. Just remember you just have to open the software page and it will check for a software update it takes about 10-15 second to check and get back the update or not. Have a good one.

Interesting - MX 75D MCU1/AP2.5 EAP - currently on 2019.32.12.7
Tried the above hack and nothing happened. From TeslaFi firmware stats, It seems like there are two independent pushes happening now:
2019.36.2.1​

I wonder if both are considered to be the latest patches depending on model/configuration?
I got 2019.32.12.8

I got 2019.32.12.8
Seems to be with this last round that they are starting to branch a little. Hopefully with 36.2.2 it merges everyone. But please don’t go out and tap 5x on it. Same yourself the questioning. It doesn’t work. Just open the software page and it will check ( it tells you on the screen it’s checking) if it’s something new out for your car configuration then it will download. Don’t worry if you have FSD you should get the Hw swap soon

just to validate I checked my wifi to see if there was a difference in network behavior between just opening the software screen and feverishly tapping the advanced button.
Guess what?
There is no difference.
What a surprise (that's a joke, for those who are unable to detect sarcasm)

Seems to be with this last round that they are starting to branch a little. Hopefully with 36.2.2 it merges everyone. But please don’t go out and tap 5x on it. Same yourself the questioning. It doesn’t work. Just open the software page and it will check ( it tells you on the screen it’s checking) if it’s something new out for your car configuration then it will download. Don’t worry if you have FSD you should get the Hw swap soon

.8 is some super special "battery monitoring" version for some cars.