Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap the card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently (last two months or so) my car keeps insisting that I 'Tap the Card' to drive. My phone is connected by Bluetooth and it listed in the registered keys list. Although I always carry my card this is getting annoying. Car is currently on 2022.16.3 but this started prior to the most recent update. Used to work perfectly with Bluetooth with many months between asking to tap the card. Any ideas? Ta.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Recently (last two months or so) my car keeps insisting that I 'Tap the Card' to drive. My phone is connected by Bluetooth and it listed in the registered keys list. Although I always carry my card this is getting annoying. Car is currently on 2022.16.3 but this started prior to the most recent update. Used to work perfectly with Bluetooth with many months between asking to tap the card. Any ideas? Ta.
how are you getting into the car? are you using automated unlock with your phone as the key and is that working OK. but then once you are in the car is still asking for authentication?
What sort of phone is it?

What phone? Is the Tesla app allowed to run in the background (on Android)?

I would say it's more likely to be a phone thing than anything else.
I would agree if the issue was not being able to get into the car but if the phone has already unlocked the doors automatically then that suggests the app is running just fine in the background

Same issue here, it happens randomly.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (dorsn't seem to matter, it happened before with an LG Q6, too)
Current Software 2022.16.3 (doesn't matter either, it's randomly happened since I got the car)
Audio via bluetooth is usually playing but the car still insists there is no phone key.
It can happen in my garage where the car doesn't lock itself but I've also seen it elsewhere in which case the door wouldn't even unlock.
Usually when I open the app (without doing anything else) the bluetooth key starts working again.

Mine just done this on way back from office, had to unlock car via phone stood next to it, and then tap to drive. Phone is showing as connected, and I've just set to priority. Just looked on app and it hasn't locked either. Says phone key connected under security.

Will try the 2 button thingy if it plays up when I drive back

Mine was increasingly doing this, as well as not locking when I walked away from the car.
You can enable NFC in the phone, which means that you can tap the phone on the pillar to unlock and on the console to start.
It was becoming more and more frequent. Reset did nothing. I deleted the phone key and re-authorised it (though it took ages as it wouldn't pair with the phone). I started to wonder of the phone was the issue (Huawei P20 Pro 3 years old).

Last week I bought a new handset (Google Pixel 6 Pro). Authorising the phone as a key took seconds (compared to 30 minutes of effing and jeffing with my old phone). Since then I haven't had any problems with walk away locking or opening the car.

Might be food for thought?

Phone is a Samsung S8 (I know......I need a new phone!). Yes the car does unlock when I walk up to it most of the time but I have walk away lock disabled so lock with the card (in my phone case) by tapping the pillar. I don't have NFC enabled. Seems like the Tesla app is allowed to run in the background but not entirely sure how to check this.

Last edited:
I had this problem constantly since getting a phone with Android 10 or later.
If the screen is off, can't open the car or drive it.
Turn on app with screen on, works perfect.

I set not to background the app, but I think Android 10 and later is very aggressive with app backgrounding (to save power).
I've given up and bought a key...

We had this problem last week with my wife’s iPhone, two button reset didn’t resolve it, so we deleted the phone key and added again. But she hopefully learned the lesson that you need to take the key card with you just in case!

We had this problem last week with my wife’s iPhone, two button reset didn’t resolve it, so we deleted the phone key and added again. But she hopefully learned the lesson that you need to take the key card with you just in case!
Most of the time (if both the car and the phone have internet access) you can still open and start the car via the app, just not via bluetooth.

Reactions: dcsh
Phone is a Samsung S8 (I know......I need a new phone!). Yes the car does unlock when I walk up to it most of the time but I have walk away lock disabled so lock with the card (in my phone case) by tapping the pillar. I don't have NFC enabled. Seems like the Tesla app is allowed to run in the background but not entirely sure how to check this.
If the app was not running in the background it would not unlock when you walked up to the car so that seems fine.
but for info on my S21 the key setting is in appinfo/battery you can set it as Unrestricted/optimised/restricted. I have optimised but if you want to guarantee its running you set it to "unrestricted" S8 may be different.
I have had this issue occasionally if my phone is in my right pocket but taking it out and waving it in the middle of the car usually sorts it but if it is happening every time....

May have to go old school:
uninstall the app and re-install
remove the phone as a key and reinitialise it again