Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went to the software tab on my M3, it then said checking for updates, then after about 30 sec it started to download it, nothing to press, thanks for the thread,

Yep, you checked for an update, had one available, and it started downloading. The car itself also periodically checks as well and would have eventually notified you. All this hokum about pressing anything is just fooling people into thinking they're actually doing something at all other than just causing an update check (which happens any time you go to the software screen) when one was ready for them so it starts to download.

Reactions: diplomat33
It is also worth noting that Tesla is currently pushing 2019.36.2.1 out pretty hard to the fleet. Over 3,000 cars on Teslafi got the update just in the last 2 days. So odds are very high that if you still don't have it and you check your software tab now, you will get it. You would get it no matter what. Tapping it 5 times is not forcing it. It just looks like you are forcing it because Tesla is pushing out the update right now.

Reactions: MXWing
When the VIN is not flagged for an update, the car goes from "checking for updates" to "your software is up-to-date" in a couple of seconds.
This video is interesting (to me) because it appears to show that he was not getting what ilyak describes. Instead, TyH2009 (1) was getting a "very slow" (perhaps hung) user experience and (2) seems to have nudged the firmware to get past whatever it was stalled on.

As such, it seems that interacting with that UI has an impact on the user experience even if the slider is already set to Advanced. Either that or TyH just has incredible timing that he happened to tap it exactly when the slow/stalled thread/process was going to move forward on its own.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and TyH2009
I would wager this is how it actually works:

1.) You go to the software tab.
2.) Going into the software tab initiates a check with Tesla to compare your version to the versions available for downloading to your VIN/Serial group. Secondary check when to 'release' version is if advanced is toggled.
3.) If software is released it starts downloading. If it's not released, it considers your current version as 'current'.

Since steps 2 and 3 is a background process not displayed in the UI, tapping the screen is just a placebo. Though its even a stretch to have to explain this as the UI clearly states Checking for update..

Reactions: Tholland
In case anyone else is uncertain, this is the software screen in the car, not the nonexistent one in the phone app. :)

I navigated to this screen (for the first time), changed the update setting from Standard to Advanced, and then clicked Advanced 5 times. The download then started immediately.

There are four possible explanations for the download starting, of course. :)

I sure wish I'd waited a few minutes between each of these steps, before doing the clicking. Hopefully someone else will be more rigorous with this experiment!

Last edited:
This video is interesting (to me) because it appears to show that he was not getting what ilyak describes. Instead, TyH2009 (1) was getting a "very slow" (perhaps hung) user experience and (2) seems to have nudged the firmware to get past whatever it was stalled on.

As such, it seems that interacting with that UI has an impact on the user experience even if the slider is already set to Advanced. Either that or TyH just has incredible timing that he happened to tap it exactly when the slow/stalled thread/process was going to move forward on its own.
Thank you!

Finally someone who gets it.

Reactions: duanra
(2) seems to have nudged the firmware to get past whatever it was stalled on.

I’m curious about what you’re basing this conclusion on - anything besides the order of events over time? On a side note, the amount of time that passes between the start of the check and the update download notification looks to be pretty average - it takes between a couple seconds and almost a minute in my car depending on the connection I’m on, and it’s on the slower side during wide roll-outs like yesterday and today.

For the
I would wager this is how it actually works:

1.) You go to the software tab.
2.) Going into the software tab initiates a check with Tesla to compare your version to the versions available for downloading to your VIN/Serial group. Secondary check when to 'release' version is if advanced is toggled.
3.) If software is released it starts downloading. If it's not released, it considers your current version as 'current'.

Since steps 2 and 3 is a background process not displayed in the UI, tapping the screen is just a placebo. Though its even a stretch to have to explain this as the UI clearly states Checking for update..

Obviously the people that couldnt it to work were missing a very imporant step:

Click your heels three times while repeating "there is no one like Elon" while spamming the advanced button.

• Funny
Reactions: plumazul
We tried it on one S so far (currently on 32.12.7) and it didn't work. I'll try it on the other S this afternoon to see if it has any better luck.

Like you, I've noticed the check that is performed whenever going to the Software page.
I tried it on a second car and confirmed it had no effect. 100% failure rate on this "pro tip".

Reactions: Obsoletion
So I went to my M3 after work to try out this tip. As soon as I open the Software screen, it said I have new software to download. Darn, I can't try it! But wait.. I have a MX waiting at home! So I got home, the M3 started downloading. I went to my MX, open up Software screen. Waited for a min or so and it said my software is up to date. I tap it 5 times kind of fast.... nothing happened. Tap Adv 5 more times slower. Nothing happened. Try different things... nothing happened. So I gave up.

Does it really work on M3? I don't know. But I know for certain that it does not work on MX AP2.5 with MCU1! :p