Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Accessories FYI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Fam...so I ordered a few things from TapTes...the cupholder inserts, the 9h tempered matte glass screen cover, the rubber red-lined center console liners, and Gen 2 Wireless charging pad (pre-order)...some thoughts:

+TapTes likes to package everything completely sealed with DUCT TAPE...lol WTH?!
+Rubber liners arrived crumpled, and torn...wrote to Taptes and was informed a replacement would be resent, still awaiting.
+Received Matte cover okay, but it is advertised as being glass...feels like plastic, still need to install (no instructions came with this delivery)
+Still awaiting the Gen 2 wireless charger, received an email stating extra week delay (should receive around June 18)
+Cupholders arrived in good shape, matched the description and are working out just fine (whew!)

After I emailed + shared photos of the sub-par rubber liners, I received a shipment a couple of days later including an EXTRA matte screen cover which is oddly timed given the situation re: the liners...I will be emailing them letting them know about this extra shipment.

I am so far feeling "meh" about Taptes but am hoping the newly shipped liners and the Gen 2 wireless charger will change that mood for me...anyone else have a similar experience?

So to follow up on everything, TapTes sent me a set of replacement rubber inserts and in a timely manner (yay) they arrived in optimal shape so that's a plus!

I installed the Qi wireless charger and it seems the left side is faulty. At random lengths of time, sometimes in as little as 10 minutes, sometimes in as long as 35 minutes, the left side stops charging and the light blinks to indicate it is no longer charging. The right side works just fine and I have had no issues.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Maybe it has something to do with the wiring...but it does seem to work less when it is hot outside.

Any feedback is much appreciated! -jazz

So to follow up on everything, TapTes sent me a set of replacement rubber inserts and in a timely manner (yay) they arrived in optimal shape so that's a plus!

I installed the Qi wireless charger and it seems the left side is faulty. At random lengths of time, sometimes in as little as 10 minutes, sometimes in as long as 35 minutes, the left side stops charging and the light blinks to indicate it is no longer charging. The right side works just fine and I have had no issues.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Maybe it has something to do with the wiring...but it does seem to work less when it is hot outside.

have you contacted taptes about this issue

I just received my Gen 2 wireless charger (preordered 5/27!) & had the exact same problem with the left side today. I was testing both sides out, alternating back and forth, but the left only worked the first time I tried it. The right stayed working. I didn't get any response when trying landscape position. I immediately emailed TapTes & several hours later they responded. (San Diego vs Hong Kong time difference!) They told me to unplug all the cables, reboot the computer, then plug in the USB splitters first and then the charger. But I was only using the single wire cables, not the splitter cables. At first that worked, but then the left side stopped again. I finally ended up disconnecting everything again, rebooting and then connected using the splitter cables this time. Everything is working fine now, even the landscape connection, which uses the left side. Bottom line, I think the splitter cables are necessary. I'll post again here if I run into trouble.

I just received my Gen 2 wireless charger (preordered 5/27!) & had the exact same problem with the left side today. I was testing both sides out, alternating back and forth, but the left only worked the first time I tried it. The right stayed working. I didn't get any response when trying landscape position. I immediately emailed TapTes & several hours later they responded. (San Diego vs Hong Kong time difference!) They told me to unplug all the cables, reboot the computer, then plug in the USB splitters first and then the charger. But I was only using the single wire cables, not the splitter cables. At first that worked, but then the left side stopped again. I finally ended up disconnecting everything again, rebooting and then connected using the splitter cables this time. Everything is working fine now, even the landscape connection, which uses the left side. Bottom line, I think the splitter cables are necessary. I'll post again here if I run into trouble.

Awesome! I was going to swap the wiring, but instead I'll give your advice a go...this is excellent! Thank you :)

We received our Gen2 wireless charger today. Packaged professionally. Works correctly. Be sure to plug the USB wires from the charger into the small power-only wires of the splitters, as mentioned in the Taptes instructions.

The only difficulty I had was removing the bottom lip from the Tesla "shelf" because the Taptes instructions weren't specific. A quick web search returned a video showing the lip slides to the left then lifts away.

***4 days later and it's still working great. Definitely, use the splitter cables.

I ordered and received their Gen 2 charger. Happy with it. Overall service and communication was good. The package (solidly sealed!) has to go through customs in the US. Once it got there I was unable to track it till it was delivered. So be prepared for a 10-12 day wait after it gets to the US.

Works fine etc. I did find Taptes to be very responsive. Recommend their product.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
I'm still having trouble with intermittent charging with my wireless charging pad. I unplugged everything, restarted the screen, waited until it finished rebooting, then plugged the cables together prior to connecting to my Model 3. The charging has improved, although it still goes out intermittently...I'm not sure what else to do? I think I've had the product now too long to return it. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

My suggestion is not to use the USB ports in the front section, I feel like since it is delivering data the computer goes haywire trying to figure out what to do. I have had absolutely no issues with my charging pad plugged into a 12v USB hub. Or I may not know what I'm talking about

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
My suggestion is not to use the USB ports in the front section, I feel like since it is delivering data the computer goes haywire trying to figure out what to do. I have had absolutely no issues with my charging pad plugged into a 12v USB hub. Or I may not know what I'm talking about

I did the same. Hooked up both of the ports into a 12v USB hub. That opens up the two front ports for sentry cam and music. The TapTes Gen 2 charger works great on both sides and horizontally.

I haven’t had any issues charging with the front USB ports. If a hub works that’s great but something may be wrong with the charger or your port. I had a Jeda gen 1 charger. Worked great but was slow charging. Got a new fast charging one from RPM Tesla. This charger lights up a blue to let you know it’s charging. Never noticed it not charging. Is it possible your phone slid on the charger causing it to not charge?

I haven’t had any issues charging with the front USB ports. If a hub works that’s great but something may be wrong with the charger or your port. I had a Jeda gen 1 charger. Worked great but was slow charging. Got a new fast charging one from RPM Tesla. This charger lights up a blue to let you know it’s charging. Never noticed it not charging. Is it possible your phone slid on the charger causing it to not charge?

I'll have to buy a 12v USB hub and give that a try...my phone will stay in the same place and initially will charge, but then sometimes mid charge the light will start flashing, indicating it is no longer charging. Often I will lay my phone horizontal and the left side will light up to charge and the right side will blink indicating it cannot be used to charge. So????

I haven't had it consistently work while plugged into the USB hubs directly. I currently do not have a sentry-focused USB plugged in at the moment, but the 12v workaround seems like a good idea!

Taptes wireless charing tip! (might already been mentioned)

You must use the splitter, also the splitter ends are not the same, one is a thinner cable, you must use the thinner cable for the Taptes. This is in the instructions which nobody reads (including myself).

Basically the front usb's deliver data but for the wireless charger you need power only and no data so thats what the splitter is for, otherwise you freeze the USB port.

• Informative
Reactions: 3scompany