TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Taptes new wireless charging pad

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gilscales, Oct 21, 2018.

1. DocRob

DocRob New Member

I am not sure how you confirmed fast charging. My USB meter showed a maximum of approximately 9V 1A draw, total 9W with Samsung7+. The wireless pad will output less. More power than using the USB port but less than directly plugging the phone in.

2. kmaluo

kmaluo Member

My Galaxy S9+ said it was fast wireless charging. But the power source was a Quick Charge 12V plug. Thus I need to conceal a wire back to the 12V socket.

3. Pgetzen

Pgetzen Member

Just installed my Taptes wireless charging pad this weekend. As others have noted, when you use the attached adhesive pads, it doesn’t move and works like a charm. Highly recommend!

4. lnkcrb82r3z2g4

I received my pad today and can confirm an iPhone XS Max with a popsocket and thin Ringke case will charge wirelessly. The only issue is the bottom lip is too shallow and the phone slides down.

5. smak

smak Member

I really like mine. Much better than what I was doing before.

I can't possibly see how somebody can get away with charging double this price.

• Like x 1
  6. smak

smak Member

I didn't really look at the adhesive pads yet. Is it obvious where each one goes?

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Agree. Looks like a Twin of the Nomad system, which charges more than twice this $ amount.
    They need to work on their Website English (translations) tho.

8. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Interesting. I haven’t upgraded my phone yet to the X[r], so still relying on the Lightning connection, but looking to do so soon, and getting this pad possibly. But about WAZE, that interference would be interesting, if messes up WAZE, I would think it would mess up all other map direction apps too. Bigger outcry from the community about it?

I used to live and die by WAZE, with my nearly hour long commute each each way - crossing PDX to the far side of Vancouver WA... but I’ve found the accuracy of the built in Tesla Nav is 98- 99% as good in picking optimal routes as WAZE. Tesla’s nav is certainly better at predicting arrival times (more stable). Plus I love the Tesla map screen size and just how fluid it is with zoom ins, rotations, etc. The only thing I miss is knowing where police, cars on shoulder, or road hazards have been flagged.

9. whatthe2

whatthe2 Member

No. Use the Tesla pad and flip it over backwards on the TapTes to line it up with the correct placement. That way you can line up the pads correctly.

10. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

I doubt it's interference. I tried using Apple Maps a few times before I had the Taptes and it was spotty as well. Probably the phone doesn't "see" the GPS satellites well enough down in the phone bay.
    Try Tesla Waze on the in-car browser. I don't run it all the time, but sometimes use it to check what's ahead when the Tesla map shows major congestion.

• Like x 1
  11. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yep! I use Tesla Waze occasionally, exactly as you, just a quick scan before, or as I get going.

12. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

I have the Taptes and an iphone Xs. I don't know what everyone is concerned about with charge speed. My phone charges faster than it ever did plugged in via usb in my previous car. In fact, I used to lose charge while plugged in and using pandora or Waze. Now, I gain charge. And, it's pretty fast. Save all the hand wringing over exactly how many amps and watts. It charges phones, and does it pretty well.

13. Kbra

Kbra Member

Tesla Waze is legit.

• Informative x 1
  14. SION1771

SION1771 Member

I bought one of these January 4 after reading this thread. It arrived 1/16.

My Note 9 with a case barely fits in there (really tall), but with a push, it's locked in. I'm seldom in the car long enough to get a solid read of the charging graph, but from the 45 minutes I had it on yesterday, it looks like it charges pretty darned fast (not as fast as QC). I'm very happy with everything overall. I'll need to tape it down, as it rocks a little bit, just like everyone else is saying.

15. mark273

mark273 Member

just an fyi, heard that jedi is launching a second generation charging pad which has better features than both. not sure what the price will be but the leaked photos are amazing. seems to support landscape charging too

16. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

Pretty sure it will be the same price as the first version, i.e. twice as expensive as the Taptes (since Jeda notified some customers that they'll receive the new one on their existing order without offering any refunds). I agree though that it looks like the best design so far, not just because of the horizontal option but also because you can pass through the wired charging plug on one of the sides (which is useful e.g. if your passenger's phone doesn't support wireless charging). But for me personally it would still not be worth the price difference.

17. mark273

mark273 Member

well i ordered one because the $50 difference is essentially the equivalent to a meal out for me, and if I'm gonna be stuck using something everyday i want to have it be something i thoroughly enjoy. plus my wife and son both have non-qi compatible phones, so the wired charging is what convinced her this would be a good addition for both. also.... i just don't like the idea of adhesive or stickies being used. which is why i initially didnt order the jeda, and i know taptes has this.

taptes is cheap, but i've been told you get what you pay for. i've heard it slides around, it's not as grippy on the surface, and worst of all
    i've heard that the taptes has issues with GPS being used on it while charging, like there's intereference on google maps and waze. problematic as i use waze when i do long drives

18. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

It doesn't slide around. You can wiggle it by a few millimeters with your hand, and even that can be eliminated by attaching the included felt tabs on the back side. The surface is plenty grippy and the GPS issues some had are very likely not related to the charging pad but rather the position far down in the car with no line of sight to the satellites (I had the same issues without any charging pad in my car). The overall quality is just fine, it looks like a stock part of the car.

Bottomline, it's fine if you want to buy the Jeda due to the landscape and cable pass-through options, but the Taptes works perfectly fine for what it is as well.

19. SION1771

SION1771 Member

Mine doesn't slide around at all. It fits so tight I had to remove the lip timet to get it in. I just don't want it coming up, which is why I'm adhering it.