Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

taptes gen 3 (15w) wireless charging pad: first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
admittedly very quick (because all i've had a chance to do so far is just install it in place of my gen 2): large phones will fit on it. my galaxy s20+ that would not fit vertically on the gen 2 fits just fine on the gen 3.

has anyone else bought the new one or upgraded their gen 1 or gen 2 yet and have any impressions on it?

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I was going to order it from them and was going back and forth with their sales team via email. Always took like 2 days to reply and took like 2 - 3 emails to answer simple questions so at the end I didn't buy it. I have the s20+ but am not sure I really will end up using wireless charging down on that dock area

Reactions: lUtriaNt
it's actually available on amazon too, if anyone wants quicker shipping. that's where i got it from...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08936DH4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: nevermind, it's OOS right now. that link is valid though if you want to wait and keep checking when it might be back in stock, considering shipping from taptes direct takes a while.

my note 10+ fits vertically on the prior model so im cool.
when i get the 20 ultra that comes out in a few weeks i'll see how that plays out on this older model charge pad before diving in on the new one..

in a few weeks? is there another release coming that i missed?

Hmm I wonder if it will fit my S20 Ultra, its 0.2 inches larger than the +.

without a case it should fit fine. my s20+ with the case i have on it is only 1mm shorter than the ultra without case.

if you have a case on it, that's a different question...next time i go out to the car i'll take my old phone with me and get a picture of my s20+ on the dock to give you an idea just how much room there is.

Reactions: Timmy T.
Damn, I wish one of these 3rd party chargers would design it so that phones sit down in the lip like the Tesla charger does... This is the only thing preventing me from buying one, I hate the "secondary" shelf they all have.

Here's a pic of the s20+ with a case (spigen liquid air) that makes it 1mm shorter than the ultra with no case.

Imgur

and a video of me moving the phone up and down a bit in the dock to try to give an idea of how much extra room there still is, in case anyone has a phone bigger than the s20+.

Imgur

Thanks for doing that! It sure looks like it will fit the Ultra as well. In for 1!

Reactions: crackers8199
admittedly very quick (because all i've had a chance to do so far is just install it in place of my gen 2): large phones will fit on it. my galaxy s20+ that would not fit vertically on the gen 2 fits just fine on the gen 3.

has anyone else bought the new one or upgraded their gen 1 or gen 2 yet and have any impressions on it?

I got it yesterday ( through Amazon) and I'm sending it back. I have the hub and like that (2020 Model 3 prior to USB-C being added). I set my Pixel 3 on this and played with the phone for a few minutes... the battery charge level of the phone decreased while on the charger (charge light indicating it was charging). If it's that slow I'll just stick with the 90 degree cable.

I got it yesterday ( through Amazon) and I'm sending it back. I have the hub and like that (2020 Model 3 prior to USB-C being added). I set my Pixel 3 on this and played with the phone for a few minutes... the battery charge level of the phone decreased while on the charger (charge light indicating it was charging). If it's that slow I'll just stick with the 90 degree cable.

it won't fast charge unless you run the power cables to the 12v outlet. the gen 2 was like this too...you have to give it at least a 9v input, anything at 5v (which both front USB are) will only slow charge at 5w.

edit: actually, just saw you have a pixel 3 and that won't fast charge period with any of the car charging pads (not this one, nor jeda, nor nomad, nor the OEM one). the pixel 3 will only fast charge with google certified chargers, of which there are none for cars. there are only a few options period for home fast charging.

side note: if you're rooted, you can run a mod that will allow it but it still won't be super fast.

edit 2: not sure the inner workings of their hub (or the jeda hub) - does it somehow combine the power from the two front USB and output 9v or 12v from one of the USB ports?

Last edited:
back in stock at amazon (or at least orderable, in stock aug 14)
Why order from Amazon when taptes is on sale? $35

Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 15W Fast Charging
Screenshot_20200724-143820_Chrome.jpg

with the delay in shipping there isn't a reason to, you're right. i ordered it from amazon on sunday because it was in stock with prime shipping and i had it in two days...i've seen reviews on ordering direct from taptes that say it takes forever because it's coming from china.

actually, the return policy could be one reason. i think taptes direct charges a restocking fee.

edit: yep, taptes direct charges a 20% restocking fee. amazon has free returns.

with the delay in shipping there isn't a reason to, you're right. i ordered it from amazon on sunday because it was in stock with prime shipping and i had it in two days...i've seen reviews on ordering direct from taptes that say it takes forever because it's coming from china.

actually, the return policy could be one reason. i think taptes direct charges a restocking fee.

edit: yep, taptes direct charges a 20% restocking fee. amazon has free returns.
Good points. I guess I don't mind waiting months given its not a necessity. Glad to charge at 25W superfast charging on my s20+ using a China shipped 12v usb-c charger. Only during the end of day when I leave work with 20%. Just to top off during my drive home.

Reactions: crackers8199