Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes USB-c hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to successfully install the Taptes USB c hub for newer Model 3s that have the wireless charger?

I tried watching a couple of videos and they suggest sliding it down and then pushing it back, but it just wedges itself towards the bottom of the console. I am bothered about scratching the lining of the console as it takes some force to get it out once it is wedged. There must be a knack to it. Any tips or I am going to sell it. :mad:

Cant recall about worrying in regards to scratches. It is fiddly and you might think you will break it trying to push it in!

Remove the magnetic door as it will be easier to handle... let it rest at the bottom and angled touching the back also. guesstimate the distance of the protruding connectors and tilt the bottom away from the back whilst still touching the bottom as to get the connectors to go in straight.... then push in keeping it straight (not angling). I it is a bit reluctant to go in and you might want to do it holding on to a crucifix :confused:

It's definitely a snug fit. I tried a few different 'approach paths' and got there in the end, but it was a bit of a faff.

Obviously you need to make sure the final part of installation is parallel to the plugs, but prior to that, I recall it being a different path and angle to get it in.

Could I take a link for the usb-c hub from you? All I can see is the USB-A version for <July 2020 M3s.

Is there a decent alternative?

I’ve ordered one of these:

Jeda Products | Tesla Model 3 USB Hub for Sentry Mode, Dashcam, and Storage

They get decent write ups for their kit. However, they are a small company that have been swamped with orders and haven’t managed to keep up so there are quite a few complaints at the moment but they have just sent emails out to say the next batch is ready and are going to be shipped shortly.

I’ve only just ordered mine but have received the email as well.

I’ve ordered a bunch of other stuff, but with a couple of places including Jeda, I’m not expecting fast delivery after researching the companies. I can’t see me doing too much mileage until next year so delays don’t worry me too much.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
Thanks, Stuart,

Taking into account the experiences of this thread, I went with the Jeda hub for £75 delivered using coupon code "jeda10".

upload_2020-9-29_13-44-14.png

Reactions: Stuart1714
Really wish I could have replied to this earlier and steered you away from Jeda, they are the absolute pits. They've basically stolen my money as after several delays of them not meeting the shipping dates they promised I asked for a refund, then they just ignored my emails (sent several, all ignored).

This was back in June of this year. I've had to get my bank involved to try and get the refund as they refuse to acknowledge me.

Small company excuse doesn't work I'm afraid, they are quick to reply before you ask for a refund and they keep twitter updated instead of replying to you.

• Informative
Really wish I could have replied to this earlier and steered you away from Jeda, they are the absolute pits. They've basically stolen my money as after several delays of them not meeting the shipping dates they promised I asked for a refund, then they just ignored my emails (sent several, all ignored).

This was back in June of this year. I've had to get my bank involved to try and get the refund as they refuse to acknowledge me.

Small company excuse doesn't work I'm afraid, they are quick to reply before you ask for a refund and they keep twitter updated instead of replying to you.

Argh! I think I am literally bad luck.

You will get your hub eventually and from what I've heard it will be good quality, but it won't be quick!

Just a horrendous company to deal with, them being slow I could deal with, them ignoring me and hoping the problem will go away is just low, loads of similar reports on Reddit too, so it's not just a one off.

TapTes are cheaper, they reply to your emails and deal with things, they are sending me a replacement for my Hub Pro (original hub never had an issue) as I noticed one of the ports had failed.

Give them a few weeks to see what happens. As I said, there had been a few complaints but I and others had an email a week ago saying they are starting to ship in 2 weeks.

I’m not expecting my order to arrive in a couple of weeks as there will be loads of people with earlier orders since June when the Model 3 went to USB-C so I’d expect these orders to be fulfilled first. I know I wouldn’t be impressed if somebody took my cash in June, couldn’t give a delivery date and delivered a product in October. I may have tried to get my cash back as well.

They now seem better placed to deliver a product than in June, which is why I ordered it.

I guess I’m used to it though as I’ve bought bits and pieces on crowd funding platforms and delivery dates are rarely met.

Give them a few weeks to see what happens. As I said, there had been a few complaints but I and others had an email a week ago saying they are starting to ship in 2 weeks.

I’m not expecting my order to arrive in a couple of weeks as there will be loads of people with earlier orders since June when the Model 3 went to USB-C so I’d expect these orders to be fulfilled first. I know I wouldn’t be impressed if somebody took my cash in June, couldn’t give a delivery date and delivered a product in October. I may have tried to get my cash back as well.

They now seem better placed to deliver a product than in June, which is why I ordered it.

I guess I’m used to it though as I’ve bought bits and pieces on crowd funding platforms and delivery dates are rarely met.

I didn't realise Jeda's hub was a prototype, but they do say, 'preorder' and 'October' on their order page.

I have the original Taptes hub with 2 USB-A ports. No complaints, works entirely as expected and tidies up all the splitters I had in that area before. Sure they maybe copied Jeda's original idea, but that's life.

Also this new Amazon/Ring thing looks like it'll replace both as well when it comes out.

I didn't realise Jeda's hub was a prototype, but they do say, 'preorder' and 'October' on their order page.

They previously had a USB-A only hub and this is the newer version for USB-C. It’s more of the initial production run than a prototype.

If they are doing USB-C properly and Tesla is feeding higher input to the hub, the electronics will be completely different. Also the Jeda one does have an extra USB port than most of the others I’ve seen.

Just received my Taptes Hub and wireless Charging pad.

I haven't installed them yet but pleased with the build of both.

I didn't find the information on the website very clear and kept wondering what I was going to get.

The new wireless charger uses just one port (USB C). I think this is good and hope I still get decent charge speeds on both sides.

The Hub has 2 USB C ports and 2 USB A ports (can be seen on the website)
What isn't provided on the website but is included in the hub is that the USB C on the left has an output of 9V, 3A max but the other ports including the hidden port have a total of 5V 2A.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to successfully install the Taptes USB c hub for newer Model 3s that have the wireless charger?

I tried watching a couple of videos and they suggest sliding it down and then pushing it back, but it just wedges itself towards the bottom of the console. I am bothered about scratching the lining of the console as it takes some force to get it out once it is wedged. There must be a knack to it. Any tips or I am going to sell it. :mad:

Did you ever get the hub installed? I've installed mine. I tried the technique shown in the video on Taptes and after about 5 mins and being worried I was going to damage my ports I stopped and tried other ways.

What worked for me was putting it the top as far back as I could but leaving space for my finger to feel around behind it. I then slid it down (some force might be needed) When it's as low as possible, using your fingers, align the ports and then push the hub backwards in.

I'd say give it another try before selling.

I got my Model 3 today and had the Taptes hub ready to go in. It is definitely a tight fit, but I got it in after some firm manoeuvring.

I can’t say exactly what worked for me but I tried moving it up/down a few mm.