Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Gen 2 charge pad arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received and installed my Gen 2 Taptes charging pad. The batch of them arrived to Los Angeles and cleared customs over the weekend. I might be the first to install it.

The fit and finish is very good - it came with 2 usb splitters as well as short cables for the pad itself. The splitters have a power-only wire and a power/data wire. My Raspberry Pi Teslacam is happy sharing on a data side.

Previously, I had the thin disc type chargers. They were hit-and-miss lately, but the Taptes pad is working really well. It has indicators for which side is charging. Both indicators light if you put the phone along the bottom sideways, and the phone shows charging much quicker than it did when the disc worked.

No tape or other kludges to fit the pad - it is molded just like the bottom of the Tesla soft pad that it replaced. I highly recommend this upgrade if you have $50.

When did you place your order? Placed my order June 25th and hasn't even shipped yet. Tina (from Taptes) says in email maybe ship next week......

I have been using this new pad for a few days and it's awesome. Definitely a lot easier to get the charging to start and it charges fine even with a case on. One of my friend has a case where she keeps a few credit cards and it was to charge through that no problem.

Reactions: Tim Hyatt
Wondering if anyone has tried both the Tesla & Taptes gen 2, or knows the main differences between the Tesla charger and Taptes gen 2. ?
Thanks
I haven't tried the Tesla one yet, but it seems to be more similar to the first generation of the Taptes than gen 2.

The following features are not on the Tesla one:
- Horizontal charging
- Charging indicator lights
- Cable charging
- Independent charging cable so you can route to the 12V

I haven't tried the Tesla one yet, but it seems to be more similar to the first generation of the Taptes than gen 2.

The following features are not on the Tesla one:
- Horizontal charging
- Charging indicator lights
- Cable charging
- Independent charging cable so you can route to the 12V

Possibly I'm missing it in the pics/description-

Wireless Charging Pad for Tesla Model 3

But I don't see any additional cable to route to the 12v?

Not the OP, but received mine July 1st. One huge upgrade in the Gen 2 is that there is a 3rd charge coil for the horizontal orientation, which I verified my hunch with Tina at Taptes. The 3rd charge coil shares its power with the left side and is powered by the left USB connector.

The only minor issue is that the left side when it errors out (when the iPhone is misaligned), the amber light flashes, left charger stops, and requires the USB to be unplugged and plugged to reset. Tina recommended to snug the phone against the divider for a proper charge. The right side is rock solid and resets on its own if purposely placed offset. I predict a wider phone than the iPhone X will actually fit better, and will not budge around very fast off ramps at roller coaster speed. Tina asked me to video the error out and send to her.

The lightning adapter has been eliminated due to technical issues as verified with Tina.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Noticed this offer on their site. If you are not planning to use this code and happen to have it, can you please post it so one of us can use it. We will then return the code once received with our order for anyone else to use.

Sales: place an order of the Tesla Model 3 wireless phone charger, you'll get a 10% discount for your next order. The discount code will be emailed to you.

Reactions: tvguy710
Noticed this offer on their site. If you are not planning to use this code and happen to have it, can you please post it so one of us can use it. We will then return the code once received with our order for anyone else to use.

Sales: place an order of the Tesla Model 3 wireless phone charger, you'll get a 10% discount for your next order. The discount code will be emailed to you.

I never got a code.