Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tapping from Home AC supply: Any possible issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I live in a condo, installing Level2 charger is a bit complicated. But, my Air conditioner supply is right outside the garage. I see that another Tesla owner in the community was able to get an electrician drill from inside the garage to reach the AC supply (which is 240V 30A) and create a Nema outlet inside the garage. This way, he was able to charge the car. But, need to be careful to not run Home AC and EV charging simultaneously. I just talked to the same electrician to see if that can be done in my garage too. But, the electrician mentioned it may not be legal, but so long as I am careful not to run both together, there is no issue. Just that I need to remove this connection if at all I plan to sell the condo in future. Opinions please......

If you have an electrician telling you that he will connect your new car charger and your AC simultaneously so it would be possible to have them both running at the same time on the same circuit, he is either not licensed or will lose his license one day soon.

There are devices that will turn off the car charger if the AC starts up, but I'm not sure if they are allowed in your area.

You need to ask the condo board first. I believe California requires condo associations to make EV charging accessible for residents. There is a safe, legal way to do this. What you're proposing is neither.

If you have an electrician telling you that he will connect your new car charger and your AC simultaneously so it would be possible to have them both running at the same time on the same circuit, he is either not licensed or will lose his license one day soon.

There are devices that will turn off the car charger if the AC starts up, but I'm not sure if they are allowed in your area.

You need to ask the condo board first. I believe California requires condo associations to make EV charging accessible for residents. There is a safe, legal way to do this.
Thank You. When I talked to another electrician for a quote, he said that this will require a complicated wiring. It may also include cost for planning and permit. The quote is about ~$4k. I don't think I need to put that much amount of money for something that I may not benefit long term. I might as well continue using the Normal Level 1 outlet in the garage instead. But, it seems the other neighbor has been using this Air conditioner supply without any issues for a long time. That made me think in this direction and talked to his electrician. This electrician is in the Tesla recommended list.

I had an electrician suggest that too, share my dryer power with the charger and the catch is you do not turn on both at the same time. I didn't feel comfortable enough with that restriction so went with just doing a proper sub panel (my issue was i ran out of space for breakers, so slightly different issues)

If the outlet is in a spot that is suitable, you can also check out splitters like neocharge.

Reactions: socal_my
Maybe you can install a dryer buddy, which would eliminate human error by not allowing them to be run simultaneously

Thank You All. With all your opinions, I am leaning towards not taking the shortcut. After thinking more about Level 1, it's making some sense to me based on my daily miles. I also had a look at some youtubers living with Level 1 for their Tesla and not having much trouble. I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes. Mine is a standard range MY. So, if my charging range is set 30-70%. That's about ~20kWh. So, somewhat doable in two nights.

If the 120V receptacle you plan to use to charge is the only receptacle on that circuit an electrician can easily rewire the circuit for 240V (same amperage as before so either 15A or 20A.) This would enable you to charge twice as fast as when charging at 120V.

If the 120V receptacle you plan to use to charge is the only receptacle on that circuit an electrician can easily rewire the circuit for 240V (same amperage as before so either 15A or 20A.) This would enable you to charge twice as fast as when charging at 120V.
Thanks. I don't think this is the case. It's one of the normal outlets in the garage. So, I guess it's all from same circuit.

You can test to see if the outlets in the garage are on the same circuit. Locate the service panel, switch off the breaker to the garage, etc. Check each outlet for power with a small lamp or clock radio. Also, note whether the circuit breaker is 15A or 20A. The Tesla Mobile Connector will enable the Tesla vehicle charge 33% faster when using a 120V, 20A circuit and a NEMA 5-20 receptacle and 5-20 plug adapter than when charging using a 120V, 15A circuit.

Note: If you plug the Tesla 5-15 plug adapter that comes with the Mobile Connector into a 5-20 receptacle the Tesla vehicle won't charge any faster than when using a 5-15 receptacle. To gain the additional charging speed when using a 120V, 20A circuit you would need to purchase the NEMA 5-20 plug adapter. (You can't plug the 5-20 plug adapter into the 5-15 receptacle as the plug won't fit.)

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters