Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not pulling your leg, just trying to get past the binding
I experience when I open the top access door as described
by others in this thread? several discussed beveling the
taptes top edge, have you done that with yours?
if so, what technique did you use and how were your results?
No I did not because it wasn't necessary. I still doubt that your pad is different from anybody else's, but if you post the exact height of your pad I'll remove mine and measure it so we can determine if there actually is a difference.

If your pad is different, I'd recommend to contact Taptes. If it is not different, I can only conclude that you overlooked something when installing it (you did remove the stock charging cables, right?). In no case would I start filing off the plastic. You will likely not be able to make the surface look seamless.

No I did not because it wasn't necessary. I still doubt that your pad is different from anybody else's, but if you post the exact height of your pad I'll remove mine and measure it so we can determine if there actually is a difference.

If your pad is different, I'd recommend to contact Taptes. If it is not different, I can only conclude that you overlooked something when installing it (you did remove the stock charging cables, right?). In no case would I start filing off the plastic. You will likely not be able to make the surface look seamless.

I’m really sorry you doubt that my taptes pad is binding,
as others have had same experience in this thread...

I’m also sorry your pointing this discussion into areas
such as not removing the tesla wired charging cable?

but this conversation is merely burying the question I’ve
been asking in a thread where others have experienced
binding and have contemplated beveling the edge to avoid,
so I’ll sidestep your future directions unless they’re related
to the problem I and others have experienced.

so, I’ll ask again, has anyone attempted this? if so what
technique do you use? we’re your results satisfactory?

so, I’ll ask again, has anyone attempted this? if so what
technique do you use? we’re your results satisfactory?
I'd posted this before a while back.

Yes, I've beveled the edge, and yes it is satisfactory. I used a carbide sanding block (any sanding block will do) starting with 60 grit, and ending with 250 grit to smooth it up. There is tons of material on that edge. There's nothing magic about this, and nothing to worry about that I can see.

I'd posted this before a while back.

Yes, I've beveled the edge, and yes it is satisfactory. I used a carbide sanding block (any sanding block will do) starting with 60 grit, and ending with 250 grit to smooth it up. There is tons of material on that edge. There's nothing magic about this, and nothing to worry about that I can see.

sorry I missed your post on results!
and thanks for replying...

approx how much material did you bevel off?

I put in a Taptes charging pad about a week ago and it also doesn’t have any issues with opening and closing. There’s a small gap, wonder if they are smaller than earlier versions now?
Doubt it. I received mine last year, so it's likely from the first production run. It matches the dimensions specified on the Taptes web site:

eTDySRQ.jpg

Doubt it. I received mine last year, so it's likely from the first production run. It matches the dimensions specified on the Taptes web site:

eTDySRQ.jpg
I orignally thought they meant it hits when closing the top lid, which clears fine. But it’s when you lift the charging lid up it rubs on the top lid. Mine hits but doesn’t bother me. Sounds like sanding is a good solution for those that it bothers.

Edit: really relying to @davekr who quoted my post of me posting it worked fine. I stand corrected.

I orignally thought it hit when closing the top lid, which clears fine. But it’s when you lift the charging lid up it rubs on the top lid. Mine hits but doesn’t bother me. Sounds like sanding is a good solution for those that it bothers.
Yep. That's what everyone (well, almost) is seeing. The top lid opens/closes fine, but if you lift up the tray with the pad while the top lid is open they rub against each other (lower top lid and lift them together to avoid).

my issue is that in addition to raising the tray,
just moving the top access door independently,
as in putting a phone on pad to charge, binds
when fully open.

regardless of the manufactured size taptes debate,
or thoughts that tesla wired cables weren’t removed
prior to fitting taptes, I still have binding when fully
opening the access door, and will be taking the dremel
to the edge when time permits, I just wanted to know
without disassembling the taptes how far I could go?

No issues for me. I was gonna take a photo with them on top of each other but they're identical in height so there's no good way to do that.

Instead, here they are side by side. My guess is there were production issues more recent
20190120_213145.jpg
ly resolved? Received mine last week.

From their website -
  • Support one side (left or right) working mode, the other side as phone rest area in case wireless charging not needed, support only 1 USB input, useful for Tesla V9 update or reserve a USB port for dash cam, charge only 1 phone by 1 USB input, charge 2 phones simultaneously by 2 USB input, support mix input, 1 Model 3 front USB + 1 power bank USB input
Just to confirm, does this support 2 phones for charging? The way they've worded this is a bit confusing

From their website -
  • Support one side (left or right) working mode, the other side as phone rest area in case wireless charging not needed, support only 1 USB input, useful for Tesla V9 update or reserve a USB port for dash cam, charge only 1 phone by 1 USB input, charge 2 phones simultaneously by 2 USB input, support mix input, 1 Model 3 front USB + 1 power bank USB input
Just to confirm, does this support 2 phones for charging? The way they've worded this is a bit confusing

It supports two phones if you connect both USB cables.

what do you mean when you say binding? like it's not sticking or it's bending or warping?

after installing the taptes pad,
when the top access door is opened
fully to allow placing of phone on pad,
the top edge of the access door catches
or binds the taptes pad and pushes it
down, forcing it out of the pad resting
position.

top door doesn't touch or bind unless
the door is fully up/opened.

after installing the taptes pad,
when the top access door is opened
fully to allow placing of phone on pad,
the top edge of the access door catches
or binds the taptes pad and pushes it
down, forcing it out of the pad resting
position.

top door doesn't touch or bind unless
the door is fully up/opened.

I have iPhone XS Max with otter box symmetry. This charger works awesomely. I can open or shut the magnetic doors no problem. No reverse engineering. No tape no problems. Works perfectly. Front camera record as well. Only issue: close the cover and don’t see phone and leave car with key (the phone) still inside. Always forget that.

I have iPhone XS Max with otter box symmetry. This charger works awesomely. I can open or shut the magnetic doors no problem. No reverse engineering. No tape no problems. Works perfectly. Front camera record as well. Only issue: close the cover and don’t see phone and leave car with key (the phone) still inside. Always forget that.
Same for me... No issues with the Taptes pad... works perfectly with my iPhone X... Just have to remember to take the phone with me when I exit the car..