Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes USB-c hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent tried again, but tempted to give it another go and trying some of the suggested techniques. Another reason I haven't rushed out to try it is that my ssd enclosure doesn't fit so I need to get a new USB device first. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Argh! I think I am literally bad luck.

Over on the Model Y forum, reports are now coming in of the first production deliveries of the Jeda USB hub for the Model Y and the Model 3 post June and possibly before the refresh.

There have been loads of missed deadlines, but it does finally look like the product is shipping. The other thread has a lot of understandable anger in it as some people paid their money as far back as April and it’s only just shipping after receiving the first of two shipping containers from the manufacturers, presumably in China.

It’s a small company and maybe they should have used crowd funding to bring new products to market so people knew back in April that it’s not a completed product ready to go.

I guess that ours may not appear for at least another 3 or 4 weeks as I don’t know if the second container with the later orders has been received yet.

Has anyone managed to successfully install the Taptes USB c hub for newer Model 3s that have the wireless charger?

First question are you talking about the handful of 2020 models with the standard console since 2018 but the change to one USB-C that included the Tesla charger or the 2021 models the new refreshed console and built in charger?

Last edited:
Purchased both the Jeda and TapTes hives for two different 3’s.

I’ve had communication and major delivery issues with both. I will say both were doing the pandic so that I’m sure didn’t help. Both offer similar functionality. Jeda is much more expensive. According to other people on that have done tear downs the Jeda is better built and a real hub where the TapTes is more, well not so much. But I have no issues with either. When I got my TapTes I got it direct as it wasn’t on Amazon. Last I checked the TapTes hub is on Amazon so if it’s something someone is buying I would get it there, and if not in stock wait. TapTes directly often says in stock, often in stock California where I am4 but can still take months. I’ve order numerous items direct from them always to take months. Also from Amazon as as long as I’m
Stock alway days.

First question are you talking about the handful of 2020 models with the standard console since 2018 but the change to one USN-C that included the Tesla charger or the 2021 models the new refreshed console and built in charger?
Yes, I have a the 2018 centre console, but with USB c.

I have actually managed to install the hub. However, sentry mode and dash cam started playing up again when using the internal USB port (on the hub). The ssd drive kept needing to be reformatted in the car and then would work for a day or so and then need formatting again. So, I switched the to the front port of the hub and so far it has been working. I will try the internal port again, but I hope it isn't faulty after the struggle to get it installed. :D

My understanding is that the TapTes isn’t a proper USB hub compared to what a quality computer hub design. It’s more of a hacked splitter. The Jeda hub is a more traditional quality hub design; but obviously at a cost.

As mentioned there is at least one YouTube video where they tear both down, compare the component design, and go through the related performance / problems. Worth a watch but I don’t have a saved link.