Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went out and did this and it worked. P3-. Downloading 2019.36.2.1. Will try it on my wife’s car when she gets home. Thx for the tip.

And to be clear. The only way I got it to start was doing what OP suggested.

B68405BA-FE5B-4DB0-B73F-3F6657AEEE4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tres_Azul
I checked this morning, and it said it was available... I didn't have time to wait though, so I'll have to do it tonight. I'm glad to know about this hack though, I had been checking twice for the last week or so since I heard about the update. I'll try this next time. Thanks for the tip!

Or, you know, this post has people doing the thing that manually initiates a check, and this update is finally rolling out en masse per teslafi... Nah, couldn't be that. It must be this "trick" :rolleyes:

That would be assuming no one in this thread had opened it to “manually initiate a check”. I only have 2 M3 but can assure you I’ve attempted manual check multiple times including last night.

But I’m sure you could have got my car to update. Next time I’ll reach out.

• Funny
Reactions: GoldenBasis
Or, you know, this post has people doing the thing that manually initiates a check, and this update is finally rolling out en masse per teslafi... Nah, couldn't be that. It must be this "trick" :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people have to be smug and negative here. Maybe this hack works, maybe it doesn't, but I'm glad people post this stuff because it is potentially helpful to us Tesla owners. If people are afraid of getting flamed for posting something maybe they won't, and then what's the point of this forum?

Reactions: freed0m
So, on twitter, they confirm all this does is check for the update. If your car is set to get it, then you get it. The original post looks like it's some magic to get you the update when you weren't already slated to get it.

The automatic process your car has to check when you are ready to get (showing you the download arrow if not on wifi) or download it if on wifi is probably every couple of hours. This probably bypasses that. Cool, but not exactly groundbreaking. It's like the triple tap to bypass the 2:00 minute timer to start an update in the car immediately.

Sorry for the confusion, but the OP sounded like you get it now now now no matter what. :)

Both my cars got it in the last three days, with the 3 getting it last night, when most of them did.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I wish the Hold Regen could be turned off for reverse and in your garage. The way I pull into my garage I can coast slowly until I hit the curb. Now I can’t go at the same speed because the car keeps trying to stop. Hopefully they can add an update like sentry mode where you can turn it off.

My battery was at 90% and normally regen is reduced. It feels much stronger now with hold. Will be curious when I get into the 80%.

I played with the speed a little including on to the freeway. It feels faster. Especially over 50.

My wife came home. I only opened the screen to see if auto update would start on hers. I waited 15 min and it didn’t start or find anything. Then I did what OP said. It’s downloading now.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus