Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Roof Rack Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all:

Saw a previous thread on slow or shady experiences with Taptes. With my new account here I can't reply there so I figured I'd put together of my newly received Taptes Roof Rack. Will follow up as I hear more from Taptes.

Summary:

✧✧✧✧✧ 0 Stars!

I've been looking for a roof rack I can use for boards, maybe bikes, and other small items. My main concern is being able to remove the roof rack as I'm unlikely to use it more than 5% of the time. The Tesla brand roof rack has proven itself efficient - but every percentage counts when you roadtrip as much as I do. So I was excited to see the Taptes offering - seems to be hand-tight clasps on the roofline that help secure pads which bear the weight and are - crucially - removable. It's possible this setup is less secure than the Tesla mounting system (though there are reasons to doubt the strength of that rack too) but for my needs being able to easily remove the rack is #1.

Ordered May 24. $209.99 with shipping included - not bad. When checking out I'm informed there are two shipping options and my rack will be shipping from California, rather than Hong Kong - again seems like a win.

Received package June 1. Package showed up with parts hanging out, very poor condition, excess tape to make up for a clearly failing box. My wife's reaction: "It looks like stuff has probably fallen out".

Opened up and found she was right on the money - at least three critical parts missing, maybe more.

Installation: not possible. Of the 4 clamps needed to secure the rack only one was included in the package.

Really disappointed here, and feeling scammed. Will post updates here as they occur. I'm hoping Taptes will respond to my three inquiries so far. If they're willing to ship like this I don't have tons of hope. Would welcome insight from anyone who has dealt with them.

Will post lots of pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_5508.jpeg
    IMG_5508.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5506.jpeg
    IMG_5506.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_5497.jpeg
    IMG_5497.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5500.jpeg
    IMG_5500.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_5498.jpeg
    IMG_5498.jpeg
    623.3 KB · Views: 214
It's possible. But I'm pretty skeptical. If FedEx managed to mangle the box that badly they must have then attempted to tape it back up (see 5501). Further the instructions included are in terrible shape (see 5507) - the only way I could see FedEx having done that is if the directions somehow came out of the package and got further damage before being put back in. It is possible. Will update when (if?) I hear back from Taptes.

I should mention my first few attempts to call Taptes using the contact information they list "Phone: (888) 323-0068 (EST Time: 7 PM - 9 AM)" sent me to a dead line. I just attempted to confirm and the call went through and I was able to leave a voicemail.

Ya, that's a result of shipping. If you've ever seen how stuff gets thrown around in shipping you'd be surprised anything at all makes it to its destination intact. Source: former UPS loader.
Honestly, the damage and missing pieces could be the result of shipping. The real test now will be how Taptes handles your problem.

Well sounds like there's growing consensus on this. It'd be nice if Taptes was more responsive but it's only been a couple hours - I can't hold that against them.

Their site is clear on this issue:

If your item arrived damaged/defective, please send us a very clear picture or video of the damaged through Email to [email protected] and give us 6 business days for us to file a claim with the carrier. Once it's approved, we would send you a brand new replacement. If your item arrived is defective and you want to request a refund or a replacement, simply send an Email to [email protected] within 7 days of delivery with picture or video of the damaged. We will issue your request as soon as receiving your email.
So I will pump the brakes for a bit here and see how this is handled.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Taptes. I've placed multiple orders from them and all arrived fine, actually sooner than expected most times given it came from HK. But I've had a few packages damaged in transit like your photos show. It's the shipper that tapes it back up, and is accompanied by a sticker indicating as such.

Thread title is very misleading as you haven't even tested the product yet.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Taptes. I've placed multiple orders from them and all arrived fine, actually sooner than expected most times given it came from HK. But I've had a few packages damaged in transit like your photos show. It's the shipper that tapes it back up, and is accompanied by a sticker indicating as such.

Thread title is very misleading as you haven't even tested the product yet.

Not looking to mislead - will be completing the review when (if?) I can. Glad to hear of your positive experiences.

I got an email response from Taptes yesterday AM, quoted below. Responded with my order number. Nothing since that. Hoping it's a shipping issue and they will resolve. I'm in the middle of moving so I don't look forward to the confusion that an address change will bring.

[email protected] <[email protected]>
Tue, Jun 2, 7:27 AM (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi _mentor,

I'm sorry about it, could you please tell us your order number?

Best regards

Anna
Customer Service Team
TAPTES - Tesla Aftermarket Accessorries
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +852 3050-6756 8:30AM-6:00PM(UTC+8)​

Very interested to hear how you get on with Taptes sorting your problem as I am currently still waiting for delivery of a set of floor mats that I ordered on 01/01. They told me a few weeks ago that they had shipped from Czech warehouse but had been returned there by the shipping company. No reason for this was given and I am still waiting for confirmation that they have re-shipped them to me.

Also interested in your review of their roof rack as I need to order a rack for my M3.