Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They kept emphasizing how the v1 looks better and is good enough for most people (in terms of anti slip), which makes me think twice about waiting for v2. I have to admit I prefer the matte look since my console is wrapped. Decision...

They kept emphasizing how the v1 looks better and is good enough for most people (in terms of anti slip), which makes me think twice about waiting for v2. I have to admit I prefer the matte look since my console is wrapped. Decision...

I may be totally mistaken, but my understanding was that there are in fact three versions, V1: no anti-slip, V2: matte anti-slip, and “V2.5”: glossy anti-slip for Track Mode.

Do you have confirmation that matte anti-slip is indeed the V1?

I may be totally mistaken, but my understanding was that there are in fact three versions, V1: no anti-slip, V2: matte anti-slip, and “V2.5”: glossy anti-slip for Track Mode.

Do you have confirmation that matte anti-slip is indeed the V1?
Should be just v1 and v2. See the 2 emails below. My understanding is that Gen2 is the "more" anti-slip one. I am guessing it's like the sticky gel-like material hence it's glossy and attract dust. They sent the 2nd email to confirm that it's really what I want. I might go with matte.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for shopping with TAPTES. This is Tina. Hope you are doing great!

I'm happy to inform you that we are about to ship your order of wireless charger for Model 3. Here is one last thing we would like to confirm.

If you enjoy the feeling of turn left/right aggressively, maybe TAPTES generation 2 will be a better choice for you. Otherwise, generation 1 will be OK.

There is no aesthetic difference between the two generations, generation 2 will use materials that have better anti-slip performance on its surface, generation 2 is the same price as generation 1.

You may refer to the video on our product page (scroll down to description area), there is a start/brake/turn left/right simulation of generation 1 product, you may get a better understanding. Product page link: Wireless Phone Charger / Pad for Tesla Model 3 .

Generation 1 can be shipped today if got your Email confirmation shortly. Estimate shipping date for generation 2 will be Nov. 30th.

Please reply to this email if generation 1 is OK for you or you would like wait for generation 2.

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience, Tina again.

We have developed a more anti-slip version, but a few things we would like you to know:

1. By applying a more anti-slip material on its surface, the improved anti-slip charger has a shiny appearance, as shown in the attached picture "1";

2. The more anti-slip charger will catch fingerprints and dust easily, which may make your charger looks dirty as shown in the attached picture"2";

We had a vote inside our team, almost all members wanted the matte charger which looks more elegant and will not catch fingerprints and dust. According to the feedback of Model 3 owners who have received the matte charger, its anti-slip performance is OK since most phones are using with phone cases and your phone will not move unless you turn left/right aggressively and at the same time press the accelerator very hard.

You may check the matte charger through this video:

You may check this video of the more anti-slip charger: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1kmugklzgog61o/TapTes Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model 3 Anti-Slip.mp4?dl=0 .

We would recommend the matte charger, but the final choice is on you. We will start to assemble and ship after have your decision.

Looking forward to your reply.

If you have any question on these two versions, please feel free to contact me. :)

3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
So has anyone actually received a Taptes wireless pad?
It ain't cheaper or better if you can't get it.
Yes, see below.

Did anyone get their charger yet????
Yes, see below.

Received my Nomad last week - it was actually killing the USB ports on my car. It worked for a few seconds and then would draw too much power from the USB ports (and stopped functioning). Contact support last week and I am still waiting for them to ship out a replacement. Will see how the replacement goes...otherwise I am returning it for a Jeda.
We appear to have exactly two hands-on experiences now. This one that's bad.

Update on my order. I got mine in the mail out of the blue. It looks nice, installed well and works good. I am happy with it. I now would recommend it.
And this one that's good.

Personally, I've been yanked around by Nomad all that I'd like to be yanked. Two faulty units out of the gate. Returned a month ago, and replacements aren't due now for yet another month. Defective X2, and two months for replacement. Not giving me the warm-fuzzies about "you get what you pay for."

So tempted to give up and go back to my cables. :sigh:

Meantime why have I heard this rumor about Tesla making their own charging pad? Where does this "info" come from?

I replied to the same thread on Model 3 Owners forum, so I'm just going to copy my reply here. I think I'm going to stick with Nomad.

Just noticed their FAQ section:

Wireless Phone Charger / Pad for Tesla Model 3 FAQ

1. Q: Can the Tesla Model 3 charger/pad be plugged into a 12V cigarette lighter adapter? If so, what is the power output (W)?

A: The wireless charger can be plugged into a 12 V cigarette lighter adapter make sure the lighter is output either in 5V or 9V, if 5V *2A, the max wireless charger output is 5W, if 9V*2A, max output is 10W, if it is dual 9V*2A, then will be max dual 10W output, also the output will depend on your phone.

Kindly make sure the wireless charger USB cable have enough length reach your adapter as Model 3 cigarette lighter is at another place, not the front USB position, the design USB length of the wireless charger is only 35CM.

2. Q: On your Model 3 wireless charger, can it be used with just one side setup to charge? I don't want to charge every time I'm in the car, so I'd like to set it up to not charge on the left and charge on the right. I'll just move the phone to the right if I ever need the charge.

A: To not charge on the left and charge on the right, please simply plug the right USB cable and do not plug the left USB cable.

3. Q: Regarding your wireless charger for the Model 3. I understand that with the latest software upgrade in the Model 3, the USB ports now output 10 watts of power. Does that mean that your base model $49 charger will fast charge an iPhone Xs, or do I still need to get the fast charging module?

A: Fast charging depends on the voltage. According to QC3.0, the charging protocol our wireless charger has applied, if the voltage is 9v, then fast charging can be achieved. In this case, if the voltage of the Model 3 USB port doesn't change, you may still need to get the fast charging module.

4. Q: will it be capable of fast charging a samsung galaxy s8? and if i got the normal charger, can i just add any qc3.0 battery to make it fast charging?

A: The wireless charger with the external powerbank will charge at 10W for each side so it can not fast charge samsung galaxy s8. To add qc3.0 battery to make the normal charger fast charging, please make sure the battery's output is more than 9 vottage.

5. Q: Is the fast charge battery for the Model 3 charging pad a passthrough powerbank or does it need to be regularly charged?

A: The fast charge battery for Model 3 charging pad needs to be charged regularly.

-----

This seems to be inferior to the Nomad, which can charge iPhones at 7.5W. The Standard TapTes can only charge iPhone at 5W from the front USB ports, since they only supply 5V. The Fast Charge TapTes relies on an external battery that has a Qualcomm QC port, which can supply 9V. However, the FAQ states that the battery is not a pass-through design. This means you cannot use the battery while it's being charged, which means you must manually charge it periodically.

Great information, but I never need my car charger to fast charge and all the comparison tests of 5w charging vs 7.5w fast charging is not significant enough speed increase to justify paying an additional $80 for the Nomad charger.