Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Jeda Products for coming in with your side of the story. I admit, I was irritated with your slow delivery times and slow responses to questions, and even wrote an angry email to cancel my order as a "final decision"...but when I actually got it, I was very pleased with its quality and functionality. In that way y'all really remind me of Tesla :) Service could use improvement, but the product made it all worth it.

As for TapTes, their prices are indeed unbeatable, but the way they tried to give discounts for people plugging them on forums left a very bad taste in my mouth. It reminds me of all those shady Amazon dealers who basically bribe you if you write good reviews. I don't want to do business with companies like that.

Thank you very much for the kind kind words. We agree with you on all fronts.

I don't see how it is inferior... And frankly, neither requires much R&D; it is very straight forward technology.... The JedaHub was way over-priced from the get-go... At a lower price, Jeda would have had proportionately much higher sales and, ultimately, higher profits... I ordered one of the Taptes.

Hi Tom, great question. Well, first it comes with having the actual idea. Then we spend time tweaking the idea and brainstorming it, followed by creating initial 3d designs. We 3d print different designs for months, before getting the mold ready, and add all necessary tweaks to it. Then we finalize the design, choosing the custom materials and finishes we like. Just the compartment door, which has magnets ingrained, took our team about 1 month and a half to come up with, test, and decide on. We go through many iterations of design aspects before we land on a suitable prototype, and then follow up with numerous prototypes before we land on the actual finished product.

And this is just from the design standpoint. The electronics are a whole other ballgame, and we do roughly the same as we do with design. As our design changes, so do our PCB and electronics.

We are not disagreeing in any way about other options on the market at varying price points, we're absolutely fine with that. What we are vehemently in disagreement with, is literally stealing a design and posting it as your own. If Taptes would like to make a USB Hub for the Model 3, they should spend the time to design their own concept, instead of just taking the one we worked on. It's unethical and shameful.

And yes, alot of R+D goes into launching even a simple product like this. Hence, the frustration.

I recommend really promoting that you're made in the USA and building your company as a brand that people may want to pay extra for because of its quality or style.

I very highly doubt they're made in USA. Designed here yes, but definitely not made here.

I've never purchased a Jeda product, simply because the early adopter pricing was just ludicrous to me for such a simple product. Had it been more reasonable (I'm not saying cheap like Taptes), I would've jumped on it and would not have cared when TapTes (if not them, someone else definitely would and most likely many) came out with a clone. And don't tell me just because I can afford a $50k+ car I shouldn't be balking at a $150 item. Try to sell me a $5 paper clip and I'll laugh in your face.

So who did Tesla stole from?
Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger

Hi Jeda, I am sorry it happened to you. I have some ideas on what kind of phone holder I want for my Model 3 and would love to share my ideas if there's a chance that it gets produced if you like it. I am very annoyed with the lack of phone integration in Tesla. I control music from my phone as well as use Google Maps and Waze in addition to Tesla Navigation and there's no phone holder I like for my Model 3 on the market today. I want it to hold my phone in my line of sight while driving and with ability to reach and control the phone with my hand if needed.
Feel free to reach to me privately.

I very highly doubt they're made in USA. Designed here yes, but definitely not made here.

I've never purchased a Jeda product, simply because the early adopter pricing was just ludicrous to me for such a simple product. Had it been more reasonable (I'm not saying cheap like Taptes), I would've jumped on it and would not have cared when TapTes (if not them, someone else definitely would and most likely many) came out with a clone. And don't tell me just because I can afford a $50k+ car I shouldn't be balking at a $150 item. Try to sell me a $5 paper clip and I'll laugh in your face.

So who did Tesla stole from?
Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger

When we first launched it was $89 as we offered a discount for reservations, and now our product is $99 for the Jeda Wireless Pad (not the hub.) Tesla, and Nomad, have their own designs for their products. They create them themselves and they are distinguishable as being theirs.

As mentioned, we're in agreement about options on the market at different price points for customers, but we're not in agreement with a company completely copying another's product, and selling it at a price that the original company (us) are unable to compete with due to margin and costs which must be maintained. If Taptes was selling a $25 product that they themselves spent the time to design, create, and test that's fine. The problem here is that they are not. They are selling a poorly executed replica of our product.

Hi Jeda, I am sorry it happened to you. I have some ideas on what kind of phone holder I want for my Model 3 and would love to share my ideas if there's a chance that it gets produced if you like it. I am very annoyed with the lack of phone integration in Tesla. I control music from my phone as well as use Google Maps and Waze in addition to Tesla Navigation and there's no phone holder I like for my Model 3 on the market today. I want it to hold my phone in my line of sight while driving and with ability to reach and control the phone with my hand if needed.
Feel free to reach to me privately.

Absolutely, we're always open to ideas and improvements. Sending a message!

Well, truthfully, we're very sad about the fact that a company which also produces products for a community we love, has ripped off our small business. We rely on two products, and we spend months upon months designing, developing, and creating them. During the design process, we go through close to 25 samples, getting everything perfect down to minor details, and modifying numerous molds. Both products we have made, and spent time making, has been completely ripped off by this company. We're all for a healthy marketplace and healthy competition, but the blatant disrespect companies like the one in question practice violate basic commercial conduct, as it causes consumer confusion while utilizing price gauging tactics.

Our prices are based upon these factors: the R+D process, the molds costs ($$$), employees costs and wages, material costs, import taxes, and handling costs. Our employees are based in the U.S, and we focus on providing fair wages, health insurance, and paid sick leave. We are also subject to U.S federal and state tax laws. Foreign companies, such as TapTes, are not. They are able to (cheaply) reproduce items, without having to pay for the time to design them, and the workforce necessary to ship them and handle support for them.

In reality, our shipping time is slow. We're painfully aware of this. Our team is small, which is highlighted daily. Our goal for 2020 has been to create more products, which we have been working on since June of 2018, and hire more staff, including one dedicated to communications. We used to handle all shipments in house, leading to delays, and have just switched to a 3PL, which is a big step for us.

Our stability is directly threatened by companies like Taptes, because if we do push for more products, and hire more staff, what happens when our next product gets reproduced and sold at a price we cannot compete with, because our company is not based in China? Everyone wants a healthy economy, more jobs, fair wages, and healthcare. Small businesses like ours, cannot compete with businesses which practice unfair market practices, and provide those things at the same time.

Another important thing to note, is that the product they are marketing has not been tested for compliance and could cause problems to the vehicles they are intended for. Our product was vigilantly tested for 9 months, prior to launch. Our build quality is premium. Our electronics are custom made, and our PCB boards were/are designed by local Engineers in California.

So, truth be told we are pissed about the ripoff. And we're saddened because we want to continue to grow and make innovative products for the Tesla community, but it's hard to envision that possibility if we are consistently ripped off, since it makes us question if it's worth investing the money into more employees, and completing the other products we have been working hard to put out for this year (we have novel products for the Model 3, and others for other models which we've been working on for the better half of one year, since they are our largest products yet.) We are okay with competition, we just wish they would have some decency in creating their own products which solve the same problem, rather than creating the same exact product.

With that said, we know many may not care about this, and will choose a bad product, that has poor build quality, simply because the price is cheaper.

Jeda, you make a really good point about costs and all that. I have to admit, if I were in your situation, I'd be pissed too if my product was indeed copied and stolen. I just want to give you honest feedback. I am not saying I am right, but my personal perception was this company (Jeda) has a cool product but they have no competition and they are targeting Tesla owners (assuming they have all kinds of money to blow). and charging way too much for this product. For this reason I waited for a similar and more reasonably priced product. Like it or not, that is my honest thought process that I went through. I'll also be honest and say now I feel a little guilty for not supporting an American made product after reading your post. I wish you would have found a way to make it profitable for around $50 cause asking more than that, American made or not; does seem a little high to me.

Now I'll wait for all the trolls to come out and ask me why I bought a $60,000 car if I can't spend $100 on a USB hub. And I'll answer now and say, I can afford a $60k car because I don't do things like spending $100 on a USB hub, I wait for a price drop, or a better option.

Your post is respectable Jeda, and I'll be keeping an eye out for your future products as I prefer American made, but get that price right! ;) Good luck to you and your company!

Jeda, you make a really good point about costs and all that. I have to admit, if I were in your situation, I'd be pissed too if my product was indeed copied and stolen. I just want to give you honest feedback. I am not saying I am right, but my personal perception was this company (Jeda) has a cool product but they have no competition and they are targeting Tesla owners (assuming they have all kinds of money to blow). and charging way too much for this product. For this reason I waited for a similar and more reasonably priced product. Like it or not, that is my honest thought process that I went through. I'll also be honest and say now I feel a little guilty for not supporting an American made product after reading your post. I wish you would have found a way to make it profitable for around $50 cause asking more than that, American made or not; does seem a little high to me.

Now I'll wait for all the trolls to come out and ask me why I bought a $60,000 car if I can't spend $100 on a USB hub. And I'll answer now and say, I can afford a $60k car because I don't do things like spending $100 on a USB hub, I wait for a price drop, or a better option.

Your post is respectable Jeda, and I'll be keeping an eye out for your future products as I prefer American made, but get that price right! ;) Good luck to you and your company!

Thank you very much for understanding and replying. We sincerely try to keep our prices in line with all the costs we've mentioned. If we could find a way to hit $50 per unit we would, but since we're smaller and don't mass produce, it's impossible for us to hit those numbers and scale in any way since we're bootstrapped. For Black Friday, we did a pretty big discount on our products, which got the hub down to the price you mentioned. We also have year round coupon codes on various products which change monthly.

As mentioned, healthy competition is great and key to a good marketplace. Had TapTes come up with their own concept/design, we'd have no qualms about them selling at any price point they would like. Our issue is one of principal and ethics.

Thanks again though. Sincerely appreciate your comments!

015ACCFC-418C-441F-A965-F279E2C61973.jpeg

Can we please stop referring to these as “Made in USA”?

With that said, we know many may not care about this, and will choose a bad product, that has poor build quality, simply because the price is cheaper.

When I was looking for a Qi charger, on the surface, it looked you had the best design. But the more I read, the more it looked like there were inconsistencies in the product. But what ultimately swayed me away was the painfully obvious lack of customer service response. If one person complains, I mostly ignore it. Even if someone chimes in with a "me too", I still take it with a hug grain of salt. But the volume of posts where people were getting no response, was simply unacceptable too me. It wasn't the lengthy delivery times - it was the seemingly zero CS. It made me believe that your company was on the verge of collapsing and I didn't want to buy something from someone who wasn't going to be around to support it. And even if you weren't going to fold, you still indicated that you were simply unable to support your customers.

I feel for you - you've put yourselves in a tight spot. And you are there because of your past performance. I may some day want to purchase your products, but in my eyes, you got your work cut out for you to turn your image around.

I recommend really promoting that you're made in the USA...

Your post is respectable Jeda, and I'll be keeping an eye out for your future products as I prefer American made...
I know it has been stated but it bears repeating: these are not made in the US. Designed, yes, but made, no

Also @Jeda Products, I am glad to see you on here. I am more willing to support the small guy when he has a presence here; even willing to pay more. Had I seen you on here previously, responding to the multitudes of posts, letting everyone know of the delays and apologizing (a little humility goes a long way), I probably would have purchased your product and patiently waited.

Also @Jeda Products, I am glad to see you on here. I am more willing to support the small guy when he has a presence here; even willing to pay more. Had I seen you on here previously, responding to the multitudes of posts, letting everyone know of the delays and apologizing (a little humility goes a long way), I probably would have purchased your product and patiently waited.

Yep, what this says. I'm sympathetic to your cause. I am.

But you should have been on here much more prior. Should have been responding to every email you got. Should have shown more care about every individual customer. That's what it takes for a start up. Endless hours. Endless focus on your customers. You must go above and beyond. Care must be given so trust is earned.

So I hear you Jeda. I feel for you. But the reality is this started long ago. And you ignored when your customers were complaining and needing you.

So now, unfortunately, you'll get that in return. You reap what you sow. Sucks to be on the other end doesn't it?

When I was looking for a Qi charger, on the surface, it looked you had the best design. But the more I read, the more it looked like there were inconsistencies in the product. But what ultimately swayed me away was the painfully obvious lack of customer service response. If one person complains, I mostly ignore it. Even if someone chimes in with a "me too", I still take it with a hug grain of salt. But the volume of posts where people were getting no response, was simply unacceptable too me. It wasn't the lengthy delivery times - it was the seemingly zero CS. It made me believe that your company was on the verge of collapsing and I didn't want to buy something from someone who wasn't going to be around to support it. And even if you weren't going to fold, you still indicated that you were simply unable to support your customers.

I feel for you - you've put yourselves in a tight spot. And you are there because of your past performance. I may some day want to purchase your products, but in my eyes, you got your work cut out for you to turn your image around.

I know it has been stated but it bears repeating: these are not made in the US. Designed, yes, but made, no

Our products are designed in the U.S. The design process takes anywhere from 8 months to 1 year or more (the hub took 9 months) and is design by our team in house. We ship out of California.

We absolutely agree that we have alot to work on and improve on. We used to handle all shipments in house, along with returns, R+D and customer service. We have not had enough hands on deck to handle all of those tasks, and grow at the same time. We've definitely experienced those growing pains! Our goals for this year were to stop shipping in house, which we've done, and to hire someone solely for communications, which we are currently doing. But yes, there's no doubt there are things we can and should improve on.

We've never gotten involved on forums. We need someone to handle communications, who can be able to check in on them daily, and up to now, we have not had that.

This still should not every justify being blatantly ripped off though. We've been in operation for less than two years, and it's hard to understand how a small business' growing pains justifies another company wiping them out.

With that said, communications is a goal, as is hiring the right person to handle it and keep up with it on multiple sites, such as TMC.
We found this page, as it was sent to us by a customer, and perhaps our post was made emotionally, but it's been hitting us pretty hard, so we chimed in.

Yep, what this says. I'm sympathetic to your cause. I am.

But you should have been on here much more prior. Should have been responding to every email you got. Should have shown more care about every individual customer. That's what it takes for a start up. Endless hours. Endless focus on your customers. You must go above and beyond. Care must be given so trust is earned.

So I hear you Jeda. I feel for you. But the reality is this started long ago. And you ignored when your customers were complaining and needing you.

So now, unfortunately, you'll get that in return. You reap what you sow. Sucks to be on the other end doesn't it?

We have never been active on forums, on any social platform. We don't have a facebook. And we have no instagram. The reason for all of those is exactly the same: we haven't have enough staff to support consistent social media management/communications. If our customers need us, we can be reached by email or Twitter DM. We are actively working to hire an extra person to focus on social/comm tasks which is what we are currently working on. Please keep in mind, we've been around for 1.5 years as a company. We're still establishing ourselves in this community, market, and space.

We still do not see this as justification for a competing company to plagiarize and price gouge our products.

Reactions: linux-works
The way I see it, Jeda could have done it better.
* File design/idea patent globally before releasing these products so that gives you legal backround to fight against this.
* Not going to China/Chinese company for manufacturing. These company/factory are money first and and ethics can be fed to dogs if there are money to be made. It's not uncommon these factory during the day makes your product but at night they use the same mold and material to make their own knockoff.

Our products are designed in the U.S. The design process takes anywhere from 8 months to 1 year or more (the hub took 9 months) and is design by our team in house. We ship out of California.

We absolutely agree that we have alot to work on and improve on. We used to handle all shipments in house, along with returns, R+D and customer service. We have not had enough hands on deck to handle all of those tasks, and grow at the same time. We've definitely experienced those growing pains! Our goals for this year were to stop shipping in house, which we've done, and to hire someone solely for communications, which we are currently doing. But yes, there's no doubt there are things we can and should improve on.

We've never gotten involved on forums. We need someone to handle communications, who can be able to check in on them daily, and up to now, we have not had that.

This still should not every justify being blatantly ripped off though. We've been in operation for less than two years, and it's hard to understand how a small business' growing pains justifies another company wiping them out.

With that said, communications is a goal, as is hiring the right person to handle it and keep up with it on multiple sites, such as TMC.
We found this page, as it was sent to us by a customer, and perhaps our post was made emotionally, but it's been hitting us pretty hard, so we chimed in.

I appreciate your position and am sorry that your designs have been ripped off. However, e-commerce is such in 2020 that fast shipping is the norm and some consistent customer service is also required. If you take weeks to ship to a customer, you are not in step with the times. Sorry, but I didn’t invent the rules. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, however.

Reactions: adys123 and tvad