Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes USB HUB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my Taptes USB Hub Turned up today. It does seem to have a lot of similarities to Jeda Usb Hub (make of that what you will).
IMG_20200415_105625.jpg

The Device has 3 USB ports on the front (1 Data and power, 2 Power Only) and a USB C cable (Cant confirm if this is power only at this time)

Inside you get a stick on magnet and a USB to USB C cable. This connection is both Data and Power. The front simply pops off then you push in the bottom left.

IMG_20200415_105647.jpg

This is replacing my 3D printed mount for a USB Hub and External SSD. I had uses with getting enough power with this solution, Eg. I could not have an Xbox controller and a Phone on charge at the same time. It would not power the controller. So by getting one of these Hubs I was hoping i could get around this limitation.
IMG_20200415_105817.jpg

Fitting:
It does fit, but it was pretty tight, the angles and taper of the space means it didnt just slide in. Once i got it positioned correctly it went in fine.

It looks very good and it looks like its part of the car which is a plus.

The USB drive fitted nicely and in the space. My only downside was that i think the Magnetic pad could do with being a little stronger as i didn't quite feel planted when i put the drive in.

IMG_20200415_105855.jpg
IMG_20200415_110038.jpg

Does it work?

Yes, It actually work pretty well. My USB Drive work for both Music and Video (tested using 2020.12.5). I can charge both my phones (Work and personal, IPhone and Android) while the USB Drive is connected and the Xbox controller is connected and working.

So it does exactly what its sets out to do. (however i haven't drive around with it as i am currently under lock down)

The Elephant in the Room
Ok, I think it pretty clear that is a direct copy of the Jeda Hub. I would like to see them side by side, but from the pictures i have seen, they are pretty much the same. They maybe different inside, I cant speak to that. But from a lay persons perspective they are like for like.

I have always tried to support the innovator and avoid clones or copies. The reason I didn't in this case was the price difference and availability. The Jeda Hub to land in the UK will cost you somewhere in the region £90 to £120 (depending if you get hit by import taxes) and for a long time they were hard to get hold of in the UK. The Taptes cost me around £25 to be delivered (I will let you know if the Import tax catches up, but if it does, then lets round it to about £40). That is a lot less than Jeda, Know i Know Jeda have a lot more sunk costs in developing this product than Taptes, but that is still a significant Saving.

Do i feel good about not support the Innovator, No. Does my Wallet feel better, Very much so. The funny thing is the Jeda Hub was on my list of stuff to by for my model 3. It was pretty much near the top (after Floor matts) but the price kept putting me off, It was way to much for what it was, so i never clicked the order button.

You can order these from the Taptes site. It took about a month to get to me here in the UK.

Nice review.

I bought the Jeda hub mainly because I also wanted their wireless pad, and I felt strongly enough about buying it from the original company that R&D'd it, etc than the knockoff one. Could they sell it cheaper? Almost certainly, Taptes must be making a profit even at ~£25. The Jeda one - as nice as it is - is not worth 4x the price.

So yeah it's a difficult one. I don't know how much Jeda have spent developing this, and they have American wages to pay, but at 4 times the cost it is definitely a bitter pill to swallow, and they will continue to suffer lost sales because of the price disparity.

I would point out that the Jeda apparently does not have issues with overloading USB ports, which I believe the Taptes does.

Reactions: Mark-R
I went with the Jeda hub, in part as I also believe in supporting the original designer, but also because the Taptes one seemed to have long delivery times and online reviews suggested the quality wasn't quite as good as the Jeda one. It was easy to install and has been trouble-free.

Jeda-hub.jpg

Reactions: Durzel
Smaller items getting through post slowly - but the mats, now that's a different story! Still not arrived as they said posting them is too expensive now at around 200 dollars - I did ask them why others were still receiving them and why this wasn't mentioned on their website.

Miraculously, the website now mentions delivery issues with regards to the mats. Considering the circumstances it's not unexpected, but a little bit honesty goes a long way

So my Taptes USB Hub Turned up today. It does seem to have a lot of similarities to Jeda Usb Hub (make of that what you will).
View attachment 532575

The Device has 3 USB ports on the front (1 Data and power, 2 Power Only) and a USB C cable (Cant confirm if this is power only at this time)

Inside you get a stick on magnet and a USB to USB C cable. This connection is both Data and Power. The front simply pops off then you push in the bottom left.

View attachment 532576

This is replacing my 3D printed mount for a USB Hub and External SSD. I had uses with getting enough power with this solution, Eg. I could not have an Xbox controller and a Phone on charge at the same time. It would not power the controller. So by getting one of these Hubs I was hoping i could get around this limitation.
View attachment 532577

Fitting:
It does fit, but it was pretty tight, the angles and taper of the space means it didnt just slide in. Once i got it positioned correctly it went in fine.

It looks very good and it looks like its part of the car which is a plus.

The USB drive fitted nicely and in the space. My only downside was that i think the Magnetic pad could do with being a little stronger as i didn't quite feel planted when i put the drive in.

View attachment 532581 View attachment 532582

Does it work?

Yes, It actually work pretty well. My USB Drive work for both Music and Video (tested using 2020.12.5). I can charge both my phones (Work and personal, IPhone and Android) while the USB Drive is connected and the Xbox controller is connected and working.

So it does exactly what its sets out to do. (however i haven't drive around with it as i am currently under lock down)

The Elephant in the Room
Ok, I think it pretty clear that is a direct copy of the Jeda Hub. I would like to see them side by side, but from the pictures i have seen, they are pretty much the same. They maybe different inside, I cant speak to that. But from a lay persons perspective they are like for like.

I have always tried to support the innovator and avoid clones or copies. The reason I didn't in this case was the price difference and availability. The Jeda Hub to land in the UK will cost you somewhere in the region £90 to £120 (depending if you get hit by import taxes) and for a long time they were hard to get hold of in the UK. The Taptes cost me around £25 to be delivered (I will let you know if the Import tax catches up, but if it does, then lets round it to about £40). That is a lot less than Jeda, Know i Know Jeda have a lot more sunk costs in developing this product than Taptes, but that is still a significant Saving.

Do i feel good about not support the Innovator, No. Does my Wallet feel better, Very much so. The funny thing is the Jeda Hub was on my list of stuff to by for my model 3. It was pretty much near the top (after Floor matts) but the price kept putting me off, It was way to much for what it was, so i never clicked the order button.

You can order these from the Taptes site. It took about a month to get to me here in the UK.

Some of the cost will also be materials and quality. The jeda one doesn't overload the usb ports whereas I think the taptes one can? Not sure if anyone has tried that though?
Saying that I have just purchased the taptes one as not planning on putting lots of devices in there and much much cheaper!
Guesses on when it will actually arrive on a postcard....

Some of the cost will also be materials and quality. The jeda one doesn't overload the usb ports whereas I think the taptes one can? Not sure if anyone has tried that though?
Saying that I have just purchased the taptes one as not planning on putting lots of devices in there and much much cheaper!
Can someone point me to some info about this “feature” of overloading the USB ports? Several mentions of it, but I’d not heard about it.

I doubt that Tesla would let you do that anyway - the USB ports will be electronically protected like everything else in the car, and if they were overloaded I think they would just cut out.

Reactions: Adopado
Mine arrived today, ordered 12th March so not a bad turnaround - hopefully you’re a isn’t delayed too much.
I agree with Palros on the cost, I’d normally go with the original (buy cheap, buy twice) but at 4 times the cost it just seemed crazy (plus the wife might’ve killed me if she knew how much I’d spent on the Jeda version).

Can someone point me to some info about this “feature” of overloading the USB ports? Several mentions of it, but I’d not heard about it.

I doubt that Tesla would let you do that anyway - the USB ports will be electronically protected like everything else in the car, and if they were overloaded I think they would just cut out.

Living Tesla has good review on limitations of Taptes and comparison with Jeda

-
-

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
From what I understand, and it's not much, the Taptes basically is a USB splitter internally, whereas the Jeda is a USB hub. Neither are powered, obviously, but it means that the Jeda does power and data over all 4 ports, whereas the Taptes only does data over the first USB-A port, I believe?

Also, as I understand it, one or more ports don't work when there is too much of a power drain on the other ones. Again, this would due to it being a basic splitter internally.

For a lot of people though it probably won't actually make much difference in practice, but something to bear in mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: M3noob and Roy W.
So it arrived at the end of the week but the compartment is too small for my usb laptop HDD enclosure I have! Don't really want to spend another £50 for another HDD so might end up sending back or take a hack saw to make it fit.

This is the enclosure I have on my TB laptop drive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C

So it arrived at the end of the week but the compartment is too small for my usb laptop HDD enclosure I have! Don't really want to spend another £50 for another HDD so might end up sending back or take a hack saw to make it fit.

This is the enclosure I have on my TB laptop drive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C
I've got the same problem. I've ordered a fix, hopefully, I plan to leave the SSD without an enclosure and have ordered a usb3 to SATA with a right angle on the SATA side. I'll get back and let you know if it works when it arrives.. hopefully next week.
BLCR USB 3.0 to SATA iii 3 15Pin+7Pin 22Pin Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5''3.5'' SSD HDD External Hard Disk Drive

Reactions: DaddyCool
Been using my Taptes hub and Taptes wireless charger for a few months now. No quality issues. Have the two wireless charger cables, Roadie, and two wireless joysticks all plugged in and everything works fine with no issues. Quite happy, especially considering the large price difference vs the Jeda versions.
Same here. Everything I need works with taptes: wireless charger and Xbox controller without any issues. I went for small ssd with it. 240gb PNY. The only disadvantage is cable of pny ssd... A bit large still managed to fit it into disclosure.

PNY Elite 240GB USB 3.1 Portable Solid State Drive (SSD) - (PSD1CS1050-240-FFS),Black https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GQPXBQC/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_obGREbKQ798WG

Same here. Everything I need works with taptes: wireless charger and Xbox controller without any issues. I went for small ssd with it. 240gb PNY. The only disadvantage is cable of pny ssd... A bit large still managed to fit it into disclosure.

PNY Elite 240GB USB 3.1 Portable Solid State Drive (SSD) - (PSD1CS1050-240-FFS),Black https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GQPXBQC/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_obGREbKQ798WG
That’s the same small SSD I’ve got. The cable is rather thick and clunky, but I swapped mine for the cable that came with an external hard drive. The cable is about twice as long now, but much thinner. It’s a standard USB3 cable.

I've got the same problem. I've ordered a fix, hopefully, I plan to leave the SSD without an enclosure and have ordered a usb3 to SATA with a right angle on the SATA side. I'll get back and let you know if it works when it arrives.. hopefully next week.
BLCR USB 3.0 to SATA iii 3 15Pin+7Pin 22Pin Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5''3.5'' SSD HDD External Hard Disk Drive

Think the physical width is too small to even fit the hd without the enclosure so the only way would be to get a smaller usb thumb drive or a mini SSD drive :(

Reactions: M3noob
Think the physical width is too small to even fit the hd without the enclosure
so the only way would be to get a smaller usb thumb drive or a mini SSD drive :(
If you only use the USB Hub to hide all the wires and the SSD so it cannot be easily removed,
I put instead a console tray to cover the hole.

If you press hard on the tray, it becomes hard to remove it, and you need to use your two hands to do so.
So if an intruder visit your car, unless this person is really familiar with the Model 3, no one would notice the hidden SSD.

41IX1AzlfbL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: Jez_GB and m3p_uk
Sorry to say that it doesn't work the hard drive one way and the converter end the other way, are still too thick to allow the USB to fit into the socket. i'll have to try something else.