Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Razerphone 2 wireless charging is not working with taptes. But this not a manufacturer issue. It is because my phone has the coil not in the middle of the phone but slightly downward. And it's size (plus case) make it too big to fit on the taptes.
But taptes did put a usb-c cable (smart move there) so I can charge my phone.
Didn't experienced any issue with latest update.

Installed the TapTess Gen 2 a few days ago and it seems to be working fine with iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 11. I also used the provided splitter for the Samsung T5 SSD which also seems to be working as it should with Senty enabled (although haven't checked to see if the Dash Cam video is getting recorded when the car is moving which has never happened consistently even before I adding the TapTess most likely due to the buggy Tesla Dash Cam software). In the vertical orientation, you do have to position the phone so the edge is pretty much on the center line right against the charge light, if the phone is positioned slightly off to the side (but still completely on the pad) the charge light will not come on. It's a vast improvement over having to try and plug in the lightning cables in the front tray which never seemed to fit right (especially if you have a case). Don't know how much juice the TapTess is giving the iPhone, but assume its limited to 5W due to Apple software restrictions.

Dash Cam Icon.jpg
Installed the TapTess Gen 2 a few days ago and it seems to be working fine with iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 11. I also used the provided splitter for the Samsung T5 SSD which also seems to be working as it should with Senty enabled (although haven't checked to see if the Dash Cam video is getting recorded when the car is moving which has never happened consistently even before I adding the TapTess most likely due to the buggy Tesla Dash Cam software). In the vertical orientation, you do have to position the phone so the edge is pretty much on the center line right against the charge light, if the phone is positioned slightly off to the side (but still completely on the pad) the charge light will not come on. It's a vast improvement over having to try and plug in the lightning cables in the front tray which never seemed to fit right (especially if you have a case). Don't know how much juice the TapTess is giving the iPhone, but assume its limited to 5W due to Apple software restrictions.

Have just confirmed my suspicion. Installing the TapTes Gen 2 wireless charger pad using the provided USB splitter disables the Tesla Dash Cam (ref. icon you should see on screen for the Dash Cam that disappears once your connect the TapTess). Sentry mode still works as it should. I confirmed this by disconnecting one side of the TapTess and plugged the Samsung SSD directly back into the USB port and the Dash Cam icon appeared again. That's not good news that installing the TapTess wireless charging pad disables the Tesla Dash Cam. I'll report this to TapTess as well as relevant forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: goletaspring
View attachment 486206

Have just confirmed my suspicion. Installing the TapTess Gen 2 wireless charger pad using the provided USB splitter disables the Tesla Dash Cam (ref. icon you should see on screen for the Dash Cam that disappears once your connect the TapTess). Sentry mode still works as it should. I confirmed this by disconnecting one side of the TapTess and plugged the Samsung SSD directly back into the USB port and the Dash Cam icon appeared again. That's not good news that installing the TapTess wireless charging pad disables the Tesla Dash Cam. I'll report this to TapTess as well as relevant forums.

It's working fine for me, though I'm using a thumb drive rather than a SSD.

Could be an issue specifically when using the Samsung T5 SSD (which may apply to all SSD's) which I believe do require more power. Anyone else using a Samsung T5 SSD (or any SSD) experiencing this issue?
Although it doesn't really make sense that this is a power issue related to SSD drives, Taptes and Tesla Dash Cam as Sentry Mode is working fine?

I have the taptes Gen 2, the T5 SSD and got all icons. Recordings are fine too.
It can happen that cables have defects, change them if that the case and/or check if your SSD is correctly plugged in.
First time I installed it, it didn't show up. Second time I tried, it was fine.
Thanks, I did what you suggested (swapped the cable splitter input going to the Samsung T5) and the Dash Cam icon reappeared on the screen. This is a bit of mystery as as I mentioned, Sentry Mode was working fine and I could see the light was on on the T5 so it was clearly getting power and plugged in correctly. I guess the suppliedUSB splitter I/O must be flaky. I’ll keep checking to make sure the icon continues to show up on the display. Thanks again !

Thanks, I did what you suggested (swapped the cable splitter input going to the Samsung T5) and the Dash Cam icon reappeared on the screen. This is a bit of mystery as as I mentioned, Sentry Mode was working fine and I could see the light was on on the T5 so it was clearly getting power and plugged in correctly. I guess the suppliedUSB splitter I/O must be flaky. I’ll keep checking to make sure the icon continues to show up on the display. Thanks again !

Be advised, only one side of the taptes splitter is for data and power. Plug a device in the thin side of the cable and you will have no data.

Be advised, only one side of the taptes splitter is for data and power. Plug a device in the thin side of the cable and you will have no data.
Thank you. Your absolutely correct. This was my error on the install. I did read the manual but the instructions didn't click that the thin splitter cable is for the power only and the thicker one is for Dash Cam, Music and USB Charging. There is nothing wrong with the Taptes Gen 2 Wireless charging Pad and its working fine with the Samsung T5 if you plug it in to the thicker cable.