Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others, I’d love a confirmation whether the Nomad Gen 2 coils can really do 7.5W iPhone Qi charging rate when connected to standard *5V* USB port supplying around 2 amps (such as direct to the Model 3 front USB ports).
The Nomad 2 only pulls 5V at ~1.4A max off the front USB port(s) with a single Qi iPhone XS Max mounted, so it clearly isn't delivering full 7.5W Qi to the iPhone.

The "at 2A" is somewhat meaningless. With typical 5V USB input, these Qi pads are not putting out more than 5W (at least not that I've been able to show, and I've not seen from anybody else either). So the most they could draw from the USB is 1A. It doesn't matter if the USB socket is capable of providing 2, 3, or 100A. It only draws what it needs to make 5W... which is 1A..(I'm ignoring all losses, of course)

A lot of misinformation has been posted, with people claiming that the two must've been made in the same factory. Clearly, they've never tried both products!
So true! Man, when these threads started the arguments of "exact copy" and "total ripoff" were flying around rampant. Nobody wanted to hear that these were different products... because at first glance they appear somewhat similar (plastic housing shaped for the charge shelf, with a T-shape to hold the phones). The items are totally different. One is harder plastic and held together with screws. The other is softer, molded and a different profile. The main similarity- they basically work in an identical fashion because I'm all but certain they have similar Qi pucks enclosed in plastic.

Anyway... I had one of the first Nomads (well two of them) and they both died early and were returned (the USB cables were also too short, making them difficult to plug in). My Taptes finally arrived today. And yes it took some fiddling to satisfy my OCD tendencies (I beveled the top edge, installed the rubber nubbins in the correct location (why doesn't it come with the feet molded in??) and then stuck some foam between the removable bar (the factory Tesla part that holds the charge cable in) and the lowest edge of the charge pad. This foam holds the pad down tight to the shelf, and prevents all rattling. Works like a champ. Consumes 5W from a 5V USB outlet... as long as the outlet is capable of 1A. Some of that 5W gets into the phone via magic.

It looks good enough. It works well enough. I'm done screwing around with these things. Until the market catches up with max charge rates for our phones from typical USB outlets... this will do.

Anybody have issues with using Waze while charging? I have a iPhone X and Waze navigation doesn’t work properly when my phone is laying on the Tapates charger. Instead of a directional arrow, it’s a dot. The dot moves but it’s choppy like navigating using a web browser instead of an app. When I remove my phone from the charger Waze starts to work properly again.

Anybody have issues with using Waze while charging? I have a iPhone X and Waze navigation doesn’t work properly when my phone is laying on the Tapates charger. Instead of a directional arrow, it’s a dot. The dot moves but it’s choppy like navigating using a web browser instead of an app. When I remove my phone from the charger Waze starts to work properly again.
Works fine on my Pixel 3 daily

The tricky part is the passthru feature. @buddhra may know of lower capacity options. He did a lot of research in this atea...

I've yet to find the perfect pack that has all 4 features:

1) At least 2 USB ports
2) Pass-through (simultaneous charge & discharge)
3) No power button or switch
4) Quickcharge 2.0/3.0

The one @Kbra linked has the first 3 and works great for fast wired charging, but only supports 5W wireless charging. It's a little larger than is necessary, but it fits fine in the space and I'm not carrying it around anyway, so that's what I'm using.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales and Kbra

Attachments

• 3BF10C31-0F5D-4D4D-8E7F-B8C71097B3B4.png
    3BF10C31-0F5D-4D4D-8E7F-B8C71097B3B4.png
    552.3 KB · Views: 90