Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such thing called “force update” on the user-end.

The update is being decided by the mothership. So if Tesla rolls it out for your configuration combination - you will be able to update. The new software has an update notification so even you are not on the wifi, you would know there is an update.

But sometimes, the update daemon hangs somewhere and doesn’t do his job. So tapping, clicking, or reboot your car will make it back.

It does not work for me.

The update is checked for every time you switch to the software page from any other page. I think it's it ready for your VIN you'll get it when it checks, if not it will just say your software is up to date, no matter how many times you press advanced or switch to and from the software page.

We tried it on one S so far (currently on 32.12.7) and it didn't work. I'll try it on the other S this afternoon to see if it has any better luck.

Like you, I've noticed the check that is performed whenever going to the Software page.

Let's take all the threads of this forum and merge them in 1 big one ! That will solve everything !
Not all of them, just the ones spreading the same piece of misinformation. Opening the Software screen triggers a software update check. This, in turn, triggers a software update if, and only if, your VIN is flagged for one. Pushing, moving, or holding the update slider is irrelevant.

Reactions: focher and Tholland
If you'd gone to the software screen without tapping anything, and update still would have shown up (or if you'd have waited for the next automatic check). The software is in a wide roll-out.
Why would you disagree with my post?

I was on WiFi last night, even toggled it on/off, went to the software page, and nothing. I just walked out and tried this and it worked.

Here I even took a video.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra

I was on WiFi last night, even toggled it on/off, went to the software page, and nothing. I just walked out and tried this and it worked.

Your car was in the process of running an update check when you placed your finger on the button. You did not let the check finish first - when it finishes, it either displays a message saying your car is up-to-date or notifies you that an update is available. Your would have had the same result without touching the screen at all if you were to let the check finish.

Reactions: focher and Runt8

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia

8TtZ6jx.png

Just went to the software tab on my M3, it then said checking for updates, then after about 30 sec it started to download it, nothing to press, thanks for the thread,
I think what's confusing people is the longer-than-usual update check times. When the VIN is not flagged for an update, the car goes from "checking for updates" to "your software is up-to-date" in a couple of seconds. The fact that status messages for update checks are new as of V10 is also not helping.

1. Have car connected to WIFI
2. Go to software and make sure advanced is selected.
3. Tap advanced 5 times. Wait about 10 seconds and car will search for updates.
4. Within 5 minutes you should have an alert to update to 2019.36.2.1

Sorry for bad video. It worked after about 10 seconds and I killed the video prior to showing it actually worked.

Enjoy.

You are not forcing the update. You are just tapping the advanced button at the same time as the car happens to be checking for an update. So if you happen to have an update ready, it will appear that you forced it but you did not. If there is no update ready, this method will not force the update.