Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Armrest Cover - Improperly Shipped But Otherwise Decent [Vendor resolved issue]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too often I found my armrest blazing hot due to being in the sun so I ordered a white cover from Taptes. Overall it looks fine from a fit perspective and is a decent cover.
IMG_4045.JPG

However they completely failed on the shipping as they folded it in half and put it in a box!!! It has left damage on an otherwise nice looking product. I left a comment on this so I will get to see how the customer service is with this company.

This is the damage on the drivers side of the cover
IMG_4044.JPG

Damage on the top of the armrest. This also causes the cover to be lifted off the armrest in this area. What a shame.

IMG_4043.JPG

Please note my lighting was poor and the color matches. Using my iPhone flash made it worse.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Did you have the same issues with damage?

The sides looks similar to your pic, but the top is smooth. I tried to flatten it underneath a heavy object before installing, but that didn't work. I wish they put the vertical seam for the bottom pipping at the back and not the driver's side of the cover.

Probably would have been better if they shipped it in a large, padded envelope instead.

They contacted me and asked I use a hairdryer on the highest setting. I will try that later today.
If that doesn’t work I always have my heat gun! I do not own a steamer.

Taptes got back to me in less than 12 hours with this suggestion. They also said they would change the shipping practices for this product.

Not convinced a hair dryer will work (but I hope it does). I think steaming/ironing will likely fix it to a large degree, if not fully.

Not convinced a hair dryer will work (but I hope it does). I think steaming/ironing will likely fix it to a large degree, if not fully.
You were correct, hair dryer did not work. I used my heat gun on it (I have a digital type that I can adjust up to 1280 F) I finally got the crease out but the temp needed left the surface shiny in that area. But even then it still wasn't right as you can still see the seam at the top not flow level all the way across. I gave up on the other side, I worked on it for a good bit though.

Edit: I still had over 400 F left to go on my heat gun, I didn't just blast it full power.

IMG_4054.JPG

The method they used to ship such a decent product just blows my mind.

Last edited:
You were correct, hair dryer did not work. I used my heat gun on it (I have a digital type that I can adjust up to 1280 F) I finally got the crease out but the temp needed left the surface shiny in that area. But even then it still wasn't right as you can still see the seam at the top not flow level all the way across. I gave up on the other side, I worked on it for a good bit though.

View attachment 422092

The method they used to ship such a decent product just blows my mind.

Ugh yeah, that sucks. Always a risk with dry heat of wrecking something. I really do think steaming it out gently would have solved it, but if you have no steamer that doesn't help you, and let's be honest - they shouldn't be shipping these like this anyway...

Taptes promptly sent me a replacement but since I've been out of town a lot and dealing with other stuff at home I did not get to this until now. I really like the white armrest because it does not get hot when in the sun.

Old Shipping box vs new
IMG_4258.JPG

I think it looks nice. Excuse my dirty dash.
IMG_4260.JPG

The armrest now matches when looking from the back.

IMG_4262.JPG

Reactions: Tim Hyatt