Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our goal for 2020 has been to create more products
Given the quality of the hub and Qi charger I received from Jeda, I do look forward to seeing what you have coming down the pike. I just hope that your responsiveness improves as your company grows, because the long shipping times combined with having to chase you down for updates rather than receiving proactive order status updates does grate somewhat. You would also earn points by not charging the customer until the purchased items are actually preparing to ship; patience would take a lot longer to run thin if you adopted that practice if your turnaround times remain slow.

That you are a small American company, giving Americans jobs (even if your components are being manufactured overseas) goes a long way with me for making the price premium more worth it. I recant what I said earlier about recommending the TapTes hub to my friends who are considering a Model 3.

Reactions: tvad
We have never been active on forums, on any social platform. We don't have a facebook. And we have no instagram. The reason for all of those is exactly the same: we haven't have enough staff to support consistent social media management/communications. If our customers need us, we can be reached by email or Twitter DM. We are actively working to hire an extra person to focus on social/comm tasks which is what we are currently working on. Please keep in mind, we've been around for 1.5 years as a company. We're still establishing ourselves in this community, market, and space.

We still do not see this as justification for a competing company to plagiarize and price gouge our products.

On your last sentence, agree it is a sad state of affairs for those trying to innovate and sell great new products. I know very well from experience. It's unfortunate.

But it is what it is and now complaining won't fix it.

To 'fix it' and to be successful you must learn from this. Admit you need to do more for the customer. Build a relationship. Put more direct time into that, regardless of your size. You don't need to hire for that. You likely just need to work harder. I know, I'm sure you are already working really damn hard.

Good luck. Truly. Now I'm off this thread.

@Jeda Products

I think it's a bit disingenuous and possibly slanderous to state that the Tapes version of a USB hub will be inferior in quality to your own.

Both are Made In China. Additionally, no one has recieved their hub from Taptes yet so you don't know. In fact.. no one knows!

Also, to imply that the Taptes version may cause damage to our vehicles because they may or may not have done quality checks is definitely a baseless comment.

Honestly this product is a plastic box with USB ports made probably in the same factory.

I get your upset, but are you really that surprised that this happened?

@Jeda Products
Both are Made In China.

There is a difference between being made in China and where the company that makes the product is located. Do you like having a job? Do you like your friends or family having jobs? When people buy a product from a company located in the country that they live in the money stays in their local economy and gives people jobs where the company is located. So, if you buy a product from a company that is based out of your home country, your money goes to giving jobs to other people in your home country. If you buy a product from a company in another country your money goes to give people jobs in the other country. (And yes.. some of that money goes to taxes that your govt takes). This is nothing new, but it’s good to know about it. I’m not talking about Taptes or Jeda, but more of in general.

Last edited:
Hopefully @Jeda Products has got all the whining out of their system and won't be crying all over the thread any further. I'm much more interested in finding out whether the TapTes is any GOOD. I'm a bit suspicious of the power only ports and wonder why they did it that way. Your usual USB hub chip would be a four port, which would give 5 total ports from the existing two.

And I still don't understand why no one is putting TWO ports inside the hidden area so it that both a TeslaCam and a Music USB drive could be tucked away.

Hopefully @Jeda Products has got all the whining out of their system and won't be crying all over the thread any further. I'm much more interested in finding out whether the TapTes is any GOOD. I'm a bit suspicious of the power only ports and wonder why they did it that way. Your usual USB hub chip would be a four port, which would give 5 total ports from the existing two.

And I still don't understand why no one is putting TWO ports inside the hidden area so it that both a TeslaCam and a Music USB drive could be tucked away.
Send them both an email

Our products are designed in the U.S. The design process takes anywhere from 8 months to 1 year or more (the hub took 9 months) and is design by our team in house. We ship out of California.

I’m from the UK, so you might think I’m not so concerned about US jobs, but “Designed in USA” is a mark of quality to me, and of course us Brits have shared history and solidarity with the US that means we do care about US jobs, and we care about fairness. When I first saw the Jeda Hub, I thought it was a very clever piece of design, but the price held me back, especially as I would be subject to 20% VAT plus import duties, and the product was a ‘nice to have’. I know that $49.99 was just not quite achievable, but based on the comments I have read here and elsewhere, I think you may have made far more sales if you asked for that initially, especially with all the good reviews.

I thank you for supporting the community with innovative products, and I wish you the best of luck with dealing with this issue.

Reactions: jfinephilly
Well hopefully taptes support will be better. My Jeda hub's USB Port where the USB drive attaches is lose, had to try to snug it up myself, but it certainly feels like low quality. The wireless charger won't charge my phone so I think I'm going to try the taptes one.

Jeda stopped contacting me back when I asked to return the charger and spacer and be refunded since it is not compatible with my phone's qi charging and I ended up having to dispute payment.

Currently back to using the stock usb-c cables.

On the Jeda Hub, I do like the magnet being inside the hub and only having to attach the metal piece to the drive, but the loose USB port sucks. S

having your designs stolen, the price comes from the engineering costs I would assume. But as a consumer I want a working product. Probably won't ever order anything from Jeda again.

I feel like I watch enough Shark Tank to know that it's really only a matter of time before any consumer product gets ripped off especially if the manufacturing is being done in China. It's not enough anymore to patent it either, it will still be copied and your company will spend more money and time defending it and can still lose. Fake $1000 Rolexes are made on the exact same equipment now as the $10,000 ones. The only effective way to deal with imitators without being vertically integrated (especially if they are undercutting on price) is to offer a superior (differentiated) product and customer experience.

Reactions: adys123