Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure you can say TapTes "ripped off" the Jeda Hub, however, without any barriers to entry into the marketplace, such as a patent or total brand loyalty, there is nothing stopping TapTes from bringing a similar product into the public marketplace. Economics 101 dictates that if there is profit to me made selling a similar product at a lower price than an existing product, then there is high likelihood that another product will enter the marketplace at that lower selling price. It's just marketplace competition, and nearly every US company has to be competitive otherwise they will no longer exist. Who knows, tomorrow there could be another similar USB hub that comes to market at $19.99 and TapTes will lose marketshare to that product.

For me, $79 was to high of a price to want to purchase a USB hub for my Model 3, I just didn't see enough value in that transaction. However, at $24.99, I would consider purchasing one. I suppose every consumer is different, if it makes sense to a buyer to spend and additional $54.01 on the Jeda hub to support a "Designed in the US" product, then that's their decision. I just don't blame TapTes for being willing to make less profit by selling a similar lower cost product.

Last edited:
Actually, it makes sense if you want a charge-only port... Some devices try to exchange data when plugged in to a regular port and this prevents that and adds extra security when all you want to do is charge...

I'm a bit suspicious of the power only ports and wonder why they did it that way. Your usual USB hub chip would be a four port, which would give 5 total ports from the existing two./QUOTE]

Actually, it makes sense if you want a charge-only port... Some devices try to exchange data when plugged in to a regular port and this prevents that and adds extra security when all you want to do is charge...
I suppose, although this is not a public charge port where security is a big issue. The part that makes me suspicious is that TapTes sells simple power splitter cables, which I own, but they don't work properly with iPhones. I hope these power only ports do.

So what I haven't figured out yet is if either of these will work for my current situation, which is likely similar to many other users. I currently have 2 hubs/splitters hooked up to get:

Charging pad (2 needed, power only)
Dashcam USB thumb drive (data+power)
Music USB thumb drive (data+power)
Game controller (data+power)

So a total of 5 USB ports needed, with at least 3 capable of data. Lack of USB ports is a definite issue with the 3 - hopefully they have improved it with the Y.

Currently my music drive works sporadically, but I'm not sure if the problem is the drive itself, the hub I have it hooked up to, or the music firmware in the car (drive acts much like spotify - will work for a while then stop, and will also often not go back to the same song, or even play at all when I get back in the car and start up again).

As a computer security nutter: I'm just as nervous of "charge only" ports as I am of data ports. The USB vulnerabilities that make data-ports dangerous don't go away just because of a sticker that claims the port is power-only. :)

In reality, this is a threat vector with more smoke than fire, and it's not currently used in the wild....
Juice jacking - Wikipedia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuruzFqMgIw
https://media.blackhat.com/us-13/US...nto-iOS-Devices-via-Malicious-Chargers-WP.pdf

Got my two @Jeda Products hubs today. Very clever design and amazed at how well it fits.

So between the two, I paid $108 more than what it would have cost through Taptes.

But that's ok - because I can sleep a little bit better at night supporting an innovator and not a counterfeiter.

It's never cheapest to live off of principles. However, karma, integrity (and some hard work) would allow me to buy anything Jeda makes at whatever price they want to charge.

Having money or saving money doesn't give you class.

It's pathetic how people can live with themselves supporting a complete and obvious 99% knock off.

Hopefully @Jeda Products has got all the whining out of their system and won't be crying all over the thread any further.

Lucky for you, I think you will be retiring or pushed out of the work force in short order. Would love to find a way to automate or rip off whatever you do. Whatever it is, I bet it's easy. Your hubris and cruelty knows no bounds.

Last edited:
Why not just partition the drive?

Hopefully @Jeda Products has got all the whining out of their system and won't be crying all over the thread any further. I'm much more interested in finding out whether the TapTes is any GOOD. I'm a bit suspicious of the power only ports and wonder why they did it that way. Your usual USB hub chip would be a four port, which would give 5 total ports from the existing two.

And I still don't understand why no one is putting TWO ports inside the hidden area so it that both a TeslaCam and a Music USB drive could be tucked away.

They generally do it by removing the data lines... Not much chance of a data breach if there is an air gap. There are even companies that make adapters that go between a USB cable and port to accomplish the same task.

As a computer security nutter: I'm just as nervous of "charge only" ports as I am of data ports. The USB vulnerabilities that make data-ports dangerous don't go away just because of a sticker that claims the port is power-only.

If one is that paranoid, one can easily use a VOM to check if there is actually continuity on the data pins... But since it costs more to put something in than leave it out, I'm betting they are telling the truth...

My point is that a user has no way of knowing if they ACTUALLY did that, or are just claiming they did. So it makes no difference to the paranoid...

The part that makes me suspicious is that TapTes sells simple power splitter cables, which I own, but they don't work properly with iPhones. I hope these power only ports do.
I have the Taptes splitters and they worked* fine for me - sometimes charging two iPhones simultaneously.

*I replaced them with two Navak splitters in hopes of getting better charging. Haven't been able to fully test them yet to see if they improve on the Taptes.

They generally do it by removing the data lines... Not much chance of a data breach if there is an air gap. There are even companies that make adapters that go between a USB cable and port to accomplish the same task.
Here is the perfect example of CHARGING and DATA isolation. The data D+ and D- lines are connected to DATA port only (J2).
Technically NAVAK splitter can be used in public places as a "data blocker" (CHARGER port only) :)
Capture_1.JPG

I actually have a very similar reader, which DOES work in the Tesla with both cards in it, but I found the throughput (on the PC at least) dropped when two cards were in it (even when accessing only one), and the Tesla can't seem to handle removing and replacing cards without unplugging the reader, so I ended up pulling both cards when I only wanted to update one.

Besides that doesn't help the guy using two USB sticks. I still would like two ports in the hidden space.

Last edited: