Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like I need to sell my Jeda Charger and purchase a TapTes Charger.
My Jeda would never charge my phone (pixel 4 XL) it would start and then shut off, but it did fit my phone in a slim case vertically, the Taptes always charges my phone, but it will only fit horizontally. :(

I'd rather the thing actually charge of course :)

My Jeda hub feels cheap (the hub material and fit are great) but the internal USB port is loose and barley holds the USB connector in place. TapTes was not out when I purchased, but I like it when stuff just works and I trust them more than Jeda products now.

Mine just arrived!

Can't wait to use this and clean up the clutter. I ordered on 4/10 and arrived today 4/28, 2.5 weeks so not bad considering the current situation with COVID-19.
IMG_0349.JPG

Well? Data where it should be and nothing useless or extra "just because" It can't overload either port. If it can jam up your computer or electronics it's not worth risking it.
So again, you are describing a USB Hub. I'm still wondering what precisely the aforementioned "Smart Hub" is supposed to be. "Smart" in this field usually implies some sort of intrinsic functionality, typically within the so-called "Internet of Things" demesne, which sounds like something "useless or extra 'just because'"; and I don't think I have heretofore heard of or seen such a USB hub regardless of form factor.

So again, you are describing a USB Hub. I'm still wondering what precisely the aforementioned "Smart Hub" is supposed to be. "Smart" in this field usually implies some sort of intrinsic functionality, typically within the so-called "Internet of Things" demesne, which sounds like something "useless or extra 'just because'"; and I don't think I have heretofore heard of or seen such a USB hub regardless of form factor.

The navak splitter actually has a programmed chip on it.

It actually negotiates on the power port with the connected device to offer an increased charging rate (up to 2.1a), and provides 0.4 amps (and a data connection) to the data port.

That's a smart hub.

A "dumb' hub would just equally split power and data across all ports, and do no negotiation (for example when I used to have an anker dumb 4 port hub in one of the USB ports, you couldn't get more than ~0.9 amps of power on any port).

Got it last week. The Hub is causing one of the 2 USB port in the car to stop working (First time the left port then the right post the second time). Even with the Hub removed the issue persist. I have to reboot the car to bring back the port.

Taptes asked for a video proving the issue. I asked for a return and refund and said that i am not comfortable to connect it back in the car and after a week i am still waiting for a second reply...

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Mine showed up after a month. I ordered it just before the $5 price increase. It seems to work but I had a heck of a time inserting my microsd adapter into the hidden usb port.

I see that the model y version has a real usb hub in it like the jeda and not the power splitter like the model 3 one has. maybe they will update the model 3 version to be the same.

I see that the model y version has a real usb hub in it like the jeda and not the power splitter like the model 3 one has. maybe they will update the model 3 version to be the same.

I don't think that is true -- it appears to just have 6 ports rather than 5 but at its price point, is probably just a splitter as well.

TAPTES Model Y USB Hub, Designed for Tesla Model Y Dashcam & Sentry Mode
TAPTES Model 3 USB Hub, Designed for Tesla Model 3 Dashcam & Sentry Mode

I got one of the first run of flaky units. Got a new one shipped to me no problem which is working fine. If anyone wants the old one to play with let me know. I had some success with it using the plug/unplug/replug 50 times method, but requested a replacement anyway given the questionable quality on the first batch. If anybody wants it for cost of shipping it's better than the landfill.