Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tape on Floor for Backing Into Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Half the time, autopark fails to back the car into the garage, and anyway, it's quicker and easier to do it myself.

To make it easier, I put lines down on the floor with tape down, and here's how that works:

No complaints, but ideally, I'd get the lines to line up, and they'd stay lined up as I back in. However, no matter how I approach it the backup line on the screen gets off the taped line, and I have to turn the wheels. I think that happens because I have the wheel turned a bit at the start. I'll have to experiment some more.

Side to side doesn’t bother me too much. As long as I’m not scraping anything, I’m good.

I do use the bumper to know when I’ve cleared the garage door though.

4EABFB91-5A45-4059-A236-152FB1F45CF4.jpeg

Reactions: UncertainTimes
For some reason, which I have never really given any thought to, I have never tried backing into the garage. It just seemed easier to drive straight in and back out. But we do have to be very careful to just clear the passenger side mirror on the way in so that we can open the driver's door without hitting the utility and garden tractors, the little trailer and the huge yucca plant (in the winter time - it won't fit in the house) in the other bay. And we have to make sure that we are in far enough to be able to open the trunk without hitting the overhead door when it is closed. The rear view camera takes care of that. We have a 21 S and I never thought about the trunk door extending out beyond the bumper when it opens!
In your case I'm sure practice will help you improve your approach but, temporarily, you could tape some lines on the driveway to assist in getting centered on the door. 😬